you learn from your mistakes

I Know this subjects probably been talked about before but i would like your advice. Went out fishing in the boat on wednesday and got a few fish so on the way in decieded to try the new scaling bag. Been fishing in boats for quite a few years now but never used scaling bag before. Bought a bag a few months ago and used it a pt vic with some whiting a worked great. On wednesday used it with some garfish and it smashed them to pieces. Scaled them fine just ripped there heads off and they looked liked they been bashed around alot. Put some tommies in and they didnt gat scaled at all. A friend then tells me of some horror stories of the whole bags of fish being lost and fish getting damaged badly. I m not sure what you guys think but I ve mad the mistake once and i think the time it saves you is not worth the risk. I know garfish a soft and probably not the best fish to be draged behind a boat so does anyone use a scaling bag and if so what sort of tips could you pass on. thanks Bocky.

I've only used them for Whiting. Make sure you use the small mesh bag inside, as the fish will stretch out and may go through the larger netting.Replace the swivel with a heavy duty one of ya own and make sure the bag is firmly secured.It only takes a few minutes, so dont overdo it or you'll find the fish do get bashed about and the tails and fins tear apart.I dont see the need for Gar, as all you have to do is run ya hand down a Garfish from the head to the tail and all the scales are gone.

Most people would disagree with me but i won't use a scaling bag because imo they knock the fish around too much.I don't see the point of chilling your fish down in the esky during the day then chucking them in a bag and plonking them into 20degree seawater then dragging them behind the boat.I like my fish in pristine condition and even after scaling i rinse them in the ice water first then a 5 second spray to wash off the slime.There are other drawbacks like lost fish and making just size fish go undersize by knocking off the fins,all of this to save 30 mins of scaling when you have probably spent 7-8 hrs fishing, driving to the ramp,washing your boat etc.I could go on but i'm probably just going to bore you.Ranger...have you ever caught a garfish?...plenty of scales are left on the fish after the old "wipe with the hand trick" especially near the tail,but each to there own and if you like a feed of scales then go for it.As you may have gathered by now i'm pretty pedantic(some would say anal) when it comes to looking after my catch :blink: :silly: cheers brenton

:laugh::laugh: im a bit like waterboy i dont catch enough whiting to worry about scaling them :P ,,, but i do use it very often for squid i dont like ink in my boat so 15 squid in a bag cleans them good even if it dose pull the heads off it saves me doing it ,,,,and i dont use 2 nets one is ok and i havent lost a single squid yet the idea is not to drive like a cowboy just enough speed to get the bag on the plane usually use 5meters of rope ,,, cheers freddyboy Posted Image

untitled-20091113.JPG

I think bentons got the right idea. We put our catch in a ice slurry to cool them down and kill them humaninly then just to heat them back up in sea water? I think ill stick to the old fashion way by hand. The bag sounds like a great idea but I d rather not risk the catch i d spent hours catching to save 15 mins. We used the bag inside of the bag and i wasnt sure if that was right but thats what your supposed to do according to some friends and not impresive. You learn from your mistakes thats what they say.

freddyboy wrote:

:laugh::laugh: im a bit like waterboy i dont catch enough whiting to worry about scaling them :P ,,, but i do use it very often for squid i dont like ink in my boat so 15 squid in a bag cleans them good even if it dose pull the heads off it saves me doing it ,,,,and i dont use 2 nets one is ok and i havent lost a single squid yet the idea is not to drive like a cowboy just enough speed to get the bag on the plane usually use 5meters of rope ,,, cheers freddyboy Posted Image

After cleaning 10 squid today, i LIKE ur idea freddyboy.. :):)
SandyWhiting wrote:

You shoulda seem me sink this arvo..GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!Not to mention me hands, Black, I can normally pull the head without making a mess with the ink..Today must of been an OFF day.. :dry:

its good for the complection... also good to make stripes under your eyes.try it hahahahaha

Never used a scaling bag for scaling fish seen it done and the fish do get notched aroundBut the squid idea is a good one, I have heard of people using thenRemove the head and cut the tip off the tail so water can go through the squid tube I have a pic of some thing being notched about in a scaling bag Man it was hot today Posted Image

Scaling_bag.jpg

shane wrote:

Never used a scaling bag for scaling fish seen it done and the fish do get notched aroundBut the squid idea is a good one, I have heard of people using thenRemove the head and cut the tip off the tail so water can go through the squid tube I have a pic of some thing being notched about in a scaling bag Man it was hot today Posted Image

Ha ha ha ha ha LMAO :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

only troubles ive ever experienced with scaling bags are old bags disintegrating losing all fish and big white toothy latched on to one losing all the catch - that one we didnt try grab what was left floating fish might ave only been an appetiser that day otherwise.i only drag whiting and squid in a scaling bag as whiting dont get too knocked around by the process. with the squid as i would rather have strips than rings i remove the head and quill/feather/backbone whatever you wish to call it and slice down the tube. this cleans the best as by dragging your squid it tenderises it a heap too. havent had a chewy squid since dragging them