big lightning storm tonight

Great pics nev.if you have a cannon IXUS camera, you can get custom firmware that takes photos on movement automatically, like when it sees lightning (alot faster reaction than your finger :D ). Lookup CHDK, does alot more than the standard firmware.I'm guessing the pros either record the whole lot on highspeed high def film then edit out stills, or have light triggers for their still cams (external sensor that tells the cam to take pics when it sees a sudden flash).The last storm like that we had, me and some mates were watching it roll in at the beach. Nice warm night, lightning getting closer and closer... one of my mates was starting to freak out and had to go hide in the car :D

Kingsley wrote:

Great pics nev.if you have a cannon IXUS camera, you can get custom firmware that takes photos on movement automatically, like when it sees lightning (alot faster reaction than your finger :D ). Lookup CHDK, does alot more than the standard firmware.I'm guessing the pros either record the whole lot on highspeed high def film then edit out stills, or have light triggers for their still cams (external sensor that tells the cam to take pics when it sees a sudden flash).The last storm like that we had, me and some mates were watching it roll in at the beach. Nice warm night, lightning getting closer and closer... one of my mates was starting to freak out and had to go hide in the car :D

we had a cracker storm a mth ago... best i can remember seeing.i got a couple of emails from work woth a HEAP of photos this bloke had took.... NOBODY manages this many top pics in one night, and someone that knows the bloke said he DOES as you said... films them, then gets the frame by frame images and saves them.great idea, but takes the challenege for me out of it.mind you , he got some EPIC pctures.these are just some of the pics he got...im loadig another now, and by christ it looks like it hit a ship anchored in the gulf... hit or VERY close to it.these are from the top of mt laura..Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageTHESE NEXT TWO, ARE FROM HUMMOCK HILL, LOOKING OUT OVER THE FISHING JETTY, AND OUT TO SEE...YOU CAN SEE IN THE FIRST PIC THE SHIP AT ANCHOR..LOOK WHERE THE LIGHNING HITS IN THE 2ND PIC.Posted ImagePosted Image
Kingsley wrote:

With older film cameras Time exposures ( where the shutter is left open for seconds or minutes or even hours at a time) were used quite often for lightning photography. With the "new" digital gear either time exposures again or just shooting multiple shots then editing what u have until you find the best pic(s. The light sensor idea is a good one too but is probably used by few photographers.
vb4me wrote:

Kingsley wrote:

With older film cameras Time exposures ( where the shutter is left open for seconds or minutes or even hours at a time) were used quite often for lightning photography. With the "new" digital gear either time exposures again or just shooting multiple shots then editing what u have until you find the best pic(s. The light sensor idea is a good one too but is probably used by few photographers.
my first camera when i was 17, was a yashica, mum and dad got from singapore on the way back from a holiday to the uk.ive still got it around someplace, but when the first daughter was born, we lashed out and bought a pentax z10..great camera, still is a great camera, but its 35mm film.bit outdated now,i once used the yashica, to try for lightning, and took 24 pics, with the lens cap on :blush: this camera i use now, is a point and shoot.its a kodak, and its fitted with a firworks mode... so i set up on tripod, and push the button... HOPEFULLY i luck out and a flash happens and i capture it.out of the 4 photos i got the ther night, it took me about 400 pics to get those...good thing with digital is DELETE...DELETE ...DELETE...
rod_evans wrote:

tried the same thing myself came up with zilch said to the wife i have more chance of getting hit by lightning than gettinga photo.cheers rod

definatly more luck than skill involved with gettng a good shotive taken prob no more than 8okish pics... ive taken at least 3000 duds.
  • 5 months later...

Nice pics there fellas try the tripod with the camera set on fire works Nev and continual shooting might only get 3 frames a second with the Kodack, better still put it out there for a new Pentax Kx for your next birthday , its has rave reviews plus you can use your old lens from your pentax that you already have. I have had one for 6 months now and love it.