Just so other threads arent taken off topic this thread can be used to discuss bag or size limits of any species.Just been watching an episode of hook line and sinker where the boys made it down to south Oz for some snapper fishing and crabbing. While crabbing one of the presenters asked the obvious question of how many are you allowed to take. I think the reply of 40 per person per day shocked him a little. His response was wow that a lot of crab. The guest taking them crabbing and fishing is a charter operator who straight away said that he felt that the bag limit on these crabs is overly generous and would like to see that down sized to 20 per person per day as it was a more realistic number for someone to be able to eat and store short term. No mention of crab numbers dwindling over the years the opposite in fact, but the attitude to me of this charter operator is something that I was happy to see. It is about taking what you need not what you can.

agreed mate. i dont go crabbing.. but when you see people coming back from places.. and they have nets for everyone i their family.. and are taking EVERYTHING they can take... it disgusts me. a 5yr odl kid been given an allocation of 40 crabs when he will be lucky to eat 2-3 crabs in a session..a lot of things in the fishing world really need to be looked into..and better policing of the current rules and limits!!!

I reckon you could halve the crab limit and it would still be fair. As you said del take a couple of kids with ya and the bag limit increases.I love my snapper fishing but I even think the bag on that is excessive 2 large and 10 ruggers if ya bag out. Thats a lot of fish to eat. My bro in law loves his snapper fishing too ,has been out in his boat and been back in under an hour cos he got his 2 large already and he knows the chance of gettin a rugger is low so came back in.Its nice to catch fish for hours on end and why not but if get ya feed and a few for the freezer why not catch and release. Theres always tomorrow or next week to get out and do it again

yeah our trip next weekend will be primarily to fill the esky. as we wont often get the chance to get away for a snapper weekend. so yes we will be meet fisherman for the weekend. but as we eat a lot of seafood it certainly wont be wasted!!!!im hoping we catch enough to start catch and release fishing!!!

I agree that’s bag limits are crazy in my eyesAnd is always going be a hot topicI think 120 crabs is insane and 180 garfish also that’s me And I can’t understand why the bag limit on king george whiting is 12 why not 10 we are metric after all After saying that I know a couple that go on there annual holiday and really only fish for garfish for two weeks and they come home with there freezer full and that is there fish for the year They can only go fishing once a year in that time period because of were they live and jobs etcNow to me that is ok there not killing fish for no reason and are sticking to bag limits etcI think it come down to only keeping what you want to eat or use for bait etcThere is one fish I know that is in trouble Southern Blue Fin TunaAustralia has to cut there catch by 30% all because of greed Japan have been caught with exceeding there catch limit by 200,000 tons And they say the breeding stock is down to 5% of 1940 levelLooks like we could witness the extinction of one of the great fish in our watersAnd I don’t think rec bag limits had anything to do with this problem its just greed the love for money

well it will start full.. and we will do our best to empty it to fill it back up with fish..Shane, i have to agree with recreational fishing limits being really no effect compared to the pro's.we take what we can eat and we catch by hand... we dont RAPE the sea of everything that is caught by nets etc with out morals.once again Australia will do whats right.. and japan will take what they like.its all research...

just back on the crabs for a minute i agree the quota should be halved and no im not saying this because i cant catch them and am jelous of the pros im saying this because they dont freeze well and even pickled 40 crabs = about 5 jars no one needs that much each trip..i do have a question though i never keep female blues legal or not i just figure leave the mums to do their job and in theory there should be more around in future does this make sense or by taking the males is this procces being defeated anyway YOUR THOUGHTS :S

shane wrote:

I agree that’s bag limits are crazy in my eyesAnd is always going be a hot topicI think 120 crabs is insane and 180 garfish also that’s me And I can’t understand why the bag limit on king george whiting is 12 why not 10 we are metric after all After saying that I know a couple that go on there annual holiday and really only fish for garfish for two weeks and they come home with there freezer full and that is there fish for the year They can only go fishing once a year in that time period because of were they live and jobs etcNow to me that is ok there not killing fish for no reason and are sticking to bag limits etcI think it come down to only keeping what you want to eat or use for bait etc

Rock and and a hard place, BUT I lean to say I agree, coz they are NOT out every single day bagging out day in and day out coz they can, coz its "THERE LEGAL RIGHT, if I hear that again Im gonna slap someone....
carps wrote:

just back on the crabs for a minute i agree the quota should be halved and no im not saying this because i cant catch them and am jelous of the pros im saying this because they dont freeze well and even pickled 40 crabs = about 5 jars no one needs that much each trip..i do have a question though i never keep female blues legal or not i just figure leave the mums to do their job and in theory there should be more around in future does this make sense or by taking the males is this procces being defeated anyway YOUR THOUGHTS :S

Mate Im the same. Qld rules were no jenny's at all and I apply the same down here. The more females the more babies. Fish for the future. One of my lads had a ball catchin crabs the other week with me netting in a boat (pity I kept throwin em back thinkin they were under sized) :blush: and I hope that he can continue to do that for years to come

Teach them to preserve, so each generation can enjoy for many many years ahead,you can enjoy fishing in so many ways, when you catch and release, cool B) IMO with alot of peoples attitudes, and the scary thing is iv read the "MINORITY" here.. :dry: I dont even wanna think about the rest of them out there who dont give a toss.. :unsure: Im NO greenie btw :silly:

Rock and and a hard place, BUT I lean to say I agree, coz they are NOT out every single day bagging out day in and day out coz they can, coz its "THERE LEGAL RIGHT, if I hear that again Im gonna slap someone.... ... ITS MY LEGAL RIGHT TO TAKE SNAPPER....hehehe... not that im going to... i get enough for mum, and maybe one of two for the lads at work...i sometimes take one in as a treat, and we chuck it on the bbq..will be looking for a nice one this year for chritamas day.no turkey for me :( im day shift christmas day and boxking day....so a snapper will have to do,

Gday all, i think the crab and garfish bag limits definetly seem too excesive , but carps i think your missing out m8 on those chick crabs. ;) To me the females seem more meaty and better tasting, and the males seem rather empty most times and not as sweet.oh :lol: i usually only eat about 10 crabs a year id say , so no expert on them, just the way it seems to me. and they would be caught by me too. :) cheers

I know we are almost on the same pageAnd we all want our grandkids to be able catch some fish and I hope they all canI about 15 years ago I sent an email to local government I gave them my fishing diary all the blue crabs time of year etc I love my crabs and they have always been part of our Xmas lunch I have always gone to Pt Parham/ Lowerlight and managed a feed Ill give you a run down 10-11-02 Thompson beach 40 undersize crabs came home with zero20 -12-02 Lowerlight 60 undersize 6 keepers I have never ever seen this so bad in all the time I have been going thereCrabs are always around and have been a great size, I got so desperate I went to ardrossan and every crab was undersize at that point I then cracked and done a dummy spitAt that point I thought sending my diary was that the right thing to do and at that point wasNow Blue Crabs are not the issue they are know again in good numbers and good sizeI for one cant see why Gulf St Vincent and Spencer have different bag limits anyway Let alone west of Lincoln there allowed 30cm KGW COME ON !!!!!!!!!Ok that might have been a slight spit, but I think I am over it And no one here wants to talk Tuna

Man I should never post after having a fewWhat I was trying to say I noticed the my crab catches getting smaller and harder to find I keep a fishing diary and only used to right when I done wellAnd I was having more bad days than good ones so I decided to write everything down I grabbed as much data as I could and sent it in, I was thanked for my input But it didn’t really change a thingCommercial crabbers were taking around 21,000 tonnes in1984 40,000 tonnes in1989 92,000 tonnes in1992284,000 tonnesin1996And my diary was showing me something was wrongI don’t bother going to these places anymore, but you can still get a feed in these areas and it can be hard workI still think the pros are having a field day but as long as they don’t wipe them outThere should be room for the both of us