Mulloway surf reel

I've got a Daiwa Sealine X 50, it's a great beach reel, holds 300 yards of 40 pound mono, has a nice smooth drag, and casts very well. I haven't caught any big mullies with it, but it handled a fairly big eagle ray a few nights ago no problems. I've got it paired with a Tica Dolphin rod that I brought from the US, it's a great series of rods but unfortunately not available here.

Depends If you wanted spin or over head. Top of the tree would be the Saltiga surf over head and spin. Other reels that would be good are Daiwa emblem pro, Penn Spinfisher, Daiwa Basia, Calcutta 700b, Fin-nor offshore. I reckon the Saltiga surf reel with a saltiga ballistic surf rod would be the way to go, The rod doesnt have a backbone so can you run overhead or spin... Any saltiga reel is bullet proof

Guest davidm#2

if your going for spin,i would recomendthe new shimano LC (long cast) baitrunner,grerat rear drag smooth as u like, as name says your able to cast lon distances with ease.for the rod a 12ft wilson mulloway special is ideal, sturdy, if u cant turn a big fishes head with that outfit there something wrongcheers

Only thing to remember with the Saltiga is they have a very fast spool ,and it helps to have a fair bit of experience with an overhead to be able to fish one confidently especially at night.They are great once used to them,very tough and smooth,but the super casting abitlity they claim isnt that much of a plus unless the reel is used to its potential.Even better is the newer one on the market the Millionare 7HT mag,way more user friendly than the saltigas ,cast better,and boasts all the same features such as crrb ,digigear ect,but more user friendly in the casting department.Cheers B)

Love the look of those big arse new baitrunners. Reckon one of them would be perfect . Should be able to fit heaps of 30 pound mono one one too. Not to sure on the rod but ya should be able to find something awesome that will leave you with plenty of change from $1000. Good luck whatever you get mate.

samboman wrote:

yeah there will be lots of practice down the park with what eva i get :):)

Sambo, its obviously your call, but IMHO, if u dont have experience casting larger overheads with large baits, in less than ideal conditions, I'd be sticking with a spinning reel. Casting on the oval is no substitute for the real thing & i'm sure you wouldnt want such a trip ruined on account of your frustrations casting the outfit.Your call obviously ;)

just have to add my piece...of your looking for the indestructable, wont fall apart in the sand like just about every other reel mentioned, (imho) cant beat the alvey.ive seen pics of one of the biggest mullaway caught at yalata, and it was done on an alvey...drop it, kick it, throw it in the sand, rinse it off in the ocean, and carry on fishing.an alvey 650C can be had for around 160 -200 bills, matched to a rod designed for an alvey,(75-300 bucks) and you will have change for fuel..i stand by saying when mastered, the alvey will consistantly outcast every other reel mentioned.NOTHING IN THE OCEAN CANT BE CAUGHT ON AN ALVEY....

Agree with CK here,Its windy, waves are rolling in and out. Ive been using o/heads for at least 25 years and I would still recomend an Eggbeater too.Go a baitrunner if bait fishing. Stick to conventional eggbeater if spinning, bit lighter casting all day long.Far far easier to use. Alveys are awesome but 1 - 1 retreive can be a bit S L O W on the retrieve.