wheres a good spot for mullies in the port area ?

you have missed the best time. go and fish near the sugar wharf... there i said it!!! all you need to work out now is the best time of year. you'll have to spend a few weeks there tho. live baits one on the bottom and one under a float. now you almost have everything you need. patience being the big factor.the reason you all now know is i no longer care.... have fun! just let e'm go afterwards, after all you wouldn't eat a peice of crap would you, similar to fish that live in that part of the river, full of toxins and heavy metals.

Anywhere along the edge of the River, drift with livies straight under you about a metre or two off the bottom.Good spots are the bend near pelican point and snapper point. The bubbles @ the new power station. All the wharfs at Outer harbour, all the bridges, sugar wharfs, adjoining slipways. Any of the deeper sections in the barker inlet and Nth Arm,Low tide is a great time to fish the deeper holes in the shallower sections of the barker. Start to come on strong in the barker around April every year, .... with the early cold snap wouldnt be suprised if they are there NOW.Late April and May are primo for the main body of the river. Bait doesnt matter if you caught it in the river they'll eat it,.. even toadies as long as they are fresh and lively. Better to use a fillet than a dead or lifeless bait. Never nail ya baits to the bottom, let livies free swim or on the drift. Big fillets should be drifted into and thru strike zones not cast out and nailed to the deck. GL

Its the funny thing about mullies, you might know the spots and time of year etc.. but i have found there still illusive and you might have to put in weeks of work to finally nail one.So best of luck.Last year i spent almost a month on the same spot only to be blown away countless times and land a half doz legal ones.

Personally Id stay away from structure whats the point in fishing for 50lbers near a bridge ????Why freeze your proverbials off only to get hung up on a pylon???Work the areas where the fish can take 50m.If fishing the edge of the channel or the deeper holes fish an hour either side of the low tide.

It depends, If you are fishing the deeper holes in the barker its the best, free swimming sambo AWESOME ! Mullies will come up and take em off the surface.If fishing the main body of the port river where its almost 40ft and you are using salmon u need long running rig about 1 or 2 m off the bottom. If your using trumpeters or bream they will naturally dive for the bottom and free swimming is ok. Fillets are best free drifting too, get them down deep and then drift at the same speed as the current, irresistable. ;)

I suppose at times it might be ok but i've had the situation several times when i've sat there for 6hrs for 0 only to see my Livie going Boing boing boing all over the surface and escape what was chasing it,then you have the trouble of controlling them if you have a couple out and they inevitably manage to tangle themselves up regularly.So for me it will only be floats with ball sinkers and weighted lines near the bottom.Never tried the drifting with fillet bait thing though,you would need a sinker for that Eh?? cheers brenton

I only fish for them on the turn, not a lot of movement so it gets down ok. My mully fishn consists of about 2 hrs max. After that I do other stuff.Anything naturally moving with the current will get nailed for more readily than anything unnaturally glued to the deck.I once had 2 x 20 lb fish race to the surface and SMASH a sambo that went airborne and got nailed as soon as it landed back in the water. AWESOME STUFFTrust me no way a salmon will ever outgun a mully especially not with a trace slowing it down. If you find a decent hole in any river system at low tide the mullies got no where else to go they have to wait in the hole til the tide rises again. You free swim a livey into the hole or even a decent slab bait they'll take it if they are there. If you able to anchor outside the hole and work a h/body or s/p immitating a bait fishing fighting the current thumbing the spool releasing a foot or two every few seconds works well too.Float with a running rig below it is an awesome option Big B. Fished next to a bloke who nailed about 20 fish ranging from 3 - 8 kg one morning fishing that way in fairly deep water using the stop beads.

Fished for nothing else for some time exclusively in the Pt River. The low tide that sat between 11.30 and about 12.30 was a ripper tide to fish. In my log the 11.30 low tide was almost a certainty of capture, often multiple.I only fish the 11.30 low tide for about 45mins b4 low and about an hour after run up thats it, usually got one.April and May where my most succesful months by far.U put in the time around those tides in those months if your spots half decent YOU WILL GET ONE.I rarely fished for mullies at night or during the summer but,.......Friends of mine used to fish nights in summer and nailed multiple fish to 30lbs almost every night. Obviously theres other times that you will catch them but Im just offering my experiences

Gotta agree with Highfly. A couple of hours before and after the low tide seems to be the best and Autumn was the season.Although it's been a few years, we fished along the edge of the channels and creeks around Torrens Island, always where a creek drained into the main channel or a smaller creek ran into a larger one.Night time was the most productive for us, with live baits the best. Small Trumpeters were great, along with Mullet and Salmon Trout. Fished them unweighted if possible, or with a sinker to keep them about mid water if the tide was strong.Our largest was 12kg's, with the majority around 4 - 8kg's. (Also caught quite a few undersize ones at times).The wrecks are also good at night, but bust offs are common.