help with a rod choice.

Guest Noob fisher

Guest Noob fisher

hey guys im wondering if theres any cheap rod and reel combos that are good for flicking lures around for redfin, sts and bream. im not looking for any fancy just something that will barely do the job,cheers noob

Not sure their buddy. havent bought one in ages.These combos are not bottom of the range (Ie not as crappy as you could get). Most Rexy combo's are fairly okay. Good value for money.Not sure though, just go check em out. I know they do some good combos for trout and whiting so I would say you could find something light enough for the breambo's :):):):):):) I would be guessing at around 40-50bucks.

Guest shagging

I saw a daiwa sweepfire at kmart 6 foot 2 piece for 69 bucks thats the best you will hope to get for that price.You could go the JW combo's but.... not the best maybe try and look to spend a little more so it might last longer!my choice is shimano good luck :)

OK! For flicking light lures around you need graphite around 7 foot, and you wont get that a k-mart.For budget end gear to get you started, maybe something like a Shimano Catana/Sienna combo shouldn't set you back much more than about $100-150 max.Berkley dropshot is a damn fine rod for around $80 new. Moving up a step from that maybe Shimano/Miller Raiders at just over $100 or a Raider/Symetre combo for just over $150.As I said, get into the tacklestore where they have a decent range and they can line a handful of budget priced combos up for you.Seriously, I recon it'd be better to get something on layby for a couple of weeks, than doing ya dough on something cheaper which isn't gonna do the job properly.Keep ya eyes on the classifieds here too, coz there's always cheap secondhand gear going. A Daiwa Excellor Plus was sold today for $40, and the other day a Berkley Dropshot also went for $40.

Guest Noob fisher
Ranger wrote:

OK! For flicking light lures around you need graphite around 7 foot, and you wont get that a ka-mart.For budget end gear to get you started, maybe something like a Shimano Catana/sieena combo shouldn't set you back much more than about $100-150 max.Berkley dropshot is a damn fine rod for around $80. Moving up a step from that maybe Shimano/Miller Raiders at just over $100.As I said, get into the tacklestore where they have a decent range and they can line a handful of budget priced combos up for you.Seriously, I recon it'd be better to get something on layby for a couple of weeks, than doing ya dough on something cheaper which isn't gonna do the job properly.Keep ya eyes on the classifieds here too, coz there's always cheap secondhand gear going. A Daiwa Excellor Plus was sold today for $40, and the other day a Berkley Dropshot also went for $40.

cheers guys, i will keep a look at out on here cause they seem to be goin cheap

i'd reccomend a shimano raider finesse bream rod and sienna/sedona combo, lost mine overboard but loved it sooo much im replacing it in a week or so :laugh: im currently using a starlo stix pro tournement mid spin with sedona 4000 reel, matter of fact i have two of these combos.. quite capable of pulling in large mullies and snapper, but the rod is a tad more expensive..

Guest Noob fisher

thanks guys, ill head into home of the fisherman in a week or two and have a look around, the guys in there havent stuffed me about before so im sure they will direct me in the right path, if not ray n annes for the bigger range.

Waterboy wrote:

Shimano has a special on catana/ Sienna 2500 combos for $100 at paricipating stores. Great entry level outfits with 12 months warranty on the rod and 10 year manafacturers warranty on the reel. See if your local has them ;) Mark

yep this ;) this was my first plastics combo and great value combo for flicking lightweights around
Guest shagging
Noob fisher wrote:

hey guys im wondering if theres any cheap rod and reel combos that are good for flicking lures around for redfin, sts and bream. im not looking for any fancy just something that will barely do the job,cheers noob

hey champ did you check out that daiwa i was telling you about at k mart? :)
OLD SALTY wrote:

can vouch for the catana good stick :)

i thought it was till mine snapped about 10cm from the top of the butt of the rod wen i hooked a fish..... grrrr still waiting to see if shimano will get me the warranty for it... but they doubt thaat they will.... im just always unlucky grrr.... I got an shimano et soft plastics rod fully graphite and all 7ft for $50 at big w and ive had this for years, and hooked many big bream, mullies and a kingy or to on it and its still goin strong....Brayden
Guest shagging
Noob fisher wrote:

i havent been lookin yet, thinkin bout gettin a berkley dropshot. ben gave me a reel so im not too sure yet

well you got the reel keep an eye out on the forum for any one selling a rod! i have bought several things from members on this site and am very happy with what i have purchased! :)
Guest shagging
Noob fisher wrote:

i went to home of the fisherman today, michael gave me a really good deal on a pin point pro tournoment rod rated 3/5kg, that and soem good braid for 120ish

Good stuff your set now! :):)