Any rod builders/repairers here?

Guest dabilda

Guest dabilda

I have a 7' Ian Miller Raider that on it's last outing had the tip snapped approx 8" (top 2 guides).Not sure if it can be repaired, maybe a new top section made or just cut my losses, throw it away and buy a new one.Any advice appreciated. Pics can be taken if wanted.DaBilda

Unfortunately, being graphite, I don't think even Rob can repair this one. Graphite CAN be repaired, but there's very few places which will attempt it, and ya might have to end up at a tennis shop to have this work done, where they'll stick a graphite plug down the shaft to join the two halves.Ya might have to count ya losses on this one, and now call it ya new: 6'4" 6kg Ian Miller mini -raider boat rod.

Guest dabilda

Unfortunately, being graphite, I don't think even Rob can repair this one. Graphite CAN be repaired, but there's very few places which will attempt it, and ya might have to end up at a tennis shop to have this work done, where they'll stick a graphite plug down the shaft to join the two halves.Ya might have to count ya losses on this one, and now call it ya new: 6'4" 6kg Ian Miller mini -raider boat rod.

Sorta been thinking along those lines myself. New tip guide on what is now the new end and away I go again.DaBilda

Sorta been thinking along those lines myself. New tip guide on what is now the new end and away I go again.

Dat'd be MY course of action! And when ya think about it, go up a reel size to about a 3000, and it wouldn't be a bad lil rod for snapper, flathead, salmon, etc, from the boat.Regardless, it gives you a good excuse to git into the tacklestore now and look for a 7' replacement stick! There's some mighty sweet one's to choose from now too! {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

Dabilda, I had almost exactly the same thing happen to a 7' Albagraph spin rod. The rod was leaning up against a wall and fell over at the exact moment the wind blew a door shut on it. 9 inches gone off the tip.Luckily the break was between two guides. I had a short piece of old graphite rod about 40 mm long, and glued that in place as a splint on the outside. That was 12 years ago, and it's still going strong, and to be honest it made no difference to the feel of the rod. It looks a little bit daggy, but who cares, it's one sweet rod.

I mate fixed one up for me by putting a short piece of metal rod down the guts of both pieces glueing them inplace and then binding over the top.It works perfectly and doesn,t even look too daggy.Mind you i probably wouldn't of bothered myself but its the rod i lend to guests so its all good cheers brenton

Repairs like that tend to put a "tight" spot into the working curve of the Rod. If the break is in the upper section of the rod, particularly near the tip then the "action' could also be effected by the stiffness of the join.A join in about the centre would be similar to any 2 piece but if the tip is involved I'd write it off or place a tip eye on the break and use it for a Squid rig {SMILIES_PATH}/smiley.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/smiley.gif

Guest fishum

I have a 7' Ian Miller Raider that on it's last outing had the tip snapped approx 8" (top 2 guides).Not sure if it can be repaired, maybe a new top section made or just cut my losses, throw it away and buy a new one.Any advice appreciated. Pics can be taken if wanted.DaBilda

What suburb are you in
Guest dabilda

What suburb are you in
I'm in Salisbury mate.
Guest dabilda

BUGGA {SMILIES_PATH}/undecided.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/undecided.gif The story of my life {SMILIES_PATH}/undecided.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/undecided.gif lolWhat is the right side of town?? I work in Royal Park.

• 9 months later...

Just wondering if there is anyone who can help me out. Was fishing last Thursday night on a southern wreck for snapper when during a battle with a red, the end guide let go. Its only a cheap 7' surecatch rod but everytime I use it, I catch snapper than when I use any other rod so I guess its my most favourite/lucky rod.CheersSteveP.S by the way, i still landed the fish ;D

Just wondering if there is anyone who can help me out. Was fishing last Thursday night on a southern wreck for snapper when during a battle with a red, the end guide let go. Its only a cheap 7' surecatch rod but everytime I use it, I catch snapper than when I use any other rod so I guess its my most favourite/lucky rod.CheersSteveP.S by the way, i still landed the fish ;D

Contact BIG LIZARD HE IS A GOOD ROD BUILDER/REPAIRER and he is down south
Guest big lizard

Thanks Addict :icon_cool:If anyone needs repairs, rebuilds or new customs done i can do it :icon_e_biggrin:If i think it's a waste of time repairing them i will let you know... Cheers Big Lizard

• 2 months later...