Snapper snatchers

Has anyone got any experience with Snapper snatchers, Flashers or whatever other names they come up with for these things. Thought I would have a go at makin my own with a little bit of a variation.Posted ImageSnapper Flasher or similar namePosted ImageSaw this siliconey type of tubing so thought I'd give it a go and see what happens.

Ok They didnt catch me a snapper this morning but they may have stopped me losing hooks. Used 1 rod with our standard twin hook rig and one with the home made snatcher/flasher. Lost the usual sinkers and also lost 1 half a twin hook rig and 1 complete rig, swapped to another snatcher and didnt lose any hooks at all after that. :ohmy: :ohmy: very unusual.More testing required ;):laugh::laugh:

Ok had small pieces of bait on them this moring but no hits what so ever. But then again no hits on a rod setup for bait only either using various baits. I think Nev and I had a snapper all you can eat buffet going :lol: Dubs are these style of rig supposed to be fished in the normal baited hook type manner or are they supposed to be jigged?I will keep trying them but as snappering off the rocks is so hit and miss it will be hard to verify if they actually work or not. Can only try I guess. And trust me if they do happen to work you guys will be the first to know :laugh:

Cheers AFF and Dubs. Yeah I figured they were supposed to flap around abit. I am using like a silicone tubing type stuff. I think its a little stiff for what I really wanted though. Thought it was a bit more flexible :unsure: I'll just keep tryin with em though and see if I can get a result ;):laugh:

I myself, do believe that these would work, but Just dont understand the need to use on of these.My thoughts are the ones with tubes is kind of immitating a small occy with tentacles, which of course we know has been done with the lucanus. So you would be somewhere between baitfishing and lure fishing if you had your snapper snatcher baited up. it would be half bait half lure.I just believe that you guys, if you are thinking that if you loose your bait you still want something that a snapper will take, would be better off having a well presented regular bait on bottom dropper of your patternoster set up, and then a Gulp 5inch or 7inch jerk on the top dropper or even run a rubber river2sea fake squid (rubber)as this would do the same job.I hope Im not way off with what you guys are trying to achieve. I guess the other thing that other snapper anglers do is just stick to the pink bead above the hook. Maybe you could find an occy looking plastic skirt that you could slide and suspend above small baits.Just thoughts guys. I am with AFF in that they of course would work better out of the boat with the movement of the waves lifting it up and down.

I myself, do believe that these would work, but Just dont understand the need to use on of these.

Because I can ;) Nah The snapper flashers for what they are seem a little pricey and I thought I would do something similar, saw the tubing and thought of the lucanus straight away. Why not try to give my self the best chance of catchin a decent red off the rocks. Both the snatchers/flashers and lucanus style systems claim to work although off the rocks as pointed out probably isnt the most efficient way to fish them but its worth a try.Hopefully I have also worked out a way to rig up a soft plastic and have it presented well enough to work effectively. Just a way for me to combine different styles of fishing with what I enjoy( Off the rocks). You may have noticed I am a little unconventional ie using an abu 6500 for my snapper soft plastic work. But why not. Its all about trying out new ideas and whatever works at the time.

Sweet VB4ME....sounds good. Cant wait to see how they go. Just wondering if the tubes may reduce your hook up rates? Definately keep me posted. And trying new things is definately what its all about. I started attracting my squid to the jetty with soft plastics then switching to jigs to get the squid when there extremely fussy and wouldnt take a normal jag first.Mix it Up I say.Well done. They do look the goods.

Just wondering if the tubes may reduce your hook up rates?

That is a bit of a concern. Maybe for the timid biters, but if they eat real squid not to mention crabs surely they shouldnt be too put off by it. Yeah those placcys work well on the squid. Vibe lures will also get em hummin too ;):)

Dunno. these are fairly bright colours and I reckon whipper snipper cord would be stiffer again. I only spent 5 bucks on this stuff and I have enough to do ????? Crap loads :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: I've got a spare lucanus skirt too but I might just keep that for the jig its designed for :)

G"day vB ,dont spose you have a "spotlight' store up in whyalla,they sell the excact tinselly stuff the ones you buy from the shop have.I have made some up and you cant tell the difference hardly,and instead of 12 bucks for 1 they cost about 12c.Excellent for salmon in the surf,half a pillie on each one to sweeten them up ,the salmon hit them same as a surf popper.Cheers B)

Also,if you want to make your own surf poppers,at the tackle shops they sell those plastic squid skirts,if you can get your hands on them try and get the silver glitter ones or blue glitter.Push a bit of cork with a hole through it into the head thread your line through,tie on a hook then pull it up tight.Work just as well and they work out about 50c each. B)

vb4me wrote:

I like ya style Cal. Might give that a go 2 ;):)

LOL VB,yeah can be a tighta#s,but done it pretty tough in the past,and have learnt to improvise,doesnt have to cost the earth to get good fishing ,make the best of what you have on offer,then anything decent is a luxury and has to earn its keep before upgrading.All the best with those snatchers mate,hope you get a nice red on the new rod as well.Cheers