whiting on poppers

hello to everyone in fishing land,has been awhile since i posted anything but i want to know if anyone had a go at using small poppers on the yellowfin whiting last summer? I decided to give it a try and was blown away by the amount of quality fish i caught using poppers in such shallow water. No one else around me was catching fish as big and consistenly as me. Naturally i kept my distance to keep them guessing what my secret method was in catching so many fish which all were returned to the water except for 3 i kept for dinner.What worries me is the people who might take advantage of this style of whiting fishing and take more than what they need with this extremely successful method of fishing for big chunky whiting.Anyone have any thoughts on this subject? cheers snake

Well I want to know what you were using lol. I agree people will take advantage of it, but I dont think many of the people on this site would be them.After watching a mates dad as a kid bring in 10cm whiting I got over ppl who over fish, or catch undersized!

hi snake , nice work m8 , just wondering if u use the poppers on a conventual paterinoster rig or flicking out like soft plastic fishing?id like to know what kind of popper too but i could be pushin my luck i know :laugh::laugh: . be good to have a few flicks while waiting 4 runs on the beaches in summer.

Skudded wrote:

Well I want to know what you were using lol. I agree people will take advantage of it, but I dont think many of the people on this site would be them.After watching a mates dad as a kid bring in 10cm whiting I got over ppl who over fish, or catch undersized!

used a 5cm strike-pro surface popper in clear plastic colour.The people who use this site are avid fisherman so dont mind sharing tips to responsible fisherman like us,its the once a year fishers like the 2 people who obviously watched me closely and returned with above lure. Once they figured out the right method to catch fish they took well over the legal bag limit and would have kept goin if i hadnt said something.Where i fish the waterway could easily be exploited by greedy fisherman! Really would like to hear from anyone who had as much success with popper fishing for whiting as i did? getting those surface hitting fish was truly awesome fun! cheers snake
chuckemback wrote:

hi snake , nice work m8 , just wondering if u use the poppers on a conventual paterinoster rig or flicking out like soft plastic fishing?

used 4lb braid tied to 8lb vanish leader with lure attached to end,same as you would rig soft plastics.The location u fish for em is the key to success,once u figure that out your gonna have a ball chasing the little buggers! I mention shallow water in my post,thats the key..cheers snake
urhookedfish wrote:

One key question though, is the popper imitating a small baitfish or a live prawn. Ive got a feeling its immitating a live fleeing prawn.... :dry: :dry: :dry: :dry: :dry: Love to confirm my suspicians.You said above that the popper is in clear plastic colour so suspect it is immitating a prawn.

definitaly a prawn,working the popper with short sharp strokes to get that bloop type sound looks more like a fleeing prawn than a fleeing baitfish.

reckon its more the sound poppers make when retrieved that gets them fighting each other to grab the lure,used plenty of shallow diving crawdaddys(look like yabbies,prawns)for bream without ever catching a whiting.Worth a go though,prawn shaped SP would be worth a try also.