Gday.It's time to re-spool the Alvey as the line has been on there for bloody ages. I'm a big fan of braid on my other reels and as such I haven't bought heavy mono for a looooong time and have no idea where to start.I'm going to need 600m between 30lb and 50lb (15 - 25kg).What are the good brands? Black Magic, Kokoda, Platypus, Maxima, Penn 10X, Tortue, Trilene?What am I going to need to spend? $30? $50?And...... what colour? Nah, just kidding, I've read the previous discussion regarding line colour and have never really been fussed by line colours anyway. Leaders... THAT is a different story.Thanks in advance for any help and assistance.Cheers. Tight monos.

hahahahaha..... truth be known, i use the cheapest stuff i can find...which at the moment is jarvis walker stuff in 25 or 30lb, reason being, its changed about every 5 or 6 weeks anyhow, and the rocks i fish tear up whatever line ive tried... the jarvis stuff stretches like hell, but its also a lot thicker than the same breaking strain as the quality stuff.ive tried the expensive stuff, and wasnt that impressed...maxima is very good line, but i cant get it locally in the lentghs i need...vb4me, is running platapus on his alvey, and thats always been a favorite of mine as well...i use an alvey 651, the deep spool, and it holds 1000mtrs of 25 pretty easily.to get that lentgh in the better quality ( and i mean that very loosly,,, ive tired lots of name brand, which is excellant, but no matter what, them rocks will tear up the best... and sometimes better is not better)it would cost me a small fortune to respool the alvey so often,MUST be said, i do a LOT of fishing... when i was on holidays in feb, i had 32 days off.... and fished them rocks 35 times.... which will punish any line regardless of quality...i prob dont look after the line as well as i maybe should,, come to think of it, i actually rinsed the alvey off after todays trip.... fish time the reel or line has seen fresh water for around a mth or 2....but ITS AN ALVEY....it dont need a rinse or a full pull down... maybe once a year IF its lucky....

As Nev mentioned I am running platypus platinum at the moment 30lb. Its abrasion resistance is excellent and price wise is very competitive. In my opinion its either the cheapest crap u can buy which may or may not break at the advertised breaking strain or spend a little more on a product that i know i can rely on.

rollcast wrote:

I use Schneider on my alvey as it is fairly cheep and VERY hard and abrasion resistive even though its a bit stiff.cheersRollcast

my 650C is currently spooled with Schneider 30lb. but i have burkley big game in 28lb to go on. got a 600 meter spool at a good price. so will be a trial...ive always ran Maxima or Schneider over the years of alvey usage. beachs and rock fishing.. but nothing as harsh as fishing Nevs rocks! thats new to me! and loving it too :D

i have run 30lb berkley trilene(big game) for 10 years.had a good run with it, use it on charter snapper bait setups to.i use the green as you can see when line is starting to off colour & need replacing or a few metres discarded.it gets a fair workout on charter.30lb should be enough for FWC.we've landed monster bronzies with 30lb...i won't say no probs but the line was never the issue :ohmy: just getting near them in the dark/wash with the gaff.cheersBigAsh

spartan wrote:

was going to say cheap as for your type of fishing used to top up my alveys 650 and 550 with 300mtr spools dump bin and kmart specials 20lb to 30lb .Also found monoflex was very good as it is made by platypus.For backing used 50lb from my penn s cheers

ive tried monoflex... thats not too bad IMHO....

ive got berkley ( big game ) on my abu7000, excellant in the boat, and ive also used schieder on the alvey. the snyder used to to different, i think so anyway...used to like that stuff, but the last lot i tried, didnt last very long at all.. i made a post up about it somewhere a while back...the berkley, i tried on the rocks, in 30lb... no good for them rocks is my result. as del said, these are not your regular rocks, sharp, craggley, and many a fish have been lost to them......brand new line, some of it quite expensive, just cant handle these rocks.... just falls apart...vb4me's line is holding up well, and i might even lash out and buy some of that...

Nev, on low tide me and Jimmy Dived out there.. saw the lay of the bottom.. swam as far out as Softy was casting. as i gave his line a few generous tweaks.. hahahhahah the rocks go out a fair bit then Plataea into some serious drop offs and ledges. but the bottom does smooth out. its the first 30meteres or so from low tide mark that is nasty.. at about 100 meters off shore.. ( and i wasnt game to go any further) its pretty much a solid ROCK bottom with weed.. and DEEP.was certainly an experience to dive that area...

Del wrote:

so at high tide.. we are basically frked ;) its nasty! as u know.. we pick rigs up from around our feet at low tide..

you and jimmy , are braver men than me... NO WAY KNOWN would i go for a swim out there.... \we have been over it in the boat, and there is some pretty neat ground out there for sure...at one time amny years ago, there was a few car bodies out there as well, but they would be long gone by now im thinking....low is best ive found, you dont lose anywhere near as much gear, but ive also caught them on high tides...where as you said, we are lucky to cast where we are normally standing.

i got put onto another spot the other day... ive fished it before, but only in summer.... i got told it may be worth a try in winter as it used to produce pretty well.apprently, 20mtrs out, it drops down to 60 ft or water....so it may be worth a try just to see if anything is hanging in that hole

rocknev wrote:

Del wrote:

so at high tide.. we are basically frked ;) its nasty! as u know.. we pick rigs up from around our feet at low tide..

you and jimmy , are braver men than me... NO WAY KNOWN would i go for a swim out there.... \we have been over it in the boat, and there is some pretty neat ground out there for sure...at one time amny years ago, there was a few car bodies out there as well, but they would be long gone by now im thinking....low is best ive found, you dont lose anywhere near as much gear, but ive also caught them on high tides...where as you said, we are lucky to cast where we are normally standing.
why do you think i took Jimmy with me... ;) i dont have to out swim a shark.. just a jimmy!!!
Del wrote:

rocknev wrote:

Del wrote:

why do you think i took Jimmy with me... ;) i dont have to out swim a shark.. just a jimmy!!!
:laugh::laugh::laugh: yeah but jimmy aint got a lot of meat on him....
Jimmy wrote:

Thats why i stayed a good 10m's closer to the shore haha. I should get better flippers as those ones sucked hard :( and contacts so i can see the bottom would help

its always the one you dont see that gets ya.... in your case jimmy, you wouldnt have seen anything :)