Seems there's quite a few here who target KG Whiting, so I'd like to discuss targetting this species.For donkey's years now, I've been using little red beads just above my hooks, or purchasing the pre-tied hooks with the red beads on the trace line.It was explained to me many years ago that these red beads act as an added attractant, and I've been using them ever since.In fact, I've been doing it for so long, I couldn't even tell ya if it DOES actually increase ya catch rate, but being a creature of habit, I still persist with it.Oddly enough a friend of mine from Victoria has been using green beads as a tip passed to him by his father many many years ago.We were out fishing together and discussing this difference. We were both catching fish together, and pretty much matching each other one to one!Now I dunno what that really proves! Does it mean red beads and green beads attract KG's equally? Does it mean using beads will increase ya catch rate? Does it mean we're both idiots for believing pretty beads are gonna help us catch fish? I really dont know if it's a tip or not, but it's something I use and believe in! Just something I wanted to share, and also ask you! Do YOU believe these beads help? Have ya ever tried a comparison using them and not using them? Are ya willing to try it if ya dont normally use them? Do you normally use them?Oh, and a tip which does work? Always put the black part of the cockle near the point/barb of ya hook, coz they tend to suck that part down first!

Good topic Ranger.I also add those little red beeds to my hooks. I also have been doing it for years. Whether it actually helps or not, I dunno, but a few weeks I was out fishin with the YoBBeTTe, and the fish were biting well. Anyway, I had just made up a heap of fresh rigs (I keep them in those glad sandwhich bag things) to save time on a quick changeover. I happened to have run out of beads when I made the last few, and my rig didnt have them, but hers did. It seems to have made no difference at all. Having said that, the fish were hungy and we bagged out very quickly. I would be interested to see the difference on a quiet day.Ill tell ya what. Lets go out together. I will use them, and you try without. LOL {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif

Guest dabilda

I use about 1" of red insulation off electrical wire. Pull the wire out, slide it up the trace, tie the hook on and slide it over the knot and push the eye of the hook into it to hold it in place.A mate and I experimented years ago with this, beads and nothing........... catch rates were always basically the same over about a dozen trips, so at the end of the day we decided it really had no great affect. I still use the insulation now when I pre tie rigs or in the boat if I have everything at hand. To rig up when out though, if I haven't got pre cut insulation I don't bother. Still catch fish.There might be days when it does make a difference but I've seen nothing concrete to suggest it does. Also had fishless days with and without. Baiting a cockle is very true, they do go for the black part first. Hook a few times through the white meat then into the black leaving the point protruding to the barb. Doing this will increase hookups.Great topic Ranger. Exactly the thing a fishing site should be about.

I dont know if it helps catching fish, but I use the red beads to help sight my hook quickly. As for the colour bead used to attract fish anything under about 10m is green or blue in colour. As light travels deeper into the water the colours that make up white light are absorbed, starting with Red then Orange, Yellow Etc. So as for the colour I dont think it matters. It does help you sight your hook though and it doesn't scare the fish, so I'll keep using them. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifCheersPaul

Don't use em myself but i.m a big fan of just twitching the rod to impart some small movement on the bait....this does definately work,think of how many times you get a bite just as you put the rod down, the movement of the boat does the same thing. cheers brenton

targetting I really dont know if it's a tip or not, but it's something I use and believe in! Just something I wanted to share, and also ask you! Do YOU believe these beads help? Have ya ever tried a comparison using them and not using them? Are ya willing to try it if ya dont normally use them? Do you normally use them?

Hey Ranger,Women use em to catch fellas {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

Don't use em myself but i.m a big fan of just twitching the rod to impart some small movement on the bait....this does definately work,think of how many times you get a bite just as you put the rod down, the movement of the boat does the same thing. cheers brenton

Absolutely Brenton. There is no question that a bit of movement gets their attention. If its quiet, dragging your sinker across the bottom in small amounts helps too.

Thanks for the input guys! Seems many of you are much like myself! Ya don't know/aren't sure if it helps, but use them anyway! And hey, what's wrong wiv havin a few pretty beads floatin around in the tacklebox? If it's a quiet day I can use em to plait my hair or pimp my ride! {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif

As for the colour bead used to attract fish anything under about 10m is green or blue in colour. As light travels deeper into the water the colours that make up white light are absorbed, starting with Red then Orange, Yellow Etc. So as for the colour I dont think it matters.

Good advice BB! Most of my Whiting fishing IS done in fairly shallow water (12-65') around the metro area. I'm aware of the colours in the spectrum fading as water depth increases, but I'm actually still debating how "fish" perceive colour/contrast. ie: do they actually see colours as we do, or does the make-up of a fishes eye only give them a perspective of contrast? It's a subject I'd like to learn a whole lot more about. I think I need to question a Veterinary Opthalmologist on that one though, do we have one of those as a member here?

Women use em to catch fellas

Then why is it, WE have to use such expensive shiny baubles to catch women? Apparently mine now wants an "ETERNITY" ring! I know it SEEMS like it's been an eternity, but why does she have to make me PAY for an eternity! {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gif

my most sucessfull rig is a running sinker rig with the sinker between two hooks,

MF I believe you're an avid Whiting fisherman, and I can understand the success of your running rig! It keeps both hooks down near the bottom in the Whiting feeding zone! I was watching a huge thread elsewhere (interstate) in regards to Whiting rigs, where it was shown that either paternosters or running rigs were the favoured methods by fishermen there, but this is the first time I've heard anyone mention putting the sinker between the two hooks on their running rig. I take it you also use a fairly short trace? Myself I still use the standard 2 hook paternoster.

i.m a big fan of just twitching the rod to impart some small movement on the bait

And that's why we need the "Soft Plastic Cockle!" The new Squidgy 35mm Twitchin Molusc! {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gifI know this post was only about beads and attractants, but don't be afraid to drag it off topic a bit if ya wanna discuss other things like trace length, line class, hook pattern, burleying methods, prefered baits, rods, reels, or whatever! If it's about Whiting, I'm interested to hear ya tips and techniques, even ya failures! Good comments guys, thanks!

Pretty sure my 2c worth in your topic won't be welcomed Ranger, but was gonna add it anyway.................feel free to ignore it.............. {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif.............just adding to the discussion.

Exactly the sorta comments which everyone has been trying to avoid! Good effort! {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gifIf you wanna actually join a topic on Whiting all input is welcome!If you just wanna be Mr Sooky-lala and continue with this ridiculous bullsh*t and smart *rsed comments, I've recently started a topic for "whinging" in the off topic forum. Maybe you'd be happier having ya sook there while we discuss fishing.Guess I'll remember to look forward to more of ya stupid games in any future topics I start!

i thought the colour red dissapeared when it was deep in the water. thats the rumor i've been told. can anyone help me on this one? {SMILIES_PATH}/embarrassed.gif

That's correct Shane! The deeper you go, the more colours drop out of the spectrum. Red is actually the first colour to go at around 10m (30 feet)!It doesn't disappear though, instead it just appears grey/black!

Sunlight (specifically the light waves that make up sunlight) doesn?t penetrate water very well. Light is refracted, reflected and absorbed. This means that a large percentage of the light waves reflect of the sea surface, back into the sky. The percentage of light that does make it into the water is refracted (bent), which disperses the light over a large area. And finally, the light is absorbed by particles in the water and plants and animals. Short wavelength light waves like red doesn?t travel more than 10 m into the water column. Longer wavelengths such as blues and greens travel much deeper into the water.Fig. 3. The different colours of the rainbow penetrate the water column to different depths. Red only travels about 10 m whereas Blues and greens penetrate to two hundred metres.The loss of colour as depth increases can be seen in figure 4. The image on the left was taken in 5 m of water. You can see that red and yellow coloursare still quite strong ? very little loss has occurred. However, the image on the right shows a rocky reef in 12 m of water. At this depth reds, oranges and yellows are removed or reduced. This leaves blue and green light waves to travel through the deeper water, hence the blue-green tinge to the water, rocks and plants.Fig. 4. Different light waves penetrate to different depths. In shallow water all colours are present (left) whereas deeper waters are illuminated by blues and greens (right).Marine animals use this loss of short wavelength light to their advantage. Many deep-water fish and crabs have red and orange skin. Because red and orange light doesn?t penetrate into deep water, these red fish look a dull grey, blending into their dark surrounds. This allows the animals to be invisible to predators and prey.Fig. 5. Many deep-water marine animals are brightly coloured. This is a form of camouflage in a place where red and orange light waves can?t reach. The three fish and giant crab abovelive between 60 m ? 1000 m water depth. Some animals in shallower waters are also brightly coloured. The lobster, anemone and starfish above can be found in 10 m water depth.

http://www.seahorseworld.com.au/pdf/Tam ... itants.pdf

heres that scetch of the rig i use i once was creamed by an old local pro watching him pull more fish than i could using a differnt rig so live n learn seeing is believing {SMILIES_PATH}/smiley.gif

Good tip Mick! Even though I'm a creature of habit who's been using a paternoster for years, I might actually give that one a go if ever I can drag myself away from chasin Bream in the estuary!

i thought the colour red dissapeared when it was deep in the water. thats the rumor i've been told. can anyone help me on this one? {SMILIES_PATH}/embarrassed.gif

Got a couple of photos that may help ya out with it. Both are taken under Edithburgh Jetty in the same depth around 10m. The first was taken during the day using only natural light (No Flash) of a red mullet. size=519http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/wXigROJC__Picture_040a.JPG[/img]