Bull bar rod wrack

Can any members tell me where is the cheapest place to buy a bull bar fishing rod wrack,I've got one on my 4wd but want to put another one on my triton.Can't remember where i brought my last one.If any body can help me that would be great.Thanks guys,tight lines Marc.Like this one. Posted Image

images-20100707.jpg

Weedie wrote:

Can any members tell me where is the cheapest place to buy a bull bar fishing rod wrack,I've got one on my 4wd but want to put another one on my triton.Can't remember where i brought my last one.If any body can help me that would be great.Thanks guys,tight lines Marc.Like this one. Posted Image

seen a few today at bcf for around 50 bucks....
yorke_angler wrote:

so they arent illegal then?? I was told they were, seems to me its bit of a grey area.. :dry:

i got stopped at a random testing station not long ago, and the cop tols me they are illegal...even though he had them on his 4wd...i cant find ANY knowledge on the subject on the road and traffic website pertaining to them.the cop told me, they are worried about a puncture wound with them...like a bull bar on a 4wd isnt going to damage a pedestrian anyway.another cop mate i know in canberra has seen pics of mine, and said they are prefered to have the leading sharp edge, behind the bar of the bullbar...as viewed from side on.and that hos the local cop looked at mine.he suggested to take them off, or cut them back behind the edge.seems every4wd ive seen in town has them fitted, and you dont actually see many rods being carried in them.mine is used often.if i were to take it off each time, i would be forever putting the bloody thing back on.im taking the chance.... ive been told its a 100 fine, but again, cant find anything relating to it on the department of transport website.... its either take the chance, or not bother about themthe shops get away with selling them, as stating they are for off road use only it seems.

I too was once told they are illegal, because if you run over a pedestrian with your 4WD, the rod rack is liable to injure them. :blink: Luckily I don't have a rod rack on my 4WD, so any pedestrians I run over should be just fine and dandy! :S I don't really know about the real legalities of it apart from heresay, but what I do know is that they are readily available, they are very popular, and they come in very handy for holding rods on the beach! With the relatively low price of new units, I wouldn't even bother hunting for secondhand ones.Safety first I say!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Went for a drive Friday morning to Salisbury Tackleworld to get me one of thoes rod wracks with the protective black caps on top.When i brought it it was red and the misses wasn't too keen on putting a red one on the 4wd,So i ended up spray painting it black.Looks okay,Just hope the paint doesn't come off too easy.Good blokes at Tackleworld ended up scoring a couple of stickers for the 4wd too.Defently be going there again for my fishing gear :) .Marc.

ANDREW - RODI wrote:

how do you tie the rods down? on the tip end and the butt end? pics would be good as i have never used them before

you dont... the rod slides in, and the reel seat goes into the groove....pretty safe... and ive travelled with mine on dirt roads, highway speeds, sand and mud...they just sit there.since ive been taking the alvey off, and using a small bracket i made up, i put some duct tape around the top, but there isnt really a need for it... the rod stays put in the slot.this stops the reel from getting dusty, and anything which may vibrate loose and being lost.the reels are safely inside with me.instead of making something like this up, cut the foot of an old un-used reel.... will do the same job.these are the first ones i made, bit too thin,making it very hard to weld without melting it.... so i knocked some thicker up out of stainelss steel plate.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

on my truck, i only have a nudge bar.... so to fit the rod racks, i made up another tube...2 x exhaust bends were tig welded together, couple of nuts welded to some round plates, then the plates were welded into the ends of the pipes. drill through the nedge bar, and bolted the new pipe up, then attached the rod racks to that.if anyone else has a nudge bar, this should work for them as well...just make sure you have clearance to open the bonnet.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imagehttp://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i7/nifty_2006/rodracks005-1.jpg

Skudded wrote:

Regarding the legalities of rod holders. So long as they are not sticking out infront of the bullbar they are legal. If they can be considered the first point of contact for any accidents they are illegal.

thats what my copper mate in canberra told me... where yu find the info on that locally? i might just get away with it, if i trim mine back a bit.

My mate has been told off before for having rods in the holder as they stick out further than the bullbar. As far as i know you are only allowed to have them in the holders on the beach (unless for some reason they don't stick out over the bullbar).The holder itself can't protrude beyond the bullbar legally but its depends on the cop as to whether they want to pick you up for it or not, some don't bother with it. But as far as i know you can't put rods in the holder as they hang out beyond the bullbar.But.... what i have always wondered is tradies always have pipes and stuff hanging beyond the length of their car and they just have to put a flag on it. Could you do that with a rod holder? I doubt it but could be cool

Things on top of the roof are not considered dangerous during an accident as they will not be the first point of impact, this is on vans and 4wd's only, sedans and stationwagons that the pipes are at head height they two are not allowed to extend past the front or rear of the car.