Baitrunner "D" series thoughts?

I've never owned a baitrunner wanted to get peoples thoughts on them....Thinking the new 8000D would be a good investment as a snapper, mulloway, even small tuna, kingfish reel. Matching it with a wilson live fibre or silstar blue crystal tip 10kg rod - decent combo for around 350. Fill with 20lb braidWhat are peoples experiences with baitrunners? Like or dislike?The 8000 size in the "D" series is supposed to be roughly same size as old 4500 I believe... but D series is an "upgrade" apparently. I know the B series was tough as nuts!

Bairunners are nice and as tuff as guts, but so are the Saltiga's. The Saltiga's are in a different league though and you just get the feeling that the Saltiga is made with way better engineering as it feels tighter and more robust! :cheer: :cheer: For fish like Tuna, the 4500Z I feel would be way better suited. :)Saw an awesome story on how Live fibres are made and it showed the Killwell blanks that are used and how they are made by hand here in Australia. Im very impressed with the wilson Live fibres and would love to add one to my collection at some stage. Although watching one in action on Hook Line and sinker, I was a bit worried about the working curve one of the hosts rods as he was hooked up to a big fish. The curve was rather odd in places. :dry:

I've got 2 shimano baitrunner D s in the 4000 size and they are great. The D series is a bit lighter than the old B series. I am very happy with mine and they do the job. They are only slightly heavier than the equivalent size shimano reel. The saltigas are 3 to 4 times the price and are much better reels.Depends if you need the baitrunner feature and want to spend the cash for a saltiga.

Kelvin wrote:

I've got 2 shimano baitrunner D s in the 4000 size and they are great. The D series is a bit lighter than the old B series. I am very happy with mine and they do the job. They are only slightly heavier than the equivalent size shimano reel. The saltigas are 3 to 4 times the price and are much better reels.Depends if you need the baitrunner feature and want to spend the cash for a saltiga.

Kelvin is spot on.Do you like to freespool much FL?

Saw the 12000D on Ifish today and definiteley an awesome looking piece of fishing gear :ohmy: Personally I feel they may be a bit over the top for most of our run-of-the mill species here in SA, unless you're targetting some large Bronze whalers etc FushLups wrote:

Free spool or free ball? hahahhahaaaaaI have NEVER free spooled

How about the other :huh::P
FushLups wrote:

Alternatively thinking a saltiga 3500 game or saltiga Z4500... to match a hiramasa 63S.....

Cant really compare the 2 together 1 is much better than the other and a fair few more clams too.The new shimano D series are nice very tough reels more crisp than than old series and few more kgs of drag to.The saltiga are second to none in my opinion, the 4500z being a lil better having a sealed body plus having a few extra kgs of drag and double the line capacity, but like I said your looking at a fw more clams compared to the shimano baitrunner.The hiramasa's are sick rods love em but again not cheap that rod will cost you more than the shimano reel.Just a few things to think about, good luck with your choiceDubs

Hey FL, although I have recommended the 4500z, from a balance perspective, the 3500Game may be a better option, but when it comes to having a reel that can stop anything, its probably better to have the 4500Z which is just ever so slightly to big for the rod.I dont think the size of the 4500Z on the rod will bother you much. My 4000 Hyper fits the Hirimassa perfectly.

Meh bit the bullet and got the Z4500 as an all round reel for mullies, snapper, tuna, kingfish, sharksNot sure whether to wait and see what the new saltiga rods are like or settle on the hiramasa 63S which apparently suits the z4500 perfectly.....My birthday is coming at just the right time. Hey gimme some grace, I'm turning 30....*nervous

FushLups wrote:

Meh bit the bullet and got the Z4500 as an all round reel for mullies, snapper, tuna, kingfish, sharksNot sure whether to wait and see what the new saltiga rods are like or settle on the hiramasa 63S which apparently suits the z4500 perfectly.....My birthday is coming at just the right time. Hey gimme some grace, I'm turning 30....*nervous

Sounds great FL B) , all the best with it ;):)
FushLups wrote:

Well done mate, youll love it.What sort of price did you have to pay for it?I havent priced one up for well over a year or so?

Baitrunners are truly a great reel.If I was a charter boat operator, this would be my first choice of reel as you can put them through hell from a lack of washdown perspective and they will last for donkeys years.A truley guttsy reel and well worth owning. I had one of the old 3500 Baitrunners and it served me well for many years.Great value for money.

In case anyone is interested. The D series have a few upgrades - including a propulsion spool which helps with the use of braid, inparticular in the reduction of wind knots and castability.- Improved handle, much more comfortable to use.- Improved bail roller system. There were lots of problems with the earlier 'B' series and the bail roller pin that supports the roller corroding and snapping off. Ive had to do lots of repairs to this model with this problem. They now solved it with the latest production of the 'B' models.- Baitrunner system now engages by pulling the lever backwards. Saves accidentally knocking it forward and into freespool when fighting a fish.- Much improved drag system by the way of using dartanium drag washers. regardsMr Balls