Alvey Reels

I love me Alveys-i mentioned them in the what reel u got section ages ago. I have all from the 3 1/2" sidey to my big 650C5 Star Drag Smooth Clutch Reel. Ive been fishing with them for over 40 years and still use my original that Dad gave me. I swear by them for my bream fishing and going for the bigger types-snapper, mullys from the beach and rocks and when fishing the mighty murray

did get bored of the one 2 one ratio but they are great reels its like anything u progress to other gear eg. when i started sharking years ago i had 650a1 knuckle buster and then 651c5 star drag caught heaps of stuff on them then progressed to overheads and large surf egg beaters(spinners)4 surf fishing. I have still got 650 c5 rosewood, 651e5 , and 550c5 and even thought about dusting of the 550 for a fish cheers

as for me, alvey all the way....im fishing rocks, and ive seen a brand new name brand spinner explode after just 2 casts....wont find me using anything but an alvey for the bigger fish from the rocks...if i want to catch tommies or whiting, etc etc, i will use the spinners...and hell yeah im biassed...had my alveys for 25 yrs, and will still be going in another 25 yrs.fancy taking one of the supposed name brands onto a beach, and shock horror dropping it...pffffffft.... if i drop the alvey in the sand, i will rinse it off in the salt water and carry on fishing... try that with a supposed name brand bling bling reel and see how much it works after a days fishing without a full tear down and clean...each to there own, but im sticking to what i say is the best for what i do...ALVEY, 651DEEP SPOOL, HOLDING 1000MTRS OF 25LB LINE.

A bit off topic but.....rocknev did u ever have that casting comp with scaleytom?:laugh: :laugh: i like the loud ratchet sound of em 4 sure ....spartan next trip bring one along m8!

we did actually...and we called it a draw..... same rods, same reels, and pretty much the same distance,which was a loonnnnng way out... still havnt forgotten about the other challendge either with the alvey v's the kayak.... and was talking about it just this week actually....it will be an early morning challendge, down the beach, nice calm day, and im spotting him 50mtrs, then kicking that alvey into gear, and come to papa mr kayak man...lolalso another challendge on the cars with the same bloke, who is ultra fit.... i may have bit off more than i can chew with this one though...hes cycles around 300kms a week, and i said i could stop him in his tracks with the alvey and snyderglas.....not so sure on that one...unless i load him up with drag and slow him down first.loldont think i will be able to yank the bike out from underneath him, but i reckon i will bring him in on the kayak using that alvey...
a draw aye in the casting department :lol: ...consitant good casters ! :laugh: what material is the drag made of in ur alvey rocknev?if its anything like ht100s for penns ' date='u will slay the bike rider!![/quote'] the drag on my alvey, is a simple rubber and stainless washer set up,using some of each to slow or lock up the spool from turning, operated by my fingertips using a star drag below the handle, wind it in, and it compresses the rubbers which puts load on the spool . .. i tried a lever drag alvey, but found it a bit more work to do quickly...with the star, i can adjust it up or down with the slightest pressure of my fingers....one thing with the alveys is, they will wake you from the deadest of sleeps...and funnily enough, ive not heard two that sound the same...which is a good thing, if i fish with my brothers or mates, i can tell the sound of mine just by the growl its emits.huge rush, to be sitting there, and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH off goes that alvey, goosebumps....

ChuckenBack. yeah mate. my surf sessions are alvey based! tho recently ive hit the surf in ultra light gear... 8' rods with 10lb line.. and landing 12+lb salmon in the surf.. but id have chosen an anvley with 20+ line if i had it beside me... hahahhahaa