Has fishing gone mad

first step.. work out what is exported to other countries. and cut that from the pro licenses quota. as obvisouly we are not catching what australia needs there for we are taking more than required. if we are all for preserveing fish stock for australians then set a maximum exported quota. this country is renowned for raping itself to supply the rest of the world. AT OUR EXPENSE!

I will probably cop some flack for this, but I think that's healthy anyway, so no offense will be taken by me :)I will be the first to support reductions in commercial snapper fishing here. As it should help both the market price for the pro's and the Snapper stocks.BUT, as recreational anglers, we should be responsible and take only what we need, or is reasonable. To a lot of people, a BAG limit is like a challenge, and I reckon they take the BAG because of some kind of trophy element. For example, 2 90cm Snapper is a bloody lot of fish! Also it doesn't taste awesome compared to the ruggers anyway. If you don't get them regularly then fair enough, but to be taking a boat limit everytime you get on them is just greedy IMO. Same as the other species like KGs and Yellowfin. 5 or six of these fish is a nice family feed. In my ideal world, the commercial fishos would be looked after as far as reasonable regulations that preserve market returns for them and protects our resources. And catch and release should be more widely promoted with advice from fisheries about how best to ensure survival for released captures.I know when the summer run of Bream are in in our spot, some guys are out there catching a feed of them. Seeing 10 Bream over 28cm sitting in a bucket makes me pretty sad. And really, a 15 or 20 year old bream that's been living in the Port isn't going to be good for you anyway... Summer run or not!Just my opinion and I feel strongly enough to post it. For me and my family, a couple of big Snapper and half a dozen or so ruggers is plenty feed for the whole of summer. Chuck in a dozen kgs and dozen yellowfin with some blue crabs, and that is more than enough for us to have great feeds of fish all year round really and the freezer is full anyway. And this is nowhere near taking our bag limits. Release all you can and take only what you will actually eat.Cheers and tight lines

im thinking about going out to ardrossan tomorrow. just dont know if its worth the drive with what the pros have been up to.i agree with jack but i can eat 5 yellowfin by myself in 1 sitting i love them same as squid.., but as far as snapper go ide be happy to catch something decent so i cant see me raping them anytime soon lol but even if i caught a heap ide only keep a couple and let the rest go

so how would the lisence be applied would you have to be honest and say im heading out to target snapper today,and if you return empty handed get ya money back.or would the everyday angler who just happens to snag a snapper on his whiting rod be charged for bringing one back to the ramp...if this was to happen surely you would just head out on charters to ensure your money was well spent

I will probably cop some flack for this' date=' but I think that's healthy anyway, so no offense will be taken by me :)I will be the first to support reductions in commercial snapper fishing here. As it should help both the market price for the pro's and the Snapper stocks.BUT, as recreational anglers, we should be responsible and take only what we need, or is reasonable. To a lot of people, a BAG limit is like a challenge, and I reckon they take the BAG because of some kind of trophy element. For example, 2 90cm Snapper is a bloody lot of fish! Also it doesn't taste awesome compared to the ruggers anyway. If you don't get them regularly then fair enough, but to be taking a boat limit everytime you get on them is just greedy IMO. Same as the other species like KGs and Yellowfin. 5 or six of these fish is a nice family feed. In my ideal world, the commercial fishos would be looked after as far as reasonable regulations that preserve market returns for them and protects our resources. And catch and release should be more widely promoted with advice from fisheries about how best to ensure survival for released captures.I know when the summer run of Bream are in in our spot, some guys are out there catching a feed of them. Seeing 10 Bream over 28cm sitting in a bucket makes me pretty sad. And really, a 15 or 20 year old bream that's been living in the Port isn't going to be good for you anyway... Summer run or not!Just my opinion and I feel strongly enough to post it. For me and my family, a couple of big Snapper and half a dozen or so ruggers is plenty feed for the whole of summer. Chuck in a dozen kgs and dozen yellowfin with some blue crabs, and that is more than enough for us to have great feeds of fish all year round really and the freezer is full anyway. And this is nowhere near taking our bag limits. Release all you can and take only what you will actually eat.Cheers and tight lines[/quote']Good post Jack, and good onya for puting it out there. Agree with you on most points.I'm going to give another example though...I don't get out that often in the boat so when I do get into them I usually keep what I can legally...KGW (havn't bagged out in years), the odd snapper, heaps of blueys and garfish and what ever squid I can get here and there. Sadly I probably get more salmon in the fridge than anything!In winter me and the family don't eat heaps of fish. Lots of fish currys' ( normally hte older gar fillets and of course plenty of salmon ) In summer, we a lot of fish... sometime 4-5 times a week when you take into consideration crabs and squid.Basically.. what I'm saying is for me to go out once a month and get half a dozen KGW, 20 odd crabs, a dozen squid and 50+ garfish... doens't go real far sometimes !If.... if I could get out a couple of times a week, I would be right with you only taking a few YFW for a meal and a couple of crabs etc... you see where I'm going. I know where exactly where you're going with the trophy bag and deep dwn it is.... it's that satisfaction... blah balah blah... anyway, the bloke you see with the bag full might of been out of the water for 3 months and getting his legal quota may just keep him going for the next 3 months...As I said.. just another spin on it...Personally love to be able to get out fora feed when I wanted !