a word of warning!!!

hi guys i was out in the boat on sun morning fished about 30k out and the swell picked up so decided to try a spot about 10k from the stkilda ramp,after fishing for about 2 hours we seen a boats signal a flare there was probably 20 boats all within 1 kilometer of eachother!!! it probably took us a min or so to notice and started talking about it and made up our minds in a flash to head over,when we got to the boat the guy said he has lost all his electrics and asked to use our radio which was no probs we let the coast guard know and they said they would be on the way.... so we waited the whole time with the bloke which was no problem at all we would help any1 and expect the same.what im trying to say is from what we seen not 1 person even looked like moving to go and have a look at this person in distress i know one or 2 of u reading this was probably out that way and seen it pls in futre people show a little bit more care for others and think twice if thwe shoe was on the other foot!!! if sum1 is in trouble just go that little bit out of your way to make sure people are safe on the water later guys :)

Well done, b_b_bUnfortunately, it seems to be a bit like when a car alarm goes off in a shopping centre car park. People will give it a cursory glance... and then keep walking. Or maybe someone's getting the living tripe kicked out of them in full public view, and yet bystanders go by pretending nothing is happening.Welcome to the 21st century - where people don't wish to get involved, for one reason or another.Cheersarcherfish :(

This is just my personal experiences iam stating here,Ive been a fishing boat and Ski boat owner for 10 years now, and ive gotta say IMO fisherman are the least likely ones to render assistance,We broke down in the coorong one day, and it took atleast 5 boats to pass us before anyone even stopped, even though they passed withing metres of us,Whereas as if we are in the ski boat you can gaurantee youll have someone pull up within minutes, first sign of any trouble and you have people jumping in boats from the bank to come and check on you,fisherman always bag skiers, but i beleive some people could learn from how us skiers look out for each others whenever we are on the waters....

Carps & Ranger its not just good human nature of even your duty, its actaully LAW. TrpleB, I'd have done the same thing. Have helped many in my time & been helped as well on the odd occasion. Besides being the law it leaves me with a good feeling knowing that I've helped someone out & maybe built abit of good karma if misfortune were to ever hit me again.

Was heading out to the Norma one arvo when i spotted a smallish cuddy cab with the cowel off his motor so adjusted coarse to give aid when i had noticed another vessel closer than me doing the same thing as he was much closer i thought they would be okay so procceded on my way.Got to the Norma only fished it for an hour or so as it was quite crowded then headed back,Thought i might go the way i came just to make sure the guy that was in trouble was not still there,then found he was gone so i then went through the harbour and noticed he had been towed to the ramp,so it was all good so what i am saying is that if a boat was in need i would always assist as i have helped others before.I would be very greatful to anyone if i was in that position.:cheer: P.S. I would not feel right if i ignored any vessel in distress!

Yeah it's pretty common that some people are selfish, i have been caught out and no 1 wanted to help either i had to ring a mate to come save us luckily it stayed calm if it blew up we would of been in deep trouble in a 4.5m boat 16km's out...But in saying that people sometimes know that their boat has a problem but still persist to hit the water and travel out then cant get back, but you'd still help them no matter what.... Well done for being thoughtful.. Imagine if it got that rough and something did happen and there were kids involved as well, it's a no brainer really.. You'd do what any normal person would...

too right its law and yet soo many people just keep steamin along straight past i myself have towed the odd boat back too sullies here an there and everytime i have the person recieving the tow has been more then grateful and has usually topped my tank back up with their own fuel too let me get back out and enjoy the day, i found myself in a spot of bother 1 day with my pregnant wife and bor inlaw onboard when we underestimated the conditions and used just that little bit more fuel on the way back then there wasin the tank mind you we did make too aprrox a couple of hundred mtrs just outside sullies harbour and yet still the same story im not sure how many boats just cruised past like we were paddling with oars for fun until i decided too rip my shirt off an wave like a mad man at the next closest fella who mind you wasnt even heading in was just crusiing past and yet he went out of his way too tow me in with all smiles .my point is you can be even as little as 200 mtres from safe water and some people just couldnt care less if you make that last bit or not.but yes put the shoe on the other foot and watch them jump and down if you just steam on by,not that i ever would.

same as the roads... sad situation... when i bought my 4wd, i had a puncture, half way to pt augusta, and i had lent my trolley jack to my brother, who lent it to his lad, and when i got it back, it was broken, of course, i didnt KNOW it was broken, until i needed it...now sitting on the side of the road, with my 77 yr old mum, sitting on the chair of the walking frame she uses, in 35 degree heat, with a broken jack isnt fun... and out of the 40 odd cars, not one even slowed down let alone looked like stopping...i managed to jurt rig a temp fix on the jack, and just got enough hight to get the wheel changed...

same as the roads... sad situation... when i bought my 4wd' date=' i had a puncture, half way to pt augusta, and i had lent my trolley jack to my brother, who lent it to his lad, and when i got it back, it was broken, of course, i didnt KNOW it was broken, until i needed it...now sitting on the side of the road, with my 77 yr old mum, sitting on the chair of the walking frame she uses, in 35 degree heat, with a broken jack isnt fun... and out of the 40 odd cars, not one even slowed down let alone looked like stopping...i managed to jurt rig a temp fix on the jack, and just got enough hight to get the wheel changed...[/quote']:ohmy: If it is any consulation to you rocknev i would have stopped for you mate.:)

have found the same problem out from st kilda maybe not quite as bad a situation but foound a boat high and dry on the section bank at low tide (his first time in the area) and could see he was struggling to get the boat back in the water as we came in noticed about 5 or more boats just continue on by so we stopped and asked if he was ok he mentioned he tried to stop some ppl for a hand none stopped so eventually helped dragged the boat back to the water so he could return back to ramp the guy was so thankful and offered us money wich we refused as if i was in that same prediciment would hope someone would do the same. as they say what goes around comes around please people put yourself in there shoes if you need help how would you fell if others just went on by!!

Could also go the other way, we were heading back to Torrens Island when we saw two guys (old ethnic) in a 15' wooden boat with a 20hp motor near the black pole. They were waving their arms around, so we went over there.Guys said that they broken down and wanted a tow to north haven.It was morning, water was glass and we were in a hurry to get back so we offered to call the coast guard/police to give them a tow back.Oh no they just wanted a tow. Got the phone out and one of them said that they had a phone and insisted on a tow, sounded suss, situation was safe so we bid them farewell.One of the pricks started to abuse us as we left. Got 100 metres away and they started their motor and took off. Tight asshats only wanted a tow to save petrol.

same as the roads... sad situation... when i bought my 4wd' date=' i had a puncture' date=' half way to pt augusta, and i had lent my trolley jack to my brother, who lent it to his lad, and when i got it back, it was broken, of course, i didnt KNOW it was broken, until i needed it...now sitting on the side of the road, with my 77 yr old mum, sitting on the chair of the walking frame she uses, in 35 degree heat, with a broken jack isnt fun... and out of the 40 odd cars, not one even slowed down let alone looked like stopping...i managed to jurt rig a temp fix on the jack, and just got enough hight to get the wheel changed...[/quote'']:ohmy: If it is any consulation to you rocknev i would have stopped for you mate.:)
thanks mate....

Driving to Silverton one day and I can across of guys/girls on harleys by the side of the road.One of the guys had a flat battery.They said I was the only one to stop in 2 hours that they were thereGave them a jumper start. Met them at the west darling pub in broken hill that afternoon, and they bought us beers for the afternoon as thanks.

my storeys a little diff i came in to st kilda one arvo very low tide and sat for about 5 mins watching a fella trying to retrieve a 20ft boat with a hilux 2wd ute tray top and to make matters worse as we all know at low tide to get a boat on to ya trailer ya need to drop of the ramps edge..needless to say he was going no where in a hurry..i offered to unhook my boat trailer hook his on pull him out then retrieve my boat witch he very gratefully excepted,once both our boats where out the bloke insisted i follow him to the stkilda tavern so he could buy us a beer,witch i gratefully excepted and when i left he also handed me a piece of paper with two gps marks on it... i love karma when its good :cheer:

GOOD TOPIC and good on you for being part of the small society of decent ppli used to live in ardrossan and was part of the ardrossan sea searchers, In my experience there arer too many stuck up people out there whom expect the world to bow down at their feet whilst the rest of us arent worth their time.. i love the water and love to fish "flatout" and hav always said i wont swim in it an if i feel in i'd prob hav a heart attack. im sure i've rescued some of those ignorant people before but wenever i have ever been out on the water i always make sure that the safety of others is second to my own.. boats float and if u cant control your boat in the chop then u shouldn't b out in the first place coz ur only creatin a danger to others whom have to save you or provide assistance. and if you are one of those people who do feel your in control then pull your fimger out and BE HUMAN, even if its just to help someone live..imagine if u could've saved lifes of an entire family... would u have rather landed that extra tommie instead...GOOD TOPIC but its a pity they dont do moral tests when acquirin your lisence..like carps said

it should not even be about duty in my eyes it should be human nature to want to help if not go have a good hard look at ya self

Several years ago I went to launch at the old Outer Harbor Ramp, and found a bloke with his boat loaded back onto its trailer, but his holden ute struggling to get any grip.From memory the trailer wheels were over a small drop at the end of the ramp, plus numerous potholes etc and lots of weed growth that bit more tricky.This guy was burning up $ worth of rubber each minute, and going nowhere in a hurry. The tide was coming in too so I ofeered to drag him out.Unhitched the quinny in the car park, reversed the Jeep down the ramp and had the ute, trailer and boat in about 1 minute :) From memory it was a Red ute, and the guy was a member of another SA Forum. He may even remember this and be on this forum too :unsure: