Gday.After a fair bit of slackness at the old rod building caper, I thought I'd better get back onto it and start finishing off some of the works in progress.I've never had a "flash" heavy rod for trolling or bottom bouncing. I bought a 10-15kg 5'6" Ugly Stik a couple of years ago, but not having a boat meant I didn't really need my own "flash" heavy rod. I decided a while ago that I neeeeeded one.The blank I chose was a Samurai NV9 rated to a maximum drag of 15kg. I think I was a bit heavy handed in going for this one but nonetheless, I have given this rod a run through its paces (read on) and am happy with how it delivered.The grips are EVA, the components are all Fuji: Alconite guides and tip, heavy duty reel seat, deluxe gimbal butt.As usual, I added a hook keeper as I get peeved seeing at high end rods (that attract a high price) to find that they have no hook keeper, forcing people to hook their sharp things onto the guide frames, or worse still... the guide inserts!Strangely it seems that Samurai provide no decal to affix to the completed rod to further expose their product. This is the 3rd Samurai blank I've built on and they've all had a lovely "Samurai NV9" or "Samurai SX0001" painted in metallic gold on the blank... but right where the grips are to be glued. Dunno!Anyway, all guides are underbound then over bound - the threadwork took me bloody ages. 2 coats of colour preserver were then applied, then several coats of epoxy.I was lucky enough to get a week to let the epoxy cure fully before loading it up. The result was 2 SBT (13 & 22kg). The rod and a Shimano Thunnus Ci4 6000 with 40lb Power Pro braid handled it very nicely. It then had no problem bottom-bouncing for Southern Bight Redfish, Snapper and Morwong in 55m of water with nice sensitivity for bite detecting but still giving out plenty of power.So now this rod is going to get hung up out of the way until it'll get dusted off to be used again when I next get the chance to go chasing some big fish.Thanks for reading.Cheers.P1010421small.jpgP1010412small.jpgP1010417small.jpgP1010418small.jpgP1010422small.jpgP1010424small.jpgP1010301small.jpgP1010311small.jpg

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement there chaps.I must say that I absolutely love building up a rod. An hour or two, here and there with some good tunes or movie in the background and I can just twist away.Stand by for #7, it's a fairly "gaudy" one, but that's what my mate wanted when he asked me to do it.Thanks for the interest and the comments.Tight lines.