Fishing of Sellicks

Hi, my name is Justin, i love fishing just never get the time, im keen to go off sellicks beach asap and have surf rod and reel, and hopefully get out in the waders, has any one fished there lately? whats running at moment?any tips would be greatly appreciatedJustin

Thanks guys, i tend to go for the same setup, slowly realizing i need to get more into the different hooks and bait, my reel didn't really perform tonight either only getting out 30 - 40 metres, how far out do you have to cast to catch anything decent? Im going again this week with size 6 hooks and maybe a wire trace, o well hopefully this chat leads to some good fishing lolThanks for the tipsJusto

Hey Justo, Welcome to SH.What do you want to use a wire trace for? If your using size 6 hooks, I'd say there's no need. We dont use Wire for Salmon either. What size lead are you using? Usually you don't need to cast too far. Around O'Sullivan's beach I use a 1 1/2 ouce lead when there's a few waves and a bit of movement to clear the breakers, but only a size 2 bean when its calm. There's a wealth of information here in the forums and the members are great. You'll find no end to advice from others in the know.Best of luck mate. Remember to post when you have a good sesh. We all like to see pics!!!

How do you get the mince meat to stay on the hook?, ive tended to steer away from cockles cause they come of so easy, but in saying that the setup ive been using dosent work to well either lol, I have some sinkers from the tackle shop at christies beach and funnily enough there is no weight on them, id say there about 2.5, hopefully i will be going to the shop and getting some better hooks and a stronger trace line this week. :cheer:

welcome too s&h mate , i was down there with southie the other day and was only casting a matter of about 4 or 5 mteres into the shallows ,we had just got there and the boys hadnt even finished riggin up and i had pulled in the first whiting ,as the boys said theres no need too flick your bait 40mtres away as most of the mullet n so fourth are almost right there infront of you,also if you have the option id be trying not too go with a surf rod myself i prefer a smaller 2-4kg bream stick myself just for the sensitivity of the tip allowing yo too feel even the smallest bite although id be takin the bigger gear with me cause ya never know when you get a decent size mullet sittin out the back with a couple of hooks in its back just what might come along for dinner . MM

• 12 years later...