OK I've been having major life changes as of late .wont bore the world with them.Going to change my way of fishing:boot: .Deciding to try lure fishing hardbodies first.I'm looking for a cheapish new reel and rod any clues !!I had a look this afternoon at my local fishing supermarket:P ( a few steps around my corner i will be looking everywhere) .Nice chap suggested 1000 to 2000 weight reel showed me a couple of nice rods .One being a Pflugger just like my fly rod .Of course I'll be chasing Bream in the lake and more likely the Pat .As I now live very close to the Pat and not down the bay:P .Braid what weight do I need and he said to use a Flurocarbon leader again what weight and no way will i buy vanish .Or is fluro like the mono I have been using as in 6lbs.Now I like the 1000 size which is small without using google can we get smaller lighter reels .PSI drive over brown hill creek to go shopping anything live down the western end of this creek?havent been fishing in weeks I'm getting itchy just gotta find some $$$

Personally i wouldn't use anything under a 2000' date=' my flick stick is a multi task rod so i run 10lb braid on one of my spools and 6lb on the other, swap between spools depending what i am fishing for and the same goes for leaders.[/quote']well if I catch the size of Bream I catch on Flies then the 1000 would be ideal .then again if I hook up the fish I lose on 6lb mono I may need something bigger .Lets keep in mind I will be doing my "commando style " of fishing. That most guys I know do using lures in other words .I'll be doing a heap of walking and casting .I'll wade the lake not to certain about the pat .Also from my many forum readings Bream lures work on fish like Redfin ?And they had so many pretty lures hanging on their wall :woohoo: :clap::fishing:

I'm looking for a cheapish new reel and rod any clues !!I had a look this afternoon at my local fishing supermarket:P ( a few steps around my corner i will be looking everywhere) .Nice chap suggested 1000 to 2000 weight reel showed me a couple of nice rods .One being a Pflugger just like my fly rod .Of course I'll be chasing Bream in the lake and more likely the Pat .As I now live very close to the Pat and not down the bay:P .Braid what weight do I need and he said to use a Flurocarbon leader again what weight and no way will i buy vanish .Or is fluro like the mono I have been using as in 6lbs.Now I like the 1000 size which is small without using google can we get smaller lighter reels .PSI drive over brown hill creek to go shopping anything live down the western end of this creek?havent been fishing in weeks I'm getting itchy just gotta find some $$$

1000-2000 is perfect! I'd suggest around 1500-2000 for a decent line capacity, making a more versatile outfit.Start with 6lb braid, as when you go lighter you will experience issues with wind knots (maybe further down the track you can go down to 3 or 4 lb).Start with 4, 6 and 8lb leader. Tie on 6lb, if the fish are finicky go down to 4lb, if in heavy structure go up to 8lb.You can get any number of decent outfits quite cheap these days. Look for a rod around 7', IM 8 (graphite content) either 1-3 or 2-4kg, which will be a good match for the little reel.Be careful. Although these rods are quite tough, they are also very brittle and easy to bust.
I'm looking for a cheapish new reel and rod any clues !!I had a look this afternoon at my local fishing supermarket:P ( a few steps around my corner i will be looking everywhere) .Nice chap suggested 1000 to 2000 weight reel showed me a couple of nice rods .One being a Pflugger just like my fly rod .Of course I'll be chasing Bream in the lake and more likely the Pat .As I now live very close to the Pat and not down the bay:P .Braid what weight do I need and he said to use a Flurocarbon leader again what weight and no way will i buy vanish .Or is fluro like the mono I have been using as in 6lbs.Now I like the 1000 size which is small without using google can we get smaller lighter reels .PSI drive over brown hill creek to go shopping anything live down the western end of this creek?havent been fishing in weeks I'm getting itchy just gotta find some $$$
1000-2000 is perfect! I'd suggest around 1500-2000 for a decent line capacity' date=' making a more versatile outfit.Start with 6lb braid' date=' as when you go lighter you will experience issues with wind knots (maybe further down the track you can go down to 3 or 4 lb).Start with 4, 6 and 8lb leader. Tie on 6lb, if the fish are finicky go down to 4lb, if in heavy structure go up to 8lb.You can get any number of decent outfits quite cheap these days. Look for a rod around 7', IM 8 (graphite content) either 1-3 or 2-4kg, which will be a good match for the little reel.Be careful. Although these rods are quite tough, they are also very brittle and easy to bust.[/quote'']cheers ranger .reckon my fly rod is an IM8 just about everything the guy said in the supermarket tackle shop you are echoing.except for the braid(he didnt tell me anything about braid lol) .And I made this decision after much thought (as I do with everything ).As much as i love my SWFF its time to move along :)
except for the braid(he didnt tell me anything about braid lol)
Even though many will poo poo the idea these days' date=' dont overlook Fireline or Fireline Crystal for a good cheap braid (gelspun) to get you started.[/quote']True words from ranger, and for the record I can tell you from experience that some pretty big fish can be caught on a 1500 size reel full of 6lb braid and in my opinion the small gear is the sweetest to use and gives you advantage when fishing ultra light lures.
SFS have Shimano Catana rods for under 60 bucks atm Mick but check out the Dropshots as well for a little more' date=' a 2000 Sienna won't be much more,add 6lb fireline Crystal and you in business....just about to do a post so you know where they are. cheers brenton[/quote']cheers Brenton was looking in the shop on Tapleys hill rd and his combos were cheaper than the supermarket around the corner from me .But his braid was $$$ not sure if it was cheaper than around the corner .I think I may head down to SFS thursday night see If I can buy something .so I can have a flick Friday .Or I may drive up Wednesday night .I'll write everything down before I go wherever to buy it from lol .

There's a new fishing tackle store that has opened up on Dyson road Lonsdale just north of O'Sullivans Beach road where the Billiard tables store is . prices are very good and helpfull advice always on hand. They will be storing Bait as soon as the freezers are in Buy in bulk and safe Tight lines to all

OK Guys firstly thanks every one for all the info .:DI went into the tackle shop full intentions of buying the Sienna combo .But (there is always a but sorry guys) I ended up getting sold the SEDONA OUTFITSedona 2500 reel Shimano extreme stix 7ft .Also bought 4lb Power Pro braid and 6lb SureCatch Fluoro carbon.Stretched the finances and bought 2 lures 1 StrikePro Pygmy model no EG-073sp color code sx880.1 japanese sinking popper .I was under the impression you just used braid and fluoro .Tackleshop guy told me to fill the reel a 3rd with mono then the braid and fluoro .Is this what everyone does ?Cheers and thanks guys I was going to buy the Sienna BUT:eek:

I was under the impression you just used braid and fluoro .Tackleshop guy told me to fill the reel a 3rd with mono then the braid and fluoro .Is this what everyone does ?Cheers and thanks guys I was going to buy the Sienna BUT:eek:
Some people use some mono as backing so you don't need as much braid and it also stops the braid from slipping on the spool.I would wind on the braid you bought until the spool is 3/4 full then wind on the mono until the spool is full, then wind that onto another reel and then back onto your new reel that way the mono will then be the backing and you'll have the correct amount of line,(it takes out the guesswork)If you go full braid then just put some electrical tape on the inside of the spool so the braid bights into it and won't slip.Hope that helps:)