Tuna at Outer Harbour

I caught my first Tuna when I was about 4 years old. We were bringing a load of fish over for the Safcol truck to load up at Cape Jervis and I found an old green smith jig in the cabin and my old man let me put it out... I don't know who got the biggest shock.. my old man or the tuna, I can remember we baked it in the oven. One of my first vivid memories of fishing :)

Not always but most times tuna will push a bait school upwind or into the waves. If you "do" see a school of jumping Tuna go upwind 500 meters or so in a line with the school and turn the motor off and drift down to them. Even if you cant see them jumping, cast the sluggs out and count to 10 and wind like hell. Any quality 2500 reel with good braid on it on a good plastics rod will do. Thats if you "see" them...

1000 fruit bats in adelaide, nothing to do with tuna but it goes to show anything can happenhttp://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/bats-take-over-the-eastern-suburbs/story-e6frea83-1225869760048http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/flying-foxes-home-in-city-garden/story-fn63ra7q-1225999754034

Its not as crazy as it stands. Im sure that back in the 80's that someone landed some good Tuna off of the breakwall.I remember one of the staff at the tackle shop in the city next to the cycle shop..think its closed now telling me stories of him and others he knew being smoked by big tuna off the breakwall..crazy stuff I know

would that be super or sports elliott on rundle street' date='urhookedfish? many moons ago[/quote']Yeah adelaide Tackle shop next to super elliots...not sure of the name of the shop though.I used to hang out with one of the guys there. Cant remember his name either.my memory is shot these days from too much drinking when I was younger. :blush:
Soul ' date=' pronounced ( sool )Had the mully record for a while, He was wearing the sombrero in the photo. Bruce Brown had the tackleshop across the road til Keith took it over.[/quote']Im not sure but I think the guy was just a staff member at the time.he was tall and skinny and I think his name was Chris.
Im converted! Sounds possible. Im going to treck to the end of the break wall' date=' establish a burley trail, and throw some unsecured fresh pilchards and lures around. Try and take one of these suckers down land based.[/quote']hahahaha you got absolute buckleys chance of getting a tuna off a breakwall around adelaide! :laugh:More chance of getting a snapper in the torrens.

Anything is possible i rekon... but hard to believe ...i know lolthat soul guy im pretty sure had that rapid marine tackle shop in Rundle st and befor that was in Grenfell st. bought my penn longbeach from Grenffel St store and 30lb butterworth rod , and bought penn senator 9/0 and killwel rod from Rundle st shop way back now.

I remember not all that many years ago getting 6- 10lb tuna off the seaward rocks at granite island. All on livies. When I was a youngster, I remember seeing some litterally launch themselves out of the water chasing lead lures at the fishermans feet at the bluff, just around the corner from the wharf. Bit of a local secret at the time as my grand father has lived down there since I can remember. He's got some stories. :woohoo:

I remember not all that many years ago getting 6- 10lb tuna off the seaward rocks at granite island.

In about 1979 or so I was working on a commercial Tuna boat, poling Tuna off Waitpinga and Parsons Beach, 2 of my favorite surfing spots at the time.One day I remember we were fishing so close to shore that I could count the surfers out in the line-up at Waits.Tuna go where the bait is, where ever that may be, but they move quickly....there one day, gone the next.
hey everyone i heard it was a mistake' date=' greg irvine said the paper misheard him he actually said there was tuna just out of the pt lincoln harbour[/quote']Oh man, I was so looking forward to getting my first metro tuna on the weekend.was going to catch one on a GULP 7INCH Jerk Shad and all.Im devo!oh well back to the drawing board.Good dam papers giving us bum steers. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: It was probably meant to read Garfish off Glenelg. but some knucklehead wrote Tuna cos they had just had a Tuna sandwich..thats about what sort of reporting you can expect from the tiser..lol.Agreed, was a fantastic thread..couldnt we just continue on thinking the tuna were back.. :pinch:

Well i trecked to the end of the breakwater- and believe it or not- No tuna! (That was before i read the greg irvin comment). Not all bad news though, ans i did manage to bag a pan size snapper (released and an XOS leather lacket that went down a treat on the barbie, washed down with a neice Chianti. There were a few stray salmon trout around aswell. Cheers.