U.S. Market Saltiga Rods

I've noticed saltiga rods in America are very cheap......under $200.I take it they're not the same quality as the saltiga rods in Australia.They look different.I know items are cheaper in USA but not that much cheaper unless they are different.

Not sure but I have seen a few of these myself whilst on ebay and are curious as well.The guides dont look like SIC guides...and guides do make up a hefty part of any rods price.This rod looks sick for casting lures off the stones or flat beaches but only runs Fuji Alconite guides.http://cgi.ebay.com/DAIWA-SALTIGA-SURF-SPINNING-ROD-SAS802MFS-/160595544106?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25643d882a

I can tell you now that they are not rubbish at all. I have two of the 12' rods in the same range that UHF has linked to in his post. Beautiful rods to use & at a fantastic price, perfect if your not wanting to spend a bucket load but wanting a Saltiga. I know the boat rods are also very good value for money & did notice some people in Australia purchasing from the u.s & selling them on at our Saltiga range prices.:huh:

:cheer: :cheer: Hey T-Bone, cheers for the feedback its great to know someone has already got one over here in SA, hey how did you get yours over, cos wouldnt international shipping be pretty costly for a 12footer even in two peices?How much did it cost to ship, as Im thinking of getting the one above?But mine will probably cost more if its a one peice.Im glad you like yours. Given me more weight behind the idea of me getting one eventually especially with the exchange rate being so good in our favour.

probably the us version of the sea jigger/sensor surf in lighter and heavier models respectively.

I thought this might be the case, but when looking at the U.S rod its made of HVF (High Volume Fibre) Graphite blank construction whilst the sensor surf uses HSD (High Structual Density) graphite blanks.Now exactly what the difference between the two is I cannot say..LOL, considering the aim of both is to make an extremely lightweight but tuff blank.

Further looking has revealed that Daiwa build there good rods like the Zillion with HVF, so it looks like the sensor surf may be using the inferior blank.heres a linkhttp://latest-fishing-rods.blogspot.com/Of course to anyone whos got a Sensor Surf they are still a sick rod, Im just saying the blank is not in the same league as some other daiwa rods.

In regards to some of your other queries, I also have a sensor surf & a couple of Seajiggers. So comparing them all can honestly say the Saltiga Surf is better than both. I would be comparing the longer models more to a cheaper version of a Ballistic Surf than anything else. Has the same adjustable weights in the butt section, same grips & V-Flex Ferrule design to name a few. One of the thing's I love about them is the fact that they are rated to handle a decent amount of lead. I have 2 of the 12' spinning models, one is a 15-30lb (3-6oz) & the other is the 20-40lb (4-7oz) (which seems a bit harder to get a hold of these days). Was chucking out big baits & using a 8oz lead over on the FWC on both without a problem & was out casting the other guys in the group.Cannot remember exact shipping cost but reckon it was something around the $80aus mark, they came shipped in a 6ft cardboard rod tube with USPS, think majority of these rods are only available in 2 piece. I really like mine but have since bought 2 Saltiga Ballistic Surf's from the u.s also, was toying with the idea of selling my two Saltiga Surf's but decided to hang onto them as I would regret letting them go.

The only model of Saltiga Surf that they sell here is the one sold as the Balistic Surf in the US and over there they offer three models rather than just one here. The Saltiga Surf rods mentioned above are simply a less expensive blank than the balistics. That being said, prices for rods in the US are considerably cheaper than here, over there you really don't have to spend more than $100-150 to get a quality rod, although you can pay much more if you want. By the way, UHF, all of the saltiga surf rods sold here and in the US come with alconite guides, not sure why you mention sic guides. In looking around I also noticed that the Sensor surf range now only has one overhead model in it's lineup, the 3-6oz, in fact it's the only overhead surf rod that Daiwa sells in Australia now. Not sure why there are so many different options for sale in the US and we get screwed over here. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

I know not a huge amount about the Aus Saltiga stuff vs the U.S. Saltiga stuff but I have happened across a fe w people sporting Daiwa Saltiga rods they got "somehow" from the U.S.A. ... they quite clearly have Fuji Hardloy or O-Ring guides. This is not so say that this hardware is inferior but...Beware what you are buying and for what price. If it's too good to be true... 99 times out of 100... well, you work it out.Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a couple of the 12 footers (1202MHFS & 1202HFS) for threadlines.First thing I noticed is the guides or lack of guides. I had trouble casting them with any side wind as the braid would end up wrapping around the tip.So I got them rebuilt with Fuji low riders and they are now my weapons of choice whenever I hit the beach.From memory I got them (3 in total) for $235 each incl postage, but did have some issues with time and even a broken rod from the courier. But I ended up getting a new one sent out free of charge.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd revisit this topic as I've just gotten one of these rods. I got the 11'3" overhead model that is rated by Daiwa to throw 6-10oz. What I was looking for was a rod that would be happy throwing 4-6oz of lead and a decent bait like a whole squid head or slab of salmon. Daiwa is well known for over-rating their surf rods and after getting some feedback from a US surf fishing forum I decided that this model would do what I wanted.First impressions are good, nice feeling rod with fuji concept lowrider alconite guides and an adjustable weighted butt option. I put my Sealine X 50 on it and tied on a 6oz sinker and just had a bit of a play in the back yard, felt like that weight would load the rod well on an actual cast and it could certainly handle a bit more. Once I've had it down to the beach I'll report back with more.One of the most surprising things was the quick and extremely reasonable shipping. I got this rod from US ebay and they only hit me for $40 USD shipping and it was well packaged and got here in a week, absolutely incredible!

I have a Saltiga 12ft 20-40lb surf rod matched with a Emblem pro from tackle direct in the US. I got a fair bit of stuff from there and it was all top quality apart from the guides I got on a 12ft Emblem Pro surf rod they all had to be replaced. So check what guides come with the rod, my Saltiga I've had no problem with what so ever and it was tested with a medium sized eagle ray and handled it with ease. I personally think it's better to buy reels, line and tackle of the net, rods can be expensive to ship. Check out tackle direct not bad :cheer:

Took my new rod down to the beach today to check it out, as I hoped it casts 6 and 8oz sinkers very well, and it may very well cast 10 oz but I don't reckon I'll ever throw that much with it. It will be a great rod for chucking a 5 or 6oz grapnel and whole squid head. :woohoo:On a side note, bonehead move of the day, got careless on my first cast (must be out of practice) and let my thumb slip off the spool flange and onto the mono, :ohmy: scorched my thumb nicely, there's a good blister on it right now :blush: