hay guysjust got a question for you guys that balloon off jettys.. usually how far do you have the balloons out from the jetty ? ive seen balloons at least 400-500 meters away from the jetty and was wondering is that necessary to have it that far the further the better ?? ive usually have mine roughly over 100 meters away or sometimes even less but ye just wondering what you guys think cheers guys Barbz

Depends on how much line you have on your reel, in my case i only have 500m of line on my 6/0 so i put it out anywhere from 70m - 250m. As there was lots of big sharks metro here last season i only put my balloon out 100m or so as i came very close to being spooled once from a bronzie. B) With the visibility factor of the balloons during the day just use dark coloured balloons and you will be able to see them easily (depending on eyesight) and at night you might just be able to see your balloons depending on the jetty and how much light is coming from the land or you could put a small light inside the balloon before you send it out.

I have my main line ( 50 lb ) tied to a 400lb swivel......from the swivel eye, where my main line is tied,I have about 30cm of 12lb line tied to my balloon(s)......the bottom eye of the swivel,I have 3m of wire trace (usually around 400lb) to 2 x 10/0 hooks.Float out on the wind / tide........see what happens :sh;)

Guest Daniel

Mate as long as your baits in the water your in with a chance. Don't get obsessed with distance from the jetty or even having to have it off "the end". I've caught ones up to nine foot from balloons placed 30m back towards the shore with balloons sitting 50m out,I normally fish one out 100-200m and one on a slightly smaller bait floated 30-50m out, normally pick out a few smaller(3-5ft) ones on the close baits.Remember guys catch them casting baits from shore, so compare that to the length of a jetty.

Guest Daniel

I normally tie a small balloon around the size of a tennis ball in amongst my normal size balloons. That way if u miss a good strike and the balloons pop you still have the bait floating out there and the shark might come back for seconds.

• 2 weeks later...

doesnt realy matter how far a balloons out for me, just keep feeding it out til your happy with where its sitting, my mates have had balloons out 200m and mine only 100m and i got the shark of the night, then again iv had a balloon out 400m and only 50m away from shore and got big sharks, as long as you have a bait out you have a chance, have noticed when the small sharks come in early they hang fair close to the jetty chasing bait fish and crab nets etc.

I think I know what you're asking... blow up balloon, snip off the 'lippy' section and then create a loop (not a knot) at the depth you want your bait to sit below the balloon... then tie another knot in balloon around the loop of your trace... perfect crime as line pulls free as shark (or whatever) hits you and its just you, the fish and a straight tight line! :boot: