EXCITING TIMES! - SA Red Taggers (SART) Club

It is with great pride that I announce that as of today the new ANSA affiliated club known as SA Red Taggers (SART) is officially open!.SA Red Taggers has been set up to primarily tag Snapper throughout South Australia, and to enable further data collection in relation to growth rates, and fish movements in the future. Fish of above 30cm in length will be tagged and the information recorded by the club.If you would like to join the club and feel that you too, can not only catch snapper over 30cm in lenght but have a true passion for the species then please contact:Brett@saredtaggers.comOur new website can be viewed at:www.saredtaggers.comWith today being our first day, we have no data as yet, but I am sure that our passionate members will quickly have some fish data being recorded. Please note that we are also able to tag other species such as Kingfish, Tuna, Mulloway, Salmon and other approved species. So if you feel that this interests you then you should get aboard.Brett Oakley

Congrats Brett' date=' that's great work mate!Best of luck with it, will keep and eye out for updates! :clap:[/quote']Thanks Woody,Just some further information for our members.There is currently two tagging officers in the club one of these being myself and the other being Boyington214, in which you can report any issued tags or any recaptures of fish.Boyington214 can be contacted at:Adrian@saredtaggers.comHi Damien, its not just for Boating anglers but if you were to tag any fish landbased the same procedure must be adopted. Ie you will need to place the fish on a wet brag mat, record its total length, place of capture and the tag number issued.Cost involved in tagging are $19 to join the club (which includes your ANSA M/SHIP for one year) and an initial outlay of approximately $50 for the tagging gun.To join all you need to do is email myself or Adrian at emails provided or follow the Join-us page on our website.At this stage we are all now ready to purchase our tagging guns and be issued with our first set of taggs.Of course we would love to have you aboard mate. :boot: Brett

Bring back those warm summer days, arches showing on the sounder, burley bucket deployed over the back, shaking the rope dispensing a fine mist, schools of Macks teaming in massive numbers behind you. Live Mack on or a decent tommy ready to drop to the bottom, and the anticipation of the next big hit! :blink::blink::blink:

If anyone has any feedback on the website please let me know via PM, I am extremely keen to make this a website in which members can contribute to and can offer ideas and improvements to the site.Please email me any pics that you would like added to the site including captures of approved species like Kingfish, Tuna, salmon or Mulloway.Tks, Brett OakleyPresident SA Red Taggers

Some of the lads might be intereted as to the tagging of sharks seeing a few were caught last year' date=' not sure if they're on the tagging list, if not would be good to see them added too with summer looming. :)[/quote']Yes I think some of the keen shark anglers would love the opportunity of placing a tag in a large shark! This would atleast provide the public with another perspective to the capture, in that it could be seen as helping research data on the species at the same time as just being a great personal triumph to the angler.I will ring SAFTAG tonight and provide an answer as soon as I can.But from a snapper fishing perspective also, us guys also do hook the occasional Bronzie or hammerhead, and having the opportunity to be able to place a tag in one of these prior to release would be very worthwhile.Cheers for the question SL, and welcome aboard! :clap::clap::clap:

Great news last night in that after talking with SAFTAG tagging gun kits are only $45 Ea and not $50 as first thought so there is a small saving there, but unfortunately sharks are not on the approved tagging list. For all members SAFTAG will be forwarding to our club 8 tagging kits so hopefully by early next week I will have your tagging guns available. :clap::clap: Happy Times - but some patience is still required guys prior to getting your gun. :d/ Cheers,Brett

Thanks for asking Brett ;) however seeing no sharks on the list is a bit of a worry (disheartning) :dry: interested to know their reasoning, you'd think sharks were just as important as any other pescotorial species.. :whistle: Read an article a couple years back in S.A Angler where Shane Mensforth & his mates tag bronzies on the section bankHopefully they can add sharks to the list in the near future.http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/tagged-shark-does-the-miles

here's a pic of some Red tagging i have seen before :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: [attachment=5810]Digitalredgraffitialphabet.png[/attachment]

If only I could have SAVED your picture to my PC, I would have photo shopped a tag to stick out of the dorsal fin of that pic and given it a tag number!LOL...you are a funny funny man 4tha.LMAO :laugh::laugh:

Yeah, they can be tagged while alongside the boat. When they tag Marlin and stuff like that, they use a tag pole. The Shark doesn't have to be removed from the water. Snapper and the other fish need to be measured and recorded whereas with a Shark it can be just tagged and recorded rather than measured / weighed.

Cant imagine it would be all that wise tryin to sink a tag into a big arse brozy or hammer while its thrashin round the deck. Or can the tags be put in while the fish is leashed besidse the boat?

About as smart as standing on top of rotten whale carcass with a pack of ravenous sharks waiting for a shmachO :evil: :laugh::laugh:

At such an early stage in the clubs life, Im proud to say we now have our first 12 members!Im hoping that with the amount of experience that AlanH has with tagging snapper over the years, Im hoping we can all benefit from some of his advice.I also would like to also let people know that we have today appointed our new Treasurer to the club, Shane Nyholt.Shane has been a passionate snapper fisherman for numerous years and also competes regularly in Tuna contests in Tasmania. Shane is VERY ENTHUSIASTIC about tagging snapper in his home state and is looking forward, like we all are to getting some tags in fish. :clap::d/:d/:clap: Brett

Hey That's SXXX Hot UHF! I know Shane isn't a member of SH but Welcome aboard all the same!

Cheers mate, Yep he is a GUN SNAPPER MAN and having personally released a fish of about 11-12kilo's of his out on the shoals, I know he is keen to not keep as many fish for the plate as previous years!I think although theres nothing wrong with keeping the odd fish for the family, we should all probably not keep every fish we get (especially big fish) if we bag out. Now the question we need to work out is is there any justification in inserting two tags in a big snapper like they do in WA, or will we just put the one tag in and risk having it chewed out by a hungry school?
  • 1 month later...

Well done Brett and the boys. That's cool to get a big industry name behind you guys. :clap: Does this mean some shiny new toys to help catch some snaps!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tks Rooboy, I wish!!LOLBut its to early to tell mate, but would highly doubt it. :(:) We would hope to ascertain some prizes for the members in years to come, as we have managed to secure already for this year through purefishing. Currently running a photo comp for members to win a Berkley IM7 combo!Cheers Brett.

Might be an idea UHF to list the sponsors that have joined and list what they are offering as a donation for SART to keep the transperancey. Perhaps a newsletter every quarter to advise club members of such happenings may be the way?As there is no forum or such on the SART site maybe we could just create a private group on Strikehook?West Australia is currently doing a tagging program running sonic tags in the areas surrounding Perth where they have placed accoustic recievers to track the movements of the migrating fish and also the survival rate of the tagged fish. Perhaps SARDI may be interested in also conducting some research of their own in the gulfs? We would be well equiped to manage and facilitate such a project and SARDI would well equiped to assist?

Hi Shane, Just letting you know that we already have a private group for SART set up on here. Please feel free to apply to the group and being a financial member will see you gain instant access. Sponsorships etc have already been systematically announced through this group to enable transparency.So to clarify, the SART private group set up on strike hook is for private (financial) SART members only.Down the track I am sure we will look at newsletters, but just bare in mind that while the club is in its infancy the workload is actually alot greater than it would appear. The club is extremely lucky to have some great Senior Members onboard like Adrian Collins and Shane Nyholt, which I must sincerely thank for their considerable efforts in getting this club up and running and gaining massive momentum even prior to the placement of any taggs in fish.Just a reminder that our strength as a club is going to be measured by how much fun members have when tagging fish, and how accurate and timely our data recording is. So when you tag a fish, please email details to Brett@saredtaggers.comIm sure that your idea is a really really good idea in regards to tracking fish, but at this stage, for atleast the first year of the club, I only want to tag fish as per the SAFTAG method and then in future years we could add this method to what we are already doing. WA are already well ahead of us in regards to snapper tagging primarily due to the efforts of former Fishing WA Presenter Ryan Thipthorpe. Ryan, by himself has been tagging snapper for close to ten years in Coburn sound. That is an exceptional effort by him. Ive tried to contact Ryan, but have yet to have any luck. The reason I want to contact him is because he has exceptional skills when it comes to sexing fish..and by that I mean determining the sex of each snapper by cannulation.Cheers BrettPS Rollas, please remain patient regarding your tagging kit, as Im still working on ascertaining your kit at the moment.Brett

No problems Brett, I didnt know there was a private group set up, must have missed the memo..Ryan is what I was talking about as you know so to be able to get his assistance in something like this would be a great coup. I have some contacts in the marine industry in W.A so I might have a crack myself.Cheers and thanks for your efforts.

:):) Yeah mate - no worries.The first few years, I envisage that is all all going to be about getting runs on the board, and by that I mean members putting tags in fish. I wont be to concerned about the total number of tagged fish we get, but I would hope that we are all more concerned with survival rates of the fish we tag, as most of the members seem to know considerable amounts about snapper fishing prior to joining (given the costs of tagging), it also seems that most would know about Barra trauma and good fish handling skills.Im hoping that when members discuss the club and tagging with any friends that are potential members, that the member firstly ascertains the potential members level of experience? If the existing member feels that the new potential member is capable of doing most things right and is capable of tagging fish successfully, then he/she could be considered for membership.The other point is any junior that wanted to join would also have to be accompanied by an adult when tagging.Although these finer points are not written into our club constitution at present, Im thinking that these may be written into some form of club rules later down the track. But dont worry, there is not going to BE TOO MANY RULES within the club.We dont want a club thats bogged down in rules. LOL :dry: :lol:If any members have any ideas that can be included to the website then we would love to hear them! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: