life expectancy of squid /calamari

Hi guys i am wondering if anyone knows the life expectancy of a squid, the reason i ask is i thought that it was onlt around 182 days as i thought that this is what was said on a fishing show on tv can anyone confirm this or is it longer wikipidia says it is 2 years but i am sure it was stated that it was less for the southern calamari cheers crispy :blush:

Guest boys day out

Life SpanSquid have a relatively short lifespan, primarily from 12 months to 18 months long. This is probably why squid reproduction is so prolific. One female squid can lay thousands of eggs, emitting them in long streams into the ocean. Some aquatic creatures feed on these eggs, while others eat the juvenile squid. ;);)

Southern Calamari or Sepioteuthis australis lieves for 320 to 380 days depending on environmental factors and the ability to spawn, the southern Calamari will only spawn once or maybe twice in its life with the male outlasting the females in longevity after a physically demanding spawn, the males will live as long as it takes to protect the eggs once laid on heavy vegetation. The males will only feed on food that comes into direct contact with them while protecting eggs and will rarely leave the eggs unattended until they them selves die. While I was studying this subject at uni it was noticed that the males will live approx 8 weeks longer than the females and more often than not will die before the eggs hatch. Most squid are not sedentary and will travel vastly in their life time, they grow at approx double their size every 4 weeks to an average of 50cm maximum. There have been some Southern calamari that have grown in excess of 60cm mantles but they are very rare as these squid live in open water and are targets of all manner of prey including their cousins the arrow squid. This does not mean that they have lived longer in order to reach these sizes, rather its an indication of the squid that has a protein based body working harder to maintain buoyancy and movement, its a bit like us going to the gym every day, we build our muscles bigger with more work and bigger diet.