A few months ago I visited BCF. Giddy on cash and the smell of new tackle I bought a baitcaster rod and reel combo, about 130 bucks for the rod and reel. Matched it with 8lb fireline went off with my mate (who bought one aswell) ready to catch bream. Cast it first time and BAM massive birdsnests. We then realised we didnt know what we were doing.After a while we worked out how to cast( and what to cast, not unweighted flickbaits :blink:) So realising that it would only cast weighty lures with any great distance, i upsized to 20lb line and turned it into a mully lure rod. Since then it has gathered dust as after a few outings with nothing but the dreaded nest and doughnuts Ive been put off.To my question : Is there any other use that someone can suggest for this combo? It seems like it wont cast anything without a decent weight any great distance. Its an ABU Garcia Muscletip pro 5'6 rod with an abu polaris reel.Its not the flashiest going around but id like it to do something after convincing the missus that it was a good idea to buy itCheers Marc

Hey Mate,I use a lot of baitcasters. What weight class is the rod and what is the line ratings? The dead give away with baitcasters is just that. If you intend to use light lures, these things aren't what you want to use. Heavy lures, yes, but as Rickster says, Practice makes perfect. Far better suited to baits though, hence being called baitcasters. (IMO anyway!)

4-8kg sounds like it will be well suited to baits rather than lures. The trouble with overhead reels is that they take a hell of a lot more effort to cast light weights. Getting the momentum in the 'drum' is the key, but as you've found out, too much causes the dreaded birds nest. Overhead reels can be fine tuned for various cast weights. Normally on the same side as your star or lever drag, you have a cast control knob where you can adjust the speed at which the drum rotates. I was taught quite a few years ago by Starlo that you have to adjust the knob until the item you are going to be casting travels to the ground at a steady, but not quick speed. (done from a standing position with no rod action. Just press the button / lever that you use for casting and let what you are casting travel to the ground) This engages the spool braking system when casting. You will still need to use your thumb for control of the spool though. But they were not specifically designed for light weight casting use. Heavier Barra type lures and baits where a reasonable weight is used. When using Bream lures like the Kokoda Sprog and lighter vibes or Blades, spinning gear is a must.Of course, this is only my opinion.

Buying your first bait caster sure can be a pain in the :c . For anyone doing it the first time, know exactly what you want it for, and seek guidance from someone who knows what theyre talking about. ;) Hopefully this doesnt become a pricey blunder for you, but as Rickster said, practice practioce and practice.By the time you've perfcted it hopefully the wife will have completely forgotten abput it :whistle: ;)

Hey Mate' date='I use a lot of baitcasters. What weight class is the rod and what is the line ratings? The dead give away with baitcasters is just that. If you intend to use light lures, these things aren't what you want to use. Heavy lures, yes, but as Rickster says, Practice makes perfect. Far better suited to baits though, hence being called baitcasters. (IMO anyway!)[/quote']Spot on Boyi B)

Maybe we need to start a new thread. How to woo the other halves so we can purchase whatever fishing gear we want!

The best one is to say your buying one reel and actually buy two plus a rod as well.with the reels, cos youve probably got a few already, she wont even notice an extra two...LOLRods can be a bit trickier..lol :d/:d/:d/
Maybe we need to start a new thread. How to woo the other halves so we can purchase whatever fishing gear we want!
The best one is to say your buying one reel and actually buy two plus a rod as well.with the reels' date=' cos youve probably got a few already' date=' she wont even notice an extra two...LOLRods can be a bit trickier..lol :d/:d/:d/[/quote'']The perks of being Single :silly: :silly: :silly: :fishing::fishing::clap::clap::boat::boat: :f :f :sh:sun:
  • 4 weeks later...

I mainly have baitcasters because they are the most accurate for casting, have the best drags and give you the most feel for the fish. But there are two rules :1. There is a minimum weight you cant go below, so SPs are out no matter how small the reel.2. There is no such thing as a good cheap baitcaster.So for bream / SPs I use an eggbeater. What you have is probably only suitable for trolling.