are you asking how to catch mulloway or live bait? to catch mulloway you need live bait. to catch live bait berley out and use small hooks with gents or pillies and keep them in a bucket with an aerator. don't bother with shitties there useless, mullet and tommys are around atm they work. garden island, torrens island, local jettys, beaches all have them. you can even catch live bait in west lakes, there are mullet, tommys and gar everywhere but for every one you catch there's 9 bream that you'll also catch.

...don't bother with shitties there useless' date='[/quote']Many wouldn't agree :blink: but I do :whistle: The first time I witness a mulloway caught on a shitty I will be the first to let anyone know. Just my experience.... I reckon you're better of with a lure than a live shitty. Also, a pencil float with small hooks is ideal for catching live bait, you'll be surprised what hits it from jelly bean sized tommies :) to legal mullet,gar and salmon trout. Ps if live baiting with gar, hook throughout their beak, and if using two hooks put the other into wrist of the tail.... They are very fragile and shoulder rigging will probably have em last half hour at bestGood luck look forward to the report and pics :)
are you asking how to catch mulloway or live bait? to catch mulloway you need live bait. to catch live bait berley out and use small hooks with gents or pillies and keep them in a bucket with an aerator. don't bother with shitties there useless' date=' mullet and tommys are around atm they work. garden island, torrens island, local jettys, beaches all have them. you can even catch live bait in west lakes, there are mullet, tommys and gar everywhere but for every one you catch there's 9 bream that you'll also catch.[/quote']I prefer red herrings as live bait...... :whistle:

I deliberately love knocking shitties as live bait, because people saying they are great gives me a confidence boost with em.... Still use any other live bait before trumpeter.... But I can't ignore what banga and many others reckon.Any size shitty is within the law to use.... Sane as any size Tommy which I reckon are gold fit snapper and mulloway. I use 30lb braid mainline with a short (15cm) line coming off an ezi rig slide for My sinker as it helps if casting a heavy bait ;)40lb mono or fluro traceclose to a full meter with two snelled 6/0 hooks. If in westlakes, I would burley around lights if it's dark for live baits. Burley and small hooks with tiny bits of bread or gents or just about tiny anything Just about any location, will see you catch your livebait in no time.

Is there a minimum size one should consider when taking a shitty? ;-)

theres no size or bag limits fella.. and ive seen mullies smash pretty big trumpeters
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: toot toot nothing wrong with the trumpeter, not sure on west lakes though. Never had a hookup there (yet) but can vouch that they work well in the port till you get something better. As you all would know different techniques for different areas. ;)

It was a pretty open question so here's my opinion..1. mullies are ambush hunters so target a spot where there is structure or eddies they can hide behind...(a bait fish will swim along then get disoriented when they are swept into an eddie - mullies will take advantage of that)2. catch your live bait in the spot you are fishing - normally the predators will be targeting the bait in the area - normally a quill float and a bit of pillie or dough will suffice to catch a few baits..3. rigs depend on where you are fishing - you want your bait to swim as naturally as possible - anything from no weight to fixed ground rigs...Cheers...

Definitely about technique and how you use each species for livebait.I have to say also that Ive caught most of my Mulloway on shitties in Westlakes around the Trimmer Parade area and the Bridges. It would be ill-advice to say they don't work. They have some good advantages to the fisherman. For one, they are easy to catch compared to a Mullet or ST, lasts alot longer in the aerator and on your hooks, have no size or bag limits so you don't have to worry if the Fisheries rock up. So here's a good tip if your using a shitty in the lake: Since the humble shitty loves to hide under weeds and rocks, counter this by using a paternoster rig to keep them just above the ground and in one place. This will allow the predator to easily spot the bait. When bait sees predator it goes spastic and then ZZZZZZZZ! your reel starts screamingggg!:D have fun