Smiley's leader knot

A while ago I was having issues with my leader knots, I tried lots of different ones and ended up coming up with my own.The knot is stronger and a little smaller than a double uni. It also ties easier IMHO.It is best suited to lightish leaders, 6lb and under, it does start to catch the guides a bit too much when you start getting much heavier than that.Give it a go, tell us what you think ;D [file name=6Wo8hbAt__Smiley.pdf size=258294]http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/6Wo8hbAt__Smiley.pdf[/file]

Nice one smiley , yes that is a nice knot.Sorry to steal a bit of thunder from you mate but the knot you show is actually used a lot by long distance casters, mainly for comp casting and mainly in the UK and Europe.I use it for when I am doing distance casting ,its great for shock leaders, and the reason they use it is because it is the slimmest.Only one is more streamlined and that is the blob end knot, which is a pain in the a#$e to tie.It is considered one of the best.It is a testament to how you must pay attention, and be thinking to improve your angling to experement and work it out for yourself.Awesome work mate and plenty should benefit from using it.http://nickaway.com/images/Backgrounds/shocker.jpgCheers 8)

I thought someone might have thought of it before, but I came about it on my own. I did have a quick look around on several of the knot sites but couldn't find anything so I claimed it ;)Just noticed that the one in your link is different to mine, I tie the uni over the tag aswell

cool, i just love this stuff, nice one Smiley.Just outa curiosity , how do you know its stronger than a double uni? did you test it, and if you did, how?The reason I ask is, i put up a post about tying heavy leaders to mainline, but im tryin to work out a way to test the knots..80 - 100lb ish.

Cheers Brenton, I've only tested it properly once tho so it's hardly a definitive test. But through fishing it and other knots I have tested it plenty and it's the only one that hasn't given out on me.Just for the record, when we did test it we used 10lb braid and 8lb leader(from memory) the uni broke at 3.0kg(6.6lb) and mine broke at 3.6kg(7.93lb)!!! I think i'm going to have to test it again, that number seems to close to the breaking strain of the leader. It's funny tho, when the knot fails the leader almost always breaks just behind the knot leaving the actual knot intact! So I guess the breaking strain for the knot wound be very close to that of the leader.

The albright is slightly slimmer in the light stuff, more so as the thickness of line increases. It doesn't pull up right every time, only works well when there is a reasonable diameter difference between the lines and doesn't last too long punching through the guides. It's strength is ok if you use a double in your braid. I'm not sure how it compares when tested but I came up with my knot because I wasn't happy with it overall.

keep practising brenton improved albright is a good strong knot and probably the easiest outa the leader knots to tie, ive rarely had problems with it. as long as u stick with 5 wraps up and down shes sweet. only probs over the years has been if u leave a little tag it can catch and cause bird nest and lose lure or jig but again rare. :) :)cheers

keep practising brenton improved albright is a good strong knot and probably the easiest outa the leader knots to tie, ive rarely had problems with it. as long as u stick with 5 wraps up and down shes sweet. only probs over the years has been if u leave a little tag it can catch and cause bird nest and lose lure or jig but again rare. :) :)cheers

I cut my my double then plait it over the tag end. Problem solved. “Ü”

I cut my my double then plait it over the tag end. Problem solved. “Ãœ”try to keep me knots as simple as possible yobbo usually using light leader so its figity enough. as long as tag end nice and trim there no probs, but feel free to explain further. im not sure wot u mean :)

bit hard to explain in words, but i will give it a go.I tie a bimini twist, then connect the leader with an Improved Albright. As you know this leaves the tag end of the leader pointing down the leader, and a chance of catching on the eyes. To neaten this up, I cut the double of the braid (the knot is already tied so it doesnt matter), then plait over the tag end by wrapping one piece of braid over the left, one over the right until the tag end is neatly covered then tie it off.If using a short leader there is no need to cut the braid, just twist it through the leader back and forth.For light leaders I usually use a Yucatan knot, but I reckon I will give Smileys knot a go.Different knots for different situations, and I agree, keeping it simple whenever ya can.The knot i just explained is for more of a permenant fixed leader, eg deep sea reef fishing.But I do tie a bimini twist in all my braids.

sounds good have to get meself on a deeper sea charter one of these days, :) but for now ile stick to the shallow coastal areas and estuarys(bit tight on cash) missus would spit chips if i went on a charter with a boat in the shed. ;):D i reckon ile have a look at smileys knot good and proper though already printed it out ile sus it out dis arvo. looks to be similar to albright though :)

sounds good have to get meself on a deeper sea charter one of these days, :) but for now ile stick to the shallow coastal areas and estuarys(bit tight on cash) missus would spit chips if i went on a charter with a boat in the shed. ;)

I got that bit sussed, mine comes with me, she loves it ;)
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...