i was at the markets today on a mission to get a manual hand mincer to try making my own burley. as burlz and i done alright at browns on the weekend i kept all the salmon frames.now is it just me or is this hard work??? and it looked heavy duty me thinking it would do the heads and bones but it didnt. i manages to make a quarter of a bucket full of salmon mince which is now mixed with the secret herbs and spices for a hot session fishing.but if anyone has any ideas to help make this easier i would appreciate it.cheers jewie

yeah its a bit messy aint it.... >:( ive used a manual mincer for a couple years now and yeah there not made to chew up bones. my last mincers blades shattered within months from the pressure and looked like they where made from a very pouress metal. so if u can find spare blades get em which u usually can with the ones from ebay. the main problem ure probably having is ure mincing fair sized salmon which will clog up the feeding spindle mechanism making it fricken hard work. i usually only mince up gar and tommy frames and left over pillies, but have done a few salmon and remember cutting them up to more workable sizes even cutting heads in half.Most times ile use salmon whole and cut em in to cubes in conjuction with the minced up frozen blocks of gar,tommies,etc etc. so yeah ile only put salmon through the mincer as a last resort. hope this helps.cheers, ;D

From another post for those who have not seen this alreadyA little gadget that I cobbled together a few years ago to prepare berley is an adapted "Insinkerator" An in sink, garbage disposal unit. This unit makes short work of crab shells and the like as well as macerating fish frames and heads. The set up is a double drainer sink, one side has a cutting/filleting board and the other holds the trays on which to place fillets etc. All the blood and guts, shells, frames and heads go down the sink. The plug hole is about 100mm diameter and the 1hp unit is capable of mashing chop bones. Underneath is room for a 20litre plastic container.(Chip fat drum or similar)with clip on lid. The more water that you let down the sink the finer the chopped berley. These units can often be picked up for around $25-$30from second hand building supplies but best get them with the purpose built sink.RogerG

I am not sure what mincers are made off but have sneaky suspicion that is cast iron, if so body should be ok but if blades are made of cast iron as well that one is asking for trouble trying to mince anything to heavy.Remember cast iron is a very porous metal.I could suggest to make the blades out of stainless steel strips but then most likely another part of the mincer will go bang.

i was at the markets today on a mission to get a manual hand mincer to try making my own burley. as burlz and i done alright at browns on the weekend i kept all the salmon frames.now is it just me or is this hard work??? and it looked heavy duty me thinking it would do the heads and bones but it didnt. i manages to make a quarter of a bucket full of salmon mince which is now mixed with the secret herbs and spices for a hot session fishing.but if anyone has any ideas to help make this easier i would appreciate it.cheers jewie

Having the gear semi frozen really helps but the job is still a pain in the arse,i prefer a machete on a wooden block for the chunky stuff and am lucky enough to have a mate with a commercial mincer that eats the stuff for breakfast. cheers brenton
  • 4 months later...

G'dayI bought a gmc garden mulcher for burley chopping, I think it is more suited to this than as a garden mulcher LOLI liaised with local fish shops for offal, have an axe on hand for any large heads, I used flower pots with freezer bags in, blocks come out well due to tapered shape.It all worked ok but in the end I went back to just buying burley blocks. Getting lazy in my old ageI like the idea of the insinkerator with a dedicated sink, probably a little tidiercheersRod

Guest Butters

I use a garden mulcher too.. if your gonna put heads through make sure they are defrosted, if not frozen pillies and gar fly through the things.. Also beware!!! dont look over the top of the mulcher when ya put a slightly soft snook in whole... they explode!! and ya get cover in stinky snook poo...

• 5 weeks later...

I use a garden mulcher too.. if your gonna put heads through make sure they are defrosted, if not frozen pillies and gar fly through the things.. Also beware!!! dont look over the top of the mulcher when ya put a slightly soft snook in whole... they explode!! and ya get cover in stinky snook poo...

I'd keep the garden hose close by then.O

Thought I'd post a picture of my mincer.Like most started doing it by hand :icon_e_surprised: no not that ..... mincing u dirty sod ::) :icon_lol:Then a mate decided he'd make me a motorised version and walah this is what he came up with.Whiting heads and tougher frames need to be cut up a bit, but does teh softer stuff easily enough. 8) size=650http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/K6F91Lmk__CK_Mincer.JPG[/img]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...