Shark Diving Tour "Restrictions"

Just trying to get my head around something here...http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/travel/news/shark-cage-tours-set-to-take-dive-at-port-lincoln/story-fn3015fd-1226313946452"THE State Government plans to restrict shark diving tourism operators at Port Lincoln because the practice is changing natural behaviour. The Environment Department has confirmed it will re-issue a maximum of two licences for shark diving operators. There are currently three businesses which run shark diving tours out of the Eyre Peninsula centre."So - it`s probably not a great idea to keep doing it - so we`ll restrict the practice - by renewing 2 out of 3 licences...???

I saw that as well Kon, How does cutting it back to 2 operators restrict the change in behaviour? If they all operate in the same general area then surely they all attract the same general population. I notice they didn't quote the research, just said it's a DENR decision. Love to see the paper to be able to give an informed opinion, or is it just DENR being against it so we'll test the waters, so to speak?

Shark cage diving is great for tourism in this state. People come from all over the world to cage dive off port lincoln.It brings thousands of interstate and overseas tourists to port lincoln each year.It probably does change white shark behaviour to some degree but its only in one tiny remote location in the whole state. Its not like there's dozens of shark cage diving operations all over the state.Decision seems to be yet another irrational stance taken by a greens party influenced labor government.

This decision may - and I stress may - have made a modicum of sense if it had been accompanied by an in-depth scientific study undertaken over of a period of years.Another decision lacking in credibility. Knee jerk comes to mind or perhaps directions from one's master's.Ah yes, politics, free, fair and balanced. :pinch:

i can attest first hand at the tourism benefit that the shark dives bring to Lincoln... considering we offer it as part of our tour experience! i havnt had a tour this year with out shark divers on it. dropped 4 off this week. 3 last week. our bus on the road at the moment has EVERY passenger on the Perth-Adelaide trip ALL doing the shark dive. i still think the 350,000NZ fur seals would have a fair attractiveness to them...

I"ve seen plenty of talk on here [another thread somewhere] with guys argueing blue in the face that feeding Whites ect has changed their behavior toward boats and man,saying they associate them with food.Cant remember the excact thread but its on here somewhere,maybe someone with a bit of political punch has the same idea?

I"ve seen plenty of talk on here [another thread somewhere] with guys argueing blue in the face that feeding Whites ect has changed their behavior toward boats and man' date='saying they associate them with food.Cant remember the excact thread but its on here somewhere,maybe someone with a bit of political punch has the same idea?[/quote']http://www.strikehook.com/forum/5-general-fishing/142328-sharks-take-diver
I"ve seen plenty of talk on here [another thread somewhere] with guys argueing blue in the face that feeding Whites ect has changed their behavior toward boats and man' date='saying they associate them with food.Cant remember the excact thread but its on here somewhere' date='maybe someone with a bit of political punch has the same idea?[/quote'']http://www.strikehook.com/forum/5-general-fishing/142328-sharks-take-diver
http://www.strikehook.com/forum/5-general-fishing/179053-sharks-should-they-be-hunted-down
  • 1 month later...

And after all the hullabaloo, what a surprising outcome. Not.http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/shark-tour-operator-days-reduced/story-e6frea83-1226358202932 All three operators, but only 5 days a week;Environment department chief executive Allan Holmes said the decision followed a review of cage diving activity and its impact on shark behaviour."It was decided it would be possible to award three licences for shark related tourism activities, while still minimising the impact on sharks from these tours," he said."Newspeak" lives - what is the point of going through the PR charade when patently 5 days out of 7 would hardly be minimising anything? At least there would have been maybe, just maybe, a little more credibility to that announcement if the word reducing had been used instead.The good old token gesture to appease any critics, throw in a bit of word spin...all good, let`s move on...