Squid at outer harbour??

Hey there all. I'm a long time fisherman but am quite new to boating having bought my first boat a 16ft alloy centre console Savage a month or so ago. I've been seeking squid in the outer harbour, pt adelaide and st kilda area since my first outing, to no avail!! Am I wasting my time or do they frequent these areas?? Someone's old school knowledge will nail this one! Haha. On the upside I'm getting some hours on the boat under my belt and enjoy every second of it. Hopefully I can bring some useful hints and tips to you all soon too. Cheers, stay safe. Gimbles. :boat:

Haven't tried any of those areas for squid myself, but down that way Brighton - Glenelg is killer for squid, the brighton jetty is good but overfished, so if you can get a couple hundred meters out on the boat you will get heaps, possibly even bag limit.I always use tommies on a jag, plastic jigs up that way have been useless for me unless there is a tommie out on a line aswell and use the plastics to tease them into striking it, but usually i will catch 3 on tommies for every one on plastics.Find a nice weedy area with a sandy patch in the middle and cast there, never fails for me.Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

i've had some reasonable catches off of marino in a mates tinnie but there is alot of cuttlefish there as well, i have found that they seem to take the red head/white body yo zuri more than squid in this area tho.not too sure about outer harbour way but i would have thought they would be around anywhere you got broken bottom

Have caught many boat limits from st kilda and a bit north but best from late april - august. Try the area just north of black pole 3-4kms and drifting when the water is clear in the cooler months, you should do ok. Another tip is size 2.5 - 3.0 jigs and cast them up current and work them back towards the boat. You will get lots of weedy snags but also should get lots of squid!!!!! Normal depth here is 14 - 18 feet.

How'd you go Grimbles? I need some Snapper/Whiting bait!
Hahaha. Sorry Dan' date=' you'll have to stop in at your local tackle shop mate!! Haven't tried yet' date=' i did go a few times with the intention of squidding but ended up getting side tracked fishing. A monday sickie is looking good :fishing: Gimbles[/quote'']Ha! I actually meant I might head out and catch some myself :laugh: Good luck if you get out on Monday.
How'd you go Grimbles? I need some Snapper/Whiting bait!
Hahaha. Sorry Dan' date=' you'll have to stop in at your local tackle shop mate!! Haven't tried yet' date=' i did go a few times with the intention of squidding but ended up getting side tracked fishing. A monday sickie is looking good :fishing: Gimbles[/quote'']Ha! I actually meant I might head out and catch some myself :laugh: Good luck if you get out on Monday.
:laugh::laugh: I thought you were winding me up for some bait!! haha. Actually went out yesterday around the black pole. Few squid there, few tommies too. No red fish though :c