thinking of changing from mono to braid

Hi all well just of late i have thought about changing my reels from mono to braid ,i use the old 4 turn half blood knot a fair bit (only one i know apart from a granny) can this till be use das i recall someone mentioning that they had to learn to tie new types of knots as they were using braid and the knots they used were coming undone ,any suggestions ?all help appreciated crispy :)

I like using an improved albright on light gear up to 10lb. On the heavier lines I use FG knot, quite complex and time consuming but very smooth through the guides. there are other good ones out there too. Up to you which one you can tie easiest and fastest.Hey Brent61 good point there. I'm actually wanting to go back to mono too after I lost a big Mulloway to structure a few weeks ago, I might have had a better chance with mono.

I've recently decided to do the same and bought 500 meters of multi colour 50lb braid off of eBay, good brand, $40. I'm planning the do two of my rods in braid as i've never used it before. You tube has some very explanatory videos on knot tying and also this little gadget.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VefOpV2sa3g

I think the lads have covered knots :)The only advice i'd add is if casting lures, when you flick the bail arm over, pull off a bit of line against drag and it helps prevent wind knots as sometimes when the bail arm is flicked the line can be a bit loose. At the end of the day flicking lures I put on a salmon lure and cast as far as i can and wind it back under even tension. Nice and tight and I haven't had a wind knot this year! I've converted 8 of my 9 reels to braid now and I regret nothing!

I like braid as I find you dont have to strike the hell out of it when hooking up.....just a slight lift is usually enough.....alot better feel, recommend it.I dont muck around with light braid though....too many knots,10 lb plus for me and I tie the leader on with double uni. Also use vanish leader its great stuff.The only thing I wouldnt use it for is surf fishing when you are trying to cast out a big chunk of squid or a couple of pillies and some lead......it will cut up your fingers when casting the heavy weight.Stay with mono on surf reel unless you only throwing around lures for salmon etc.

I like braid as I find you dont have to strike the hell out of it when hooking up.....just a slight lift is usually enough.....alot better feel' date=' recommend it.I dont muck around with light braid though....too many knots,10 lb plus for me and I tie the leader on with double uni. Also use vanish leader its great stuff.The only thing I wouldnt use it for is surf fishing when you are trying to cast out a big chunk of squid or a couple of pillies and some lead......it will cut up your fingers when casting the heavy weight.Stay with mono on surf reel unless you only throwing around lures for salmon etc.[/quote']50lb braid works well in the surf!

i currently have mono on all my rods and have never had a problem..... but after going out on my uncles boat who had all braid i found that mono is a lot better for the lighter gear anything below 7lb i find gives me hell with wind knots...... all my life though i have used mono so i guess i like mono more...... dont waste ur time with anything below 7lb apart form different knots tho i havent heard about that they seemed to hold together in about 19 metres of water pulling up about a 5kg fish good luck with what ever u choosetight lines Brock :woohoo:

Hey crispy, I've tried heaps of knots and now basically always use a uni knot with my braid. I Snell all my hooks and do double.uni braid to leader. The uni knot is sooo easy, and just awesome! I basically use three simple set ups (all braid).1. 2-4kg rod, 6lb braid to trace (2m) and either 00 sinker w. size 6 hook or plastic/hb.2. 2-4kg rod, 10lb braid to 20lb trace with a big squidgy slick rig. (note I need a medium rod for doing this as I snapped one going too hard a few months back :blush: )3. Is my absolute favourite set up. 7-10kg rod using 30lb braid running a plastic slide to a swivel, then 40lb/50lb trace to snelled 6/0s. I have a spare spool filled with platypus low stretch mono and never used it. This rig is so tough that I can pull the tinny off anchor if not carefull when snagged :) . Perfect for snapper & mulloway live and dead baiting.I lost a huuuuge mulloway about 6months ago using another reel full of 30lb mono.... So sad, probably not anything to do with the line, but I am scarred for life and will never use mono line again... I saw the flank of that fish mate and it still hurts :( After all of that though, I would use braid for king George whiting, but have braid to swivel with a paternoster happening beneath that :)Hope.that helps mate, but.the.important thing is that your rod likes the.choice of line. For the lower weight class braid, I use a pretty stiff tip.