Mulloway live bait rigs.

Been out a couple of times chasing these fish and have failed every time. Just wanted to know what rigs you guys were using off a boat with livies on? I have been using a running sinker rig ( like a Snapper rig) with a single 4/0 Gamagatsu live bait hook and one of those easy rig sinker holders. I have tried also letting the fish swim freely without weight but I have no controll over where the little shit swims. Any help appreciated guys. Mick.

Guest horses4courses

I like to use a similar rig to Bigmac,except my second hook is a large treble,which is pinned by one point just next to the baits anal fin...........I "borrowed" this rig from a Pommie site,they use this style for pike fishing (according to that site anyway)............goes pretty well ;)

I like to use a similar rig to Bigmac' date='except my second hook is a large treble,which is pinned by one point just next to the baits anal fin...........I "borrowed" this rig from a Pommie site,they use this style for pike fishing (according to that site anyway)............goes pretty well ;)[/quote']I got told to stay away from the treble hooks because they can chop the Mulloway up pretty bad and I always like the idea I can catch and release. Cheers for the reply anyway mate.
Guest horses4courses
I like to use a similar rig to Bigmac' date='except my second hook is a large treble' date='which is pinned by one point just next to the baits anal fin...........I "borrowed" this rig from a Pommie site,they use this style for pike fishing (according to that site anyway)............goes pretty well ;)[/quote'']I got told to stay away from the treble hooks because they can chop the Mulloway up pretty bad and I always like the idea I can catch and release. Cheers for the reply anyway mate.
Fair call.Good luck chasing 'em mate ;)

Thanks for the replies guys. I will persist and maybe strike pay dirt. I have only ever caught Mulloway as a by-catch and now I'm chasing them exclusively, jack squat! Hahaha. I Remember stumbling onto them off Wallaroo jetty one hot stormy night while fishing for Snook. All I had was a whitebait and a split shot which when was taken by the first Mulloway, scared the shit out of me! On 8lb line all four were landed with a crab net. That was a great night. I have decked the Tinny out with a home made live bait tank and plan to spend many a cold night Persueing these great fish. These shitty tides on the weekend really suck ass though! Must be a conspiracy :c

Just looking at it from a different point of view for a moment;The rig you use is a small part of the overall picture. Finding a location where the mulloway are prepared to feed, is probably the majority of the battle won... Then WHEN they are likely to feed! ;)An example I remember well is my dad laughing at me forking out for expensive leader material. We were on the fish this particular day, and he cut a piece of 80lb colored braid (for tuna), and used this as his trace :ohmy: he then attached a single 5 or 6/0 hook and cast half a pilchard out..... BANG! Fish on without delay... 90cm mulloway was boated measured photographed and released ;) And like all annoying fathers he then said I'd wasted my money on the fluro carbon leader followed with a typically smart assed "I told you so". :PAll the theorizing is good and all, but you cannot argue with results... Not that I would recommend tying on 80lb braid as a leader on yer rig, but you know what I mean hey :)

Just looking at it from a different point of view for a moment;The rig you use is a small part of the overall picture. Finding a location where the mulloway are prepared to feed' date=' is probably the majority of the battle won... Then WHEN they are likely to feed[/quote']Truer words have never been spoken,saw a guy on a yp beach rock up, down a hundred metres from guys fishing in the "best spot' with all the latest wizz bang...who had been there for hours.First cast pulled a 30lb fish ,slung it over his shoulder and went back to his car and left one very happy and content lad!And one night down salt creek a pair of guys did the same.. rocked up in the middle of the night not far from us ,next morning had 2 ..30 ish and 1 50 ish fish, looking at where they were fishing it would of been somewhere where 95 out of a hundred people would of drove past not even giving it a second look.Cheers B)
  • 3 weeks later...

has anyone tried a teqnique i saw on a dvd called trailer boat snapper filmed at whyalla. he uses a water baloon only blown up thr size of you thumb nail and hook through it to keep the vait off the bottom. cheers.

That's called a rough bottom rig. Caught my first ever legal snapper with that rig.
Ur on the ball' date=' but wanna be about 1m off the bottom ;)[/quote']Yep, i use the sounder as a guide and try to have my livie 1-2m off the bottom depending on conditions, current etc...I use a Gamakatsu live bait hook, 4ft 80-100lb Jinkai to swivel the ball sinker. 30-50lb braid and approx. 20ft 40-80lb wind on depending on what structure i'm fishing around. And reel in strike with about 1-2lb of drag while rod is in a rod holder sitting parelel to the water, usualy a live bait out on both sides of the boat.