wot the...?

And you are not supposed to handle them any more than necessary, apparently they release a toxin through their skin when stressed. Always wash your hands after handling one of these little crittersSwamp definitely has male ornate cowfish (spotted body with stripes near the tail)The one Tonyb has is a female Ornate cowfish I reckon.Waterboy's is a Male Shaw's Cowfish.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,Just found my long lost field guide called SEA FISHES of SouthernAustralia (Barry Hutchins and Roger Swainston)and that seems to clear all the confusion with these strange little guys/dolls.My Shaws Cowfish is a girl while WB's Shaws Cowfish is a boy.Swamp's is a boy ornate cowfish as the girl is striped like the Shaws, but has the yellow coloured belly.Confused? see if you can get a hold of this field guide it's a beauty with lots of great diagnostic piccies too. Can't tell you the price as one of my five adoring offspring bought it for me for Xmas 1996.Cheers, tonyb.