Super Trawler-Xenophon needs our help!

Yes its certainly good to know that Nick is willing to move forward providing he has more support from the SA Public. I have sent him an email, and I have also sent an email to other prominent Pollies such as cough cough Paul Caica, Gail Gago, the legendary Michelle Lensink and others in an effort to get them to pull their fingers out of there arses.

Done.Nick,Like many others I am totally opposed to the introduction of the Magiris to the Australian fishery.My opposition is based entirely around the fact that there will be approximately 18,000,000 kg of fish removed from Australian waters and then sold for $1 per kilogram.It seems nonsense to suggest that the local commercial fishing industry would find it viable to catch these fish if they could only be sold for $1/kg (after export).The Magiris operation is only commercially viable due to the huge volume of fish that it’s able to process, and it’s that very volume and the value attached to it that’s at the core of my opposition – regardless of any by-catch.This business plan relies on raping the ocean for low-value fish based on volume, and that type of thinking should have stopped last century. “Sustainable” and “$1/kg” don’t even belong in the same sentence.A quick visit to any Adelaide fish market would show that there is NO seafood available to our ‘battlers’ at anything like $1/kg. The nearest I can find is the $8/kg sewer-bred Basa from Vietnam.I am an Adelaide based recreational fisher and never fish outside of our Gulfs, but I regard the Magiris as an obscenity that should be banned. Thanks for your time.Regards,

Done.Nick' date='Like many others I am totally opposed to the introduction of the Magiris to the Australian fishery.My opposition is based entirely around the fact that there will be approximately 18,000,000 kg of fish removed from Australian waters and then sold for $1 per kilogram.It seems nonsense to suggest that the local commercial fishing industry would find it viable to catch these fish if they could only be sold for $1/kg (after export).The Magiris operation is only commercially viable due to the huge volume of fish that it’s able to process, and it’s that very volume and the value attached to it that’s at the core of my opposition – regardless of any by-catch.This business plan relies on raping the ocean for low-value fish based on volume, and that type of thinking should have stopped last century. “Sustainable” and “$1/kg” don’t even belong in the same sentence.A quick visit to any Adelaide fish market would show that there is NO seafood available to our ‘battlers’ at anything like $1/kg. The nearest I can find is the $8/kg sewer-bred Basa from Vietnam.I am an Adelaide based recreational fisher and never fish outside of our Gulfs, but I regard the Magiris as an obscenity that should be banned. Thanks for your time.Regards,[/i']

Hi RJ,Great email by the way.One thing we must remember is that mackeral are abundant and not excessively eaten by white middle class Aussies. This is the rationale for the prices we pay for the species we buy in local markets. In the main we utilise mackeral as bait for larger pelagics.This is not the case however for some other parts of the world as many of us know.My displeasure of this issue surrounds these facts primarily.1)I can find no peer reviewed science promoting a sustainable fisheries management regime which includes these trawlers.2)The potential for localised depletion due to sheer capacity in only a few net drops.3)The reason this ship is coming here is to provide a protein source for the human populations its fishing methods have environmentally destroyed.TB