Cockling season 2012/13

Hi mate not sure about it but i would not see why not ,i mean it is not like a metro beach it goes for miles and realy the only people th dog might come in contact with are cocklers and surfers ,one thing to remember is that they do let horses on the beach ,so might pay to ring the council down there just to get clarification ,my dog i wouldnt let of the leash on the dog beach hed be at port norlunga before i blinked

http://www.alexandrina.sa.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/DOGS_IN_OUR_COMMUNITY_-_DRAFT_brochure.pdfhttp://www.alexandrina.sa.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/DOGS_IN_OUR_COMMUNITY.pdf

Council has recently introduced its new Timed Dog Off-leash Policy following overwhelming community support.Dogs must now be on a leash between the hours of 10am and 6pm on all beaches, foreshores and reserves within the Alexandrina Council district.Dogs may be off-leash and under “effective control” at all other times within these areas. These restrictions apply seven days a week throughout the year. Dogs must be on a leash at all times when in other public areas.....For more information about dog registrations and fees, plus dog off-leash areas and times, pick up a brochure from the Council offices or view it on Council’s website, www.alexandrina.sa.gov.au, or phone a Compliance Officer on 8555 7000.

call to be 100% sure on the rules.

previously it was permanently on-leash by-law, you can read all about it in this council minutes if you so wish, essentially everyone in the community exercises their dogs off leash and thought the 'on-leash' by-law was unreasonable and outdated as they have 'effective control' of their dogs, so supported the off-leash policy to be brought in. (not the other way around ;))https://www.alexandrina.sa.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/Council_Minutes_18th_January_2010.pdflong story short... YES you can have your dog on the beach and within the mentioned times (10am-6pm) you are required to have your dog on-leash but it would appear that not many people follow this rule.

long story short... YES you can have your dog on the beach and within the mentioned times (10am-6pm) you are required to have your dog on-leash but it would appear that not many people follow this rule.

Thanks for that Kingsley.@BGGPlease dont let him in the water unsupervised.Last time I was down there with JM, someones dog decided to take a dump in the shorebreak just near us which kind of took the edge off the experience a bit :sick: :dry:

Went down to Middleton today in pursuit of the old Donax deltoides hoping it would be a little quieter than Goolwa Beach...WRONG!!!Totally overrun with surfers...Finally ended up at Goolwa (Pipi Central) and was totally amazed at the number of vehicles/people there (a bit like Rundle Street on a busy day)...Got what I wanted (with the help of a little tacker whose parents just wanted him to go on a "treasure hunt", but weren't interested in the least in keeping their catch), then headed back home after a quick re-fuelling stop at the Port Elliot Bakery.A good day - got me out of the house and got some bait for my forthcoming Coffin Bay trip.Cheersaf :)

I headed down goolwa beach today too, so much for the new restrictions on where you get them from and dogs on leash. Every dog I saw was off the leash, one dog was less then a metre from gettin run over by the 4x4 in front of us on the way back. Anyway ended up with 180 odd cockles in 2 and a bit hours. Was a cracker day.

when i'm on my own I just use a 'green bag' shopping bag pinched in one hand with a big enough opening to put my other hand in and crawl around on my hands and knees digging and stuffing them in the bag. bucket up from the wash to tip them in when the bag gets heavy/full.working in teams works well too, i dig and throw the cockles and sand in front of me while my cockling buddy sorts through them as they get washed back towards me. you might miss a few but its pretty efficient. one person digs, the other picks them up :)