alvey and abu reel

Re the Ambassadeur 10000C. Don’t know how much experience you’ve got stripping & cleaning overheads so I might be teaching you to suck eggs & as Crispy said, if not sure, get it done by a professional. This link will get you a schematic http://www.abugarcia.com/support/reel-schematics?field_schem_numb_value=10000c Basic pull down of these is by the knurled knobs on the right hand plate (the one with the handle). They’re designed to get that plate off quickly so you can access the spool to unpick tangles or change centrifugal brake blocks. For a complete pull down, take the handle & star drag off first, makes the rest a bit easier. Once handle & star drag are off you can undo the knurled knobs & remove the right hand plate, then remove the spool trying not to drop any of the centrifugal brake blocks which can sometimes slip off their posts.Put aside right hand plate for later and take the reel frame. Undo the 4 screws holding the left hand plate to the frame and separate the two. In the left hand end plate is a roller bearing. If the level wind feels sticky strip, clean and lube. Right hand end plate is the tricky bit. Undo the screws on the inside part (next to the spool) place the end plate handle side down and remove the inner plate. This will expose all the gearing etc. Then it’s a case of servicing each piece in turn making sure you lay everything out in order and correct side up, especially the drag washers! Tricky bits are free spool mechanism and the non-reverse pawl. Not going to get into cleaning and lubing as we will end up with a few thousand different ideas on that one and I’m sure there must be someone on here who does it professionally.

my bet is the levelwind wormgear is full of crud or corosion making it hard to wind. or maybe a piece of line stuck in there? :Pflip the reel over and you will see the wormgear moving as you wind, spray a bit of wd40 in there and see if it frees it up a bit then lube it with some Firepower FP-10.or yeah just take it to I think its Bob? at Let's Go Fishing that does a stellar job on the ABUs :)I'd definitely be trying to revive the ABU.

They'd both be worth fixing.The Alvey is easy for anyone to do, just place the parts in order on the bench as you pull it apart and make sure it goes back the same way.If you're not sure on the Abu, I'd be happy to do it at no cost, only cost would be for parts like bearings if required. I've serviced stacks of Abu's, I enjoy doing it.Regards,SB