Hindmarsh Island. worth taking a tinny? what's the Land Based Options like??

Don't get out much, so figured I would take the family out Camping for a good airing.Terrible time of year for last minute bookings haha, but Hindmarsh Island has some camp grounds / caravan park, so figured that sounds good :)Question really is what are the civilized land based spots like?? Any good bream/salmon spots??Also half considering taking the tinny for a little putt putt with the kids... worth it?Any other family friendly tips would great to here about... Any general bush walking fun shenanigans and or swimming and general fishing.Filling me soda stream bottles, putting long necks of Draught on ice, half a dozen steaks and a fishing pole :) :)Hoping for a good amount of forgetting life down there ;)

Hey jack, there's some nice grassed areas with playgrounds before you cross the bridge as you probably know, where the meaty carp are thick, and pretty eager to accept your offering of corn or a rogue garden slug. Over on the island you can park at sugars beach and wander left to 'scabs channel' where there's usually a good supply of just legal salmon trout and mullet. Recent reports suggest some pretty chunky ocean run bream being taken, although I'm not sure where from. It's great wading around in ankle deep water from sugars beach, casting into likely looking channels and holes. Some old sand shoes or wetsuit booties are a must because there's quite a few narky mud crabs that are more than willing to target your Achilles! Goodluck

Take the tinny!! The coorong is epic in a small boat. Launch mundoo channel, troll out to the main river and spaz on the sts, mullet and schoolies. If this southerly is still here next week u may see a yellow runabout beached on a bar down there.Spent many a night as a kid camping on the coorongs bank, pm me ya number for chat if you want to here more.

Many many thanks. I've been checking some maps and it looks better than perhaps I thought.Im ashamed at how little I know about this state :(Will now go and convince the chief that the tinny is a clever idea ;)But hey, that carp fishing with the kids sounds really good ! Same same going for a salt water wade :)

Jack, hindmarsh island is awesome for fishing landbased and boat based.If you're looking for a top down view just google,Sugars beach,Mundoo channel boat rampTHE COORONGBeacon 19 boat rampBasically there are plenty of landbased options, but I'd stay saltwater side of any barrage you come across.It will fish generally the same as the port river ( and i know youve done well there at least a couple of times) in terms of bait and fish, big mulloway, big bream, big mullet at the moment too.If you are taking a boat anywhere near the mouth, you need an anchor about twice the size as usual due to the current and if you're motor struggles at the best of times don't take it anywhere near the mouth without a big pick to throw out if it all goes pear shaped.If you are taking kiddies, use beacon 19 or the mundoo channel rather than brave the sugars ramp and the wade out.Have fun, I should see you there on Saturday morning if youre still out and about.

Oh yeah, I haven't had much luck on lures when the waters running coffee coloured.And speak to the old guy at the servo on Hutchinson and Oliver (don't worry bout the young guys they talk rubbish most of the time) hell normally have a decent tip or two for you.While you're there buy some bait, it's expensive but so is everywhere else.

Take the tinny!! The coorong is epic in a small boat. Launch mundoo channel' date=' troll out to the main river and spaz on the sts, mullet and schoolies. If this southerly is still here next week u may see a yellow runabout beached on a bar down there.Spent many a night as a kid camping on the coorongs bank, pm me ya number for chat if you want to here more.[/quote']Hi Ale,That is really helpful! (Although directed at Jack I know). I've always been keen to explore to Coorong with our tinny. After watching storm boy on tv the other night my passion is reignited! I might pm you one day if I get to it! Hope that's ok. :) Dan C

Well , think it's best I don't take the boat as it's unfamiliar water to take my little girl.Thanks very much bricks, appreciate the help.And cheers for the offer of your coorong knowledge ale... One day I'll do a proper adventure there (with you as guide aye :P. Hope your little one is happy healthy and sleeping well.)

Hey jack spent the last 2 days fishing off sugars in the yak and it's been quite good. Only landed one bream but the school mulloway have been going nuts on a Berkley big eye blade, brown in lighter brown stripes and a red eye. Caught my first Mulley yesterday then caught another 14 like it over 2 days. Great fun on light gear and would be great for the kids.

20121227_121635.jpg

Yeah sugars is on hindmarsh island Luke others have said though Lau children at mundoo channel it's a better ramp its on the same road to sugars. Go out of the channel and chuck a right and there is the mouth. Sugars beach is across the channel from the mouth. Fish where the rest of the boaties are and can almost guarantee a schoolie at the moment. Hoping to get down there tomorrow at some point too :fishing:

Was that you in the hobie ? Saw a couple of yaks in amongst the fifty odd boats. I was in bro in laws tinny. Just be sure to follow the channel markers water gets real shallow. If you launch at Mundoo and get to the end of Mundoo channel the beacons change cause you are going upstream now instead of downstream if you know what I mean. Pretty hectic down there this time of year easy to run aground if you don't know where you going.

Hey jack, if youre launching at sugars try navigating to the mundoo side of the mouth far less boat traffic, and if you happen to hook a bigger jewie far less likely to tangle with other boats and anglers. Its just as productive but seems to get less pressure. Goodluck with it and i hope you manage a few nice legals. Ubolt and i did quite well around 40 between us, with 15 of which were legals and still swimming around.