rigging for luring tommies

Hey guys- I thought this would spark a few comments- it's not hidden knowledge that Tommies love soft plastics and the occasional hard body. I wanted to ask you your rigging style for SP's in particular. Casting off a high platform such as a jetty can be problematic at times. Also Often they are very tentative and only will take very lightly weighted plastics- but this proves difficult when casting with a breeze and needing an adequate sink rate to impart action. Does anyone rig them like a bait? Or add additional lead? Interested in your thoughts.

Bricks has it in one. Berley and poppers. Have caught many a tommies when fishing for YFW on poppers. Even locally, small tommies will smash a lure half their size. But i can see your point about fishing from a jetty with poppers could be hard. Maybe try and hard body metal lures that look like whitebait. "Gillies bait fish" has worked for me over on the Yorke peninsula so why not here locally

over in WA they cut to length and thread a bit of white plastic drinking straw over a long shank hook and cast and retrieve it behind a float (for a bit of casting weight - the clear half water filled type)... the lure bubbles along behind the surface and slays them... saw it in action from a bloke from WA at Elliston jetty - was smashing them...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey dutch,I've always used gents or dough for tommies but have been experimenting with a double hook rig with a 1oz and achampagne cork to float the hooks off the ground away from crabs etc; of course there's no reason that you couldn't thread small soft plastics onto the hooks and rely upon the drift to impart action instead of it being your enemy.Also, have you looked into texas style drop shot style rigging? the top plastic is usually unweighted in those rigs and could work on the tommies? You'd need to burley up a good bit to draw them in, but that's nothing new eh?

Bricks has it in one. Berley and poppers. Have caught many a tommies when fishing for YFW on poppers. Even locally' date=' small tommies will smash a lure half their size. But i can see your point about fishing from a jetty with poppers could be hard. Maybe try and hard body metal lures that look like whitebait. "Gillies bait fish" has worked for me over on the Yorke peninsula so why not here locally[/quote']instead of traditional metal HB, try these guys https://www.facebook.com/pages/MOP-Lures/268731646499218?fref=ts

I"ve found with tommies and lures, you get a few then they go off them quick,not like Salmon that you can catch as many out of a school on lures,maybe 5 or 6 Tommies then they shy off them, then its the odd one here and there, in a boat with thousands of them milling in a burley stream may be different, I'm talking mainly beach or rock .This seems especially so when using those sabiki type bait jigs.Others may have different experience and I can remember once when it was a fish a cast on small chromies, but that was an exception,not the way its normally rolled with them.cheers B)

halco twisters in 3g gold colour. tommies and garfish
Some bloke called Millsie put me onto that one and .. Yes' date=' it's a killer :)[/quote']I'll put another vote in for the halco twisties, particularly off a jetty, ive found if you cast out and keep the line tight they'll smash it on the sink, dont even need to reel in. You'll loose a few fish 'cause they use the weight of the lures to de hook themselves but its still cracker fun :silly:

over in WA they cut to length and thread a bit of white plastic drinking straw over a long shank hook and cast and retrieve it behind a float (for a bit of casting weight - the clear half water filled type)... the lure bubbles along behind the surface and slays them... saw it in action from a bloke from WA at Elliston jetty - was smashing them...

The Sand Gropers love their "herring" fishing. This is fairly similar to the rig we used when fishing over in Perth a couple of years ago.Posted Image