Super cheap bulk braid, nice reels at the DF shop

Hey guys n gals,just discovered a nice little family owned business off port wakefield rd called dorsal fin tackle, bought a couple bits and pieces off them and had my shimano reel spooled with their 8lb bulk braid!Braid seems like nice plaited spectra and cost only 24 bucks, making braid accessible for me! they also had a nice saltiga looking reel made to their specs (boss is a mech engineer) and some very nice and well priced local made rods too! will be looking at their komodo brand reels very soon, anyone tried these before? they seem well made and the drag is very smooth for the price; anyone have one of these?All over, these guys rock; boss man even fixed up and lubed my reel at no cost; top bloke! will be giving them plenty more of my money in future!not affiliated with them by the way, just think that they deserve my rave review. :laugh:

Ohhh man, you really just discovered the dorsal fin? You missed getting to know a true old school fisho and gentleman, Rob Kelly who used to own the place for god knows how longI won't step foot in there again when the new owner spiun me crap about a cheap shit chinese reel he said was up there with a saltiga or Stella that he says he designed etc and then to top it off i found the exact same reel on line at another joint for a hundred bucks cheaper.So ummm yeah...

Hi Shimsman, all I can say is buyer beware on the cheap Chinese made Saltiga rip offs. The old saying you get what you pay for comes to mind.Id be steering clear of that junk. Also with cheap braid it often fades or gets weak really fast after exposure to salt water, so again I would be investing in brands that are established and have something to loose if it turns out to be crap. I guess what Im saying is there are hundreds of brands of cheap braid in which you could buy on ebay or get from DF but for me, I choose to invest a few more bucks in something that wont let me down.I also want to point out that this is only my opinion and I do understand that we do have anglers on here that might be still at school or that dont have alot of available cash, but for those people I suggest scrounging and saving as much money as possible towards your gear. it doesnt have to be fantastic but as much as you can afford to spend. If I had to not fish for a few weeks or a month or so to save for something decent, I definately would do it.

Interesting thoughts guys.the blokes there seem pretty stand up and i got my mitts on the komodo reels and they seem quite nice for the money; as for the braid, time will tell, as up until then i was using a special nylon sewing thread instead which while better than most nylon, dulls in comparison to this braid.Having said that, all i wanted out of the braid was casting distance for SP's and i'm not to keen on tight drag settings, so it should serve me well for now, i don't have much basis for comparison as braid had always been too pricey for me.As for their reels, I won't bag them as i haven't used one yet; they sure are beefy though and seem durable enough but corrosion resistance is another matter that can't be determined by guessing.

Having said that' date=' all i wanted out of the braid was casting distance for SP's and i'm not to keen on tight drag settings, so it should serve me well for now, i don't have much basis for comparison as braid had always been too pricey for me.[/quote']If that stuff doesn't work out for you there was a thread awhile back on some inexpensive ebay braid that several members had used and had good things to say, try a search. Otherwise getting name brand stuff from US ebay is another less expensive way to go.