Garfish on fly

I was having a bad day on the Mini marlinreduced then removed the berleytried every bait I could findWould get 1 gar if lucky on a different bait gut lining, tiny fillet, cockle, squid, sausage & breadFishing 6lb fluro single small hook FRUSTRATING FISHINGI want to make a garfishing fly :woohoo:Not sure where to start?Maybe a small long shank with some white wool as they loved the bread Mackeral pattern would be handy too!!!

I use to tie a mean little gent pattern fly, use to sell em by the gross size 10 mustard 8260 limmerick hook tie in about 12 mm of some flashy polar flash for the tailthen tie in some white chinelle (me spilling up duuf crick this morn)i used a black 8/0 thread & finnished it with a little black tie off headjust used superglue to hold it altogether.if the gar were being akward about taking it on a slow retrieve I would put just a tiny little spot of tuna oil on the arse end, that got em in every time.also did aglow version but the material is no longer availaible.hope this helps.

I use to tie a mean little gent pattern fly' date=' use to sell em by the gross size 10 mustard 8260 limmerick hook tie in about 12 mm of some flashy polar flash for the tailthen tie in some white chinelle (me spilling up duuf crick this morn)i used a black 8/0 thread & finnished it with a little black tie off headjust used superglue to hold it altogether.if the gar were being akward about taking it on a slow retrieve I would put just a tiny little spot of tuna oil on the arse end, that got em in every time.also did aglow version but the material is no longer availaible.hope this helps.[/quote']Sounds like a fantastic little fly Joe, did you manage to get any pics while you were making them? would love to see one in action, or even just the fly itself!

Its a NO to all the above questions, however I will try to get a photo of some I have left in my own fly box & post on here when I have aminuteas there is a bit more interest again recently into fly fishing I will endevour to tie a fewmore flies & sell them.

I was having a bad day on the Mini marlinreduced then removed the berleytried every bait I could findWould get 1 gar if lucky on a different bait gut lining' date=' tiny fillet, cockle, squid, sausage & breadFishing 6lb fluro single small hook FRUSTRATING FISHINGI want to make a garfishing fly :woohoo:Not sure where to start?Maybe a small long shank with some white wool as they loved the bread Mackeral pattern would be handy too!!![/quote']Lol @ the 'sausage and bread', I had a mental picture of your 'sausage in bread' lunch being float out to them. :silly: don't forget the onions and sauce, should get them biting :dry: :laugh: The reason I enjoy Gar fishing so much is it never the same two sessions in a row. Getting the right combination of hook depth, ammount of berley, retrieval rate, if any, and what bait is working on that particular day is the challenge, and as you said sometimes it can be very frustrating. There are hundreds of theories about baits and how to get the Gar biting.... but if it was always easy, and all these theories worked all the time then the challenge and the rewards have gone. ;) Good luck with the fly fishing, if you give it a go. I'd love to hear how you go with it. :)
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm the first to admit that I am certainly no expert fly-fisherman, but wouldn't the fly you use be kind of dependent on the weather/water conditions?Only fly-fished for gar once, with ridiculous success, but that was off of the rocks at Myponga, on a super-calm day (not a ripple on the water) with a MASSIVE school of gar cruising around. We had 3 people fishing, all used gents on ultra-light tackle and after getting the school excited with half-a-hand of gents, they hit my dry fly basically as soon as it came within 1 meter of them.This may not be too helpful, given the conditions we were fishing in were optimal, but you could consider binding a wet (gent) and sort-of-berleying with live gents - I'm sure that'd work!Good luck!