I have been testing the waters with an Aquaponics setup . I first heard or read about the concept on the computer and done some research into the idea and funnily enough it coincided with a possible purchase of some fingerlings . In my research i also decided that i did not want to have to pay for the power that a pump and aerator can consume in there continuous demand being on 24/7 . So solar power was going to have to be the way to go . First things first i had to source out a water proof container , that was large enough to raise some fingerlings to a decent size . Back into some research i found some IBC's , as they are called on Gum Tree for just over a $100 , a bit more hunting around and i found out i can get some cheaper if i went second hand and cleaned them out myself .h4f0850b.JPGThis was not such a good idea as after i had spent over 8 hours cleaning them i would of been better of buying them clean . I then went and bought solar powered Water feature pump that i quickly found out just wont cut it with the little solar panel and tiny battery , so i had a tinker and asked around for some bits . Got a car battery from my Father in-law and i had a house solar panel that was earmarked for the Mully Magnet but i thought it would be better of , and more productive powering the Aquaponics . Next thing to do was to source some media and put things together . I dug the tank into the ground a touch so the grow bed was at a good height , had a few dramas with what was strong enough to hold the grow bed in place but ended up going with what was mentioned on youtube (what i should of done in the first place) . Then i filled it with 250kg of cleaned media and turned the pump on . I had researched up on the Bell Siphon but with the flow i had i had to tune the pipe lengths to get it to cycle properly . Had a few issues with it not starting and then starting and not stopping . Got this sorted but the had to figure out why my pump kept turning of . The pump unit i have has a control unit that has two settings , one for solar power and one for battery power . I first had removed the original battery and wired the solar panel and car battery to the terminals but with it in battery mode it didn't work properly , so i then rewired the solar panel and car battery into the solar power inlet and put the original battery back in . This has finally worked with the settings on the unit on solar power mode .hbe6b13f.JPGhf616539.JPGAfter all this i finally have the system working 24/7 just on a solar panel and car battery and entirely off the grid . wooo whoo . h359976f.JPG Next thing was to source some gold fish to condition the water before i put my fingerlings in and i maneged to get 20 of Gum Tree for $100 . Then me and the wife went up to Bunnigs to get some plants .h90442ae.JPG And now i have a complete set up that , at the moment , seems to be working no problems .h110dd6c.JPG

Cheers fellas . Well hopefully i will be able to get all 3 up and running but the first lot of fingerlings i want are going to be Cod , but not sure if this is a positive as yet . If not then maybe some Silvers and then Goldens and i am hoping to get some Trout after summer . Not sure what time the Vasilis Garden is on ?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

G'day peeps . Well the set up costs were about $100 each IBC , I think it was $180 or $200 for the solar panel , gravel was $25 , goldfish came to $150 , water pump around $180 , solinoids were $20 ish each and car battery i got given . So for about a $1000 once you add every thing together and all the little bits like plumbing and stuff . This set up did really well and ran non stop for over 10 months before it packed it in . I did have to give the pump a clean every now and then but the plants went bannanas . In the process of moving the yard around and builing a bigger set up using the other IBC . i did go the cheap way with the IBC and bought ones for about $30 - $45 dollars that needed cleaning but the time and effort that has gone into cleaning them i would sooooooooo recomend just bying the clean ones . Havent got any photos of the interem sorry . Fish are still doing very well tho .