Rods for spinning reels

Because I don't trust retailers ;) I would like to ask your opinions on spinning rod choices for two of my reels.Currently I have a Shimano Thunnus 4000 and a Baitrunner D 6000 that share a penn "sports" 6-8 kg boat road. The Thunnus runs 20lb tufline and Baitrunner 30lb. I have caught some good fish including big gummies and schoolies and some smaller BFT on the rod and the 6000. But the rod is getting a bit "rough" :S . What would be a good rod for the Thunnus? I reckon that this will now spend more time in the boat and it will be used up at Exmouth casting small metals at schools of small Tuna. It will be used for snapper here in the gulfs as well.As for the 6000 I'm a bit lost :unsure: . I might leave it as a land based only combo as I have 8000 and above sized spinners and large overheads for heavier bottom bashing.

g'day Knackers!I have a Shimano Terez, rated at 15-30lb, very impressed, tough as nails... ive used it for big snapper up to 27lb, cant fault it and have never questioned its power, very very strong and reliable rodA mate of mine has one also and uses it for casting metals from the boat at pelagics out near the Montegue islands (not sure on spelling) in WA and he reckons it casts a mile too!I picked it up for $220.00 a year ago, not sure on prices these days, cheers.

I reckon you cant go wrong with a texalium. Almost as sensitive as a graphite rod but 10 times as tough! I have given up on graphite rods im forever breaking the things! :woohoo: I just bought a new stradic 5000 and paired it with a 6-8 kg texi. Can cast a popper a mile :boat: Blokes at tackle shops will tell you to go graphite but they wont you back there in a months time replacing your broken 1! Cheers

@ KnackersWhy do you not trust Retailers ??As a retailer our best form of advertising word of mouth. We would hope to keep every customer happy. (some you just can't)We need you to go away with good advise, good customer service and good products.Get to know your tackle store staff and you should be able to trust them.RegardsSharon

I too have the same problem with retailers,as i ask on a forum about a product go to google search and find more replies which may be in other forums.Then finally made up my mind what i want and need,be it a rod or a reel.Find a tackle store that carries the item,go in ask for it and it's either not in stock or get told why i don't need it.Just recently i went to get a reel and they had them in stock,the sales guy said.."You don't want that " as he didn't like them and tried to push me into another reel.Now i have deliveries coming in every week thru ebay to my door and no more sales assistance.Problem solved

Sounds like people have had some bad luck with salespeople, I find that being a well informed consumer can help quite a bit. When I go into a shop I already have a good idea of what I want and if I ask for opinions I always take what is said with a grain of salt. I've been buying tackle long enough to know what I want and what's going to work for me.As far as rods for you Knackers, if you want something that is built well and you can knock around a fair bit then it's hard to go past Ugly Stiks or Crystal Power Tip rods.I'm also a big fan of Daiwa rods, I've owned heaps and every one has been excellent quality.Back to fishing shop service, if you're anywhere near the southern suburbs, stop into site sponsor Fishing Wholesalers, great guys, great advice and great prices. Hard to beat that!

@ KnackersWhy do you not trust Retailers ??As a retailer our best form of advertising word of mouth. We would hope to keep every customer happy. (some you just can't)We need you to go away with good advise' date=' good customer service and good products.Get to know your tackle store staff and you should be able to trust them.RegardsSharon[/quote']Sharon,You may have missed my smiley. But, I just find that I like to cast my net pretty wide and get the most info I can. Most of my experience is here in SA boat and beach and mostly overheads and with glass rods. I do not have any graphite rods. Over the last 10 years I have been going to the tropics/top end and to Exmouth and using lures a lot more plus learning by doing trolling. What I will do is see what the experience is from the web and target those rods when in the store. I suppose if I do invest in a rod and things don't turn out that well then I can only blame myself :) I buy most of my stuff local, but sometimes just trying to get any attention from sales staff past the tyre-kickers talking crap not buying anything drives me nuts. So if you offer me some ideas I'd be more than happy to listen!

Most of my experience is here in SA boat and beach and mostly overheads and with glass rods. I do not have any graphite rods. Over the last 10 years I have been going to the tropics/top end and to Exmouth and using lures a lot more plus learning by doing trolling.

IMO graphite rods are much better for throwing lures and I even prefer them for bait use in the surf. Glass rods are great for trolling, especially when chasing bigger fish. I actually don't own any pure fiberglass rods, but I do have some glass/graphite composites.You stated that you wanted to use the 4000 reel for throwing metals to tuna, what weight range of lures do you see yourself using?And the 6000 as a land based setup, can you be more specific as to how you may want to use it? What sort of fish do you want to target? Bait or lures? Braid or mono? Any extra info could help people to make suggestions.
Funny you should say that ;) They are Wholesalers they don't sell to the public
Sorry' date=' can't tell if you're making a joke or not' date=' but don't let the name fool you, they are a retail shop.[/quote'']Nah dead serious,why call yourself wholesalers when your not.Weird way of selling things to the public.Misleading. WHOLESALEWholesaling, jobbing, or distributing is the sale of goods or merchandise to retailers; to industrial, commercial, institutional, or other professional business users; or to other wholesalers and related subordinated services.[1] In general, it is the sale of goods to anyone other than a standard consumer.
Most of my experience is here in SA boat and beach and mostly overheads and with glass rods. I do not have any graphite rods. Over the last 10 years I have been going to the tropics/top end and to Exmouth and using lures a lot more plus learning by doing trolling.
IMO graphite rods are much better for throwing lures and I even prefer them for bait use in the surf. Glass rods are great for trolling' date=' especially when chasing bigger fish. I actually don't own any pure fiberglass rods' date=' but I do have some glass/graphite composites.You stated that you wanted to use the 4000 reel for throwing metals to tuna, what weight range of lures do you see yourself using?And the 6000 as a land based setup, can you be more specific as to how you may want to use it? What sort of fish do you want to target? Bait or lures? Braid or mono? Any extra info could help people to make suggestions.[/quote'']Thanks mate. Probably not going to bother setting up the 6000 as a boat rod. I have seriously run out of rod holders and hands. I reckon I'll be throwing lures up to 45 gr waxwings, 60 gram halco outcasts and the larger jig heads for SPs. I wouldn't mind be able to throw the duels up to 105 - maybe if I can justify the cost for those lures.Just on paper the Terez Med looks too heavy. Maybe either of these TCurve BlueWater Spin 1015 or this - TCurve Revolution Offshore 701 Spin? I don't know the Daiwa equivalent. I have 4 live fibre boat rods and like them a lot but they don't seem to cast as well as the pure graphite (only used a mates once).

Just had a look at the texalium Wilson lines and what texalium is. It appears it is only for cosmetic purposes and has the properties of normal fibreglass.http://www.carbonfibergear.com/colored-carbon-fiber-is-usually-texalium-but-what-is-texalium/Did a few more searches and the aluminium is definitely for looks. Any strength in the tex bit is probably a result of laying up more glass on the blank. Who'd of thunk it?