Anyone else had this happen before?

Guest Butters

now I know I have been knocking a few of these stories but the one about the seagull reminded me of a trip to Menindee lake fishindg for yellow belly(callop) with my wife Susan. The lake was fairly low and we were fishing behind the wier that lets water move from the Copi Hollow Lake to lake menindee. As the lake was very low the pelicans had congregated around the weir where we were fishing. There were probably about 25 to 30 of them. As we stated to catch a few fish they moved in closer and closer hoping for a free feed. The inevitable eventually happen ws my wife cast out a pelican moved in front of her and became hooked in the back before my wife could react the pelican took off and almost spooled my wife before she could cut the line. I thought it was quite funny but latter hoped the pelican would not become entangled in the line and die.Absolutely true story. I still tease Susan about catching a pelican

lost my motherinlaw overboard while fishing for mudcrabs once, took a long time to find her. When we did it was too late and she had drowned. I asked my brotherinlaw what should we do and he said"you grab the crabs and I will reset her. LOL joke ok

Ha ha ha. Rocket, can I send my mother in law fishing with u one day?Actually can ya take the wife too?

oops not sure what happened to my last post :Si meant to ask: rocknev was this down westlakes outlet a a month or 2 back? (mite of been more)coz i was fishing over the other side and i saw a guy catch a seagull :icon_eek: wondering if it may have been you??

nope... not me.... ive never fished anywhere near there.... i just hang around the rocks near whyalla, and the once time down to almonta beach.....but at least i know im not along in hooking a gull.... they nasty as well when you try and help them...pecked shit out of me :icon_lol:

im sure many of you who have fished whyalla waters would be familier with the friendly dolphins that get hand fed, and even some people put a fish in there mouth and the dolphins gently take it also...anyway, when they come around the boat and wont leave you just cast towards them and they get the hint and go else where....my dad (r.i.p.) did this as well, cept he didnt see the other dolphin behind it.... the whiting rig sort of went over it, and the dolphin took off at 100mph, dad hung on for dear life as the line screamed off, until the line became untangled by itself....

When I was a kid in Lincoln, we would often accidentally catch seagulls when throwing out our squid teasers.As we were removing them, the crew from the ships would run over to us, offering to buy them from us.This happened on several occasions, used to freak me out.

WTF....seagull pie? must be asians.....none else i know would even think of eating a gull.... then again, ive seen some asians eat shitties as well....we used to have a bloke at work do it all the time, that was his crib in summer... fresh shitties sandwiches....

WTF.... that was his crib in summer... fresh shitties sandwiches....I used to work with a woman that would chow down on a tupperware bowl full of what looked to be full of raw pillies.She would stick them in her mouth and eat the lot except the tail.Used to gross us out almost every lunch time,shame though as she was actually quite a nice looking piece,but one whiff of her breath was enough to even make a Blowfly spew. :o :o :o

RocknevHave you ever tried eating a Trumpeter (Shittie)? You sound like one of my nieghbourswho reckons that MY homebrew tastes like shit! He has NEVER tried my homebrew!!! but he tried another blokes homebrew about thirty years ago and it tasted like shit so, he thinks, mine must taste the same. Every body who has tasted my homebrew has come back for more. Perhaps, like me, the Asians that you mention can cook!!!! Like the dozens of Europians that came to my property every Christmas to catch carp for their christmas dinner! I have tried cooking carp every which way but, to me, it tasted awful. Then I was invited to dinner at a Russian's home and his wife served me baked carp which was yummy. I could not get the recipe however because she did not speak a word of English. So I still do not know how to cook carp.I have eaten large Trumpeter and they are very tasty, however, they are almost impossible to fillet, full of little sharp bones like a bony bream which is why they are not popular.RogerG

Guest Butters

WTF....seagull pie? must be asians

Dont have to be asians rocknev.. I have watched an old wog lady eat a whole gar, beak, head, guts and all.. just to see if they where fresh before buying a kilo at the markets.. and my mates parents also old wogs eat pigeons all the time..

RocknevHave you ever tried eating a Trumpeter (Shittie)? You sound like one of my nieghbourswho reckons that MY homebrew tastes like shit! He has NEVER tried my homebrew!!! but he tried another blokes homebrew about thirty years ago and it tasted like shit so, he thinks, mine must taste the same. Every body who has tasted my homebrew has come back for more. Perhaps, like me, the Asians that you mention can cook!!!! Like the dozens of Europians that came to my property every Christmas to catch carp for their christmas dinner! I have tried cooking carp every which way but, to me, it tasted awful. Then I was invited to dinner at a Russian's home and his wife served me baked carp which was yummy. I could not get the recipe however because she did not speak a word of English. So I still do not know how to cook carp.I have eaten large Trumpeter and they are very tasty, however, they are almost impossible to fillet, full of little sharp bones like a bony bream which is why they are not popular.RogerG

maybe they are tasty.... was telling a work mate about this thread this morning and he loves smoked shitties.....i will pass i think...the thought of them in a sandwich dont do a lot for me....

as for me eating fish or anything else from the ocean....PASS on that as welll. to me its all bait, to be used to catch something bigger.....caught a 43cm whiting on a 6.0 snapper hook last year, he got cut in half and sent back out to feed the 75cm snapper i landed with that bait....i dont keep a great deal of fish, just mainly for my kids, and my mum.... the rest goes back as bait,berley or catch and release in the case of snapper.....i just keep enough to keep the family fed....have kept around 20 of the 61 snapper to 9kg ive landed from the rocks this year so far....ALL legal, prob throw in another 30 or so undersize that were released.40 or so dogsharks,placed in a pond until i finish fishing then released, 21 stingrays, either landed and released or spooled me.... and im loving every minute of it....the price of bait is getting out of hand, so if i catch enough to feed something bigger then that works for me....and im fishing sometimes 5 times a week....(heading out tonight for the 6th day in a row.... out of the 5 trips previous ive got 5 snapper, kept just one. thats for christmas night at work since im working.... hes going on the BBQ....should keep the lads well fed.

hey rocknev has anyone told you 61 snaps to 9kg of the rocks is frigin AWSOME ;D

thanks..... just got back in from a late night rock hop... i got nothing...not even a touch.... bro in law landed 3 though.... he also showed me how to fillet them...im not game to have a go yet, as i just know i would make a mess of it... :icon_e_sad:

I was fishing for mullys in da lake, when i came across a snag, and yes i lost the lure,(my favorite),i then left the spot to buy a new one,got back to the same spot,tied on newly bought lure,After afew casts i hooked the snag again,but this time the lure came free,and with it came the lure i lost 20min before.Bonus 2 fav lures. :icon_lol:

I was fishing for mullys in da lake, when i came across a snag, and yes i lost the lure,(my favorite),i then left the spot to buy a new one,got back to the same spot,tied on newly bought lure,After afew casts i hooked the snag again,but this time the lure came free,and with it came the lure i lost 20min before.Bonus 2 fav lures. :icon_lol:

something similar happened to me last week... got to the rocks near lighthouse at 11:50pm, and it was lissing down, so i set the alarm for 12:30....FORGOT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN 00:30 and fell alseep in the car... D'OH i woke at 5:30 am.... walked down the steps, and there was a float in the water..... even with the waders on it was too far out, so didnt really bother with it that much.i then lost my float and squid jig near the same spot.no fish so after a couple of hours i headed around to backy bay for some salmon.... only small ones so couldnt be bothered.. headed back to the lighthouse and tide was out.went and got my jig back, and also scored the jo-zuri and a weighted caster float that i spotted earlier to add to the tackle bag.

Not fishing, more boat related. One day a few years ago myself and my brother in-law were driving from Adelaide to Pt Hughes for one of our adventures. We had driven about 2 k's past the Ardrossan turn off, heading towards the Hummocks when all of a sudden my Bro in-law yells "My boats gone!". I immediatly turned around to see an empty trailer and the boat leaning on its side on the side off the road about 500mtrs back. The winch cable snapped and with no safety chain the boat slid of the trailer and skidded down the highway for about 50mtrs. Luckily there were no other cars coming in the other direction and no-one behind us. The good old 16ft Seagull handled the road better than it did the water! We managed to get a couple of truckies to pull over and give us a hand to roll it back on to the trailer. We pulled out a few permapine fence posts and used them to convey and lift the boat back up onto the trailer enough to wind it back on again. The story continues....

Almost the same thing happened to a mate except he lost the trailer and all,the strange thing was he drove all the way from torrens island to Hackam before he noticed and when he did go back looking for it he didn't bother going down the trunkway and just went home.The cops rang my other mate because he was the previous owner and we went down there and found it in the bushes...not a scratch and nothing missing. cheers brenton

HAHAHA.... SIMILAR HAPPENED TO A MATE OF MINE...i used to race go karts, and we had a street meeting in pt pirie many years ago, good days race, and we all headed off back to whyalla.... about 3/4 way there we came across one of the blokes with a flat trailer tyre....he had just stopped and was in a panic....he opened the car boot to get the jack out, but the wheelbrace wouldnt fit the trailer nuts...no problem.... just open the back door of the boxed trailer and use the socket set...WTF is the door doing open and WTF is the kart? few of us headed back but only got about 5kms, when seen another karter on the side of the road, he was out in the bushes retrieveing 4grand of kart that had fallen out , and when the wheels hit the ground the engine had started and slowly rolled off into the scrub until it hit a wire fence.few scrathces but no major damage.

OK boys, no one at all is gonna believe this story ::)In a little mining village near my home town lived a pro lobster fisherman who told so many tall stories that he was known as "Billy Liar" ::) ::)Apparently he'd just got married and was proudly sporting a big Gold wedding ring on his left hand.Feeling the call of nature one day he popped into the toilet and while completing his ablutions he unknowingly flushed his wedding ring down the toilet.Shortly afterwards he realised the ring was gone and frantically searched every where without any luck.The next day he decided to catch some "pot' bait so pushed the boat out and amazingly caught the biggest Atlantic Cod he'd ever seen in his life.He couldn't wait to get home and show all his mates the Cod. Then when he had all his mates around he decided to clean the fish and guess what, the gold wedding ring fell out of the Cod's gut onto the filleting board ::) ::) ::)Another time he was out in his lobster boat, during the war, when a German submarine surfaced next to him and asked him the way to the River Tyne. After saying that he wasn't sure of the way, he hastily added, "don't sink us mate and I'll give you a couple of Lobsters" ::)And here is a TRUE story. When I first came to Aus, I had heard so much about Waitpinga that I couldn't wait to go down there.I was right into chasing mullet in my early days, so off I went with my 14 year old son to "Waits'My first cast with a 3 hook rig was snagged and I snapped off.Frustratingly, I had to tie on another trace as my son was pulling double headers in with every cast. 'Cos I was hurrying, I only had a 2 hook rig and finally got it into the surf.TRUE STORY: I snagged my original rig with 3 mullet on and had a double header on the new rig :fishing::o :o :o :o :o :oCheers, tonyb.