50lb braid or mono if its mono yes a bit heavy 20-30lb is more than enough I caught a 27lb snaps a few years back on 12lb mono. fishing lighter can get you more bites also more bust offs if the rest of the tackles not up to scratch. I like to fish for whiting with 15lb braid (much more bite sensitive, no stretch) & a rig made of mono with 15lb main & 12 or 10lb fluro carbon hook lenghts with size 6 mustard demon circle hooks or better still owner muto circles in 6 or8.

Depends when and where. You can go light if you can let them run. Near heavy structure you might need heavier line. I use 8lb fireline or 12lb nanofil when I fish from the yak for snapper and have caught fish to 80cm. I've caught reds to 60cm on 5lb braid without any problems. My 30lb red was caught on 30lb braid. The lighter the better goes for most types of fishing. 

What rod and reel are you using for reds and what 50lb line? Its quite hard to fish 50lb near its limit without high end tackle.

G'day

As Kelvin said it's all about where you fish.  I fish deep water, heavy sinkers, often drifting, various fish turn up including gummies and schoolies, then there's the snags.   Loosing quite a few heavy sinkers can really add to the days costs.  This all adds up to 50lb braid and 60 - 80 fluro or wire.  If you drifting out sinker free baits in shallow water you could go a lot less.

Mind you that day about 12 years ago, I caught some over 50cm whiting, the biggest 56cm, then an even bigger one, obviously best ever, right at the side of the boat it did a big head shake and bang went the 10lb line.  So even whiting fishing I tend to ante up somewhat now

Cheers

Rod 

It is not too heavy, many use handlines with 100lb line. However 20-30lb is more suitable and more fun when using a rod.

You do need to use a decent leader though 60lb plus. The knobber snapper are more common around this area and cut up lighter leaders for breakfast.

Hi All

Thanks for all your advice I went out and got a new reel today and 30lb Mono line, going out on Wednesday to try for snapper, was told to try checker buoy anyone have success's there?

Also got a descent whiting rod for the boat so fingers crossed.

Once again thanks to all that posted the advice give is very much appreciated

DSCF4109.JPG

not a big snapper fisho but 30lb is more than enough ;)

whiting different story basicaly all i fish for 10lb is min u should use imo as u need reflexs like a cat when striking so lighter could result too breakage also with hooks ALWAYS use mono filament line not pre tied as fish can see too ;)

theres a new brand of pre tied hooks around now called SAVAGE they use mono filament line ;)