Looking for a rod...

I'm looking at buying myself a more practical rod for light fishing off of rocks and light surf fishing. My current favourite outfit (which is by no means special) is a 6ft 2-5kg Silstar powertip rod with a Okuma avenger ABF30 reel thats spooled with 8lb mono. Now I love this setup as it is incredibly light and I can cast all day without any fatigue whatsoever.When I first started fishing I had no idea and didn't have a dad that wanted much to do with me so I sort of made it all up myself as I went along. My first reel had 30lb mono on it and surprisingly enough I didn't catch much for the first few years fishing :) Now I own a heap of books, read magazines and talk to people that fish regularly and my knowledge has improved tenfold. And now I've discovered this forum!Anyway, end of rant! I'm loving using light gear now and instead of using a 8-10kg rod I'd like a 2-5kg one. So I'm looking for an 8ft rod in the 2-5kg range. I've used my above mentioned setup successfully on quite a few fish including 3kg salmon at browns, good fun but would like to cast further.Thanks in advance for any helpCheers Tom

im looking for something similar something in the 2-5/8 range in 10/11 footin the summer wildcoast article on sheringa it looks like the author has onea bit like a cross between a surf rod and bream stickany ideassorry if i have taken your post of on a tangent cheers justin

Have had a mag bream since Adam was a boy :icon_e_surprised:, well it feels like it. Great rod for light tackle, but might be a tad too light for surf conditions in my view. Not sure that its a noodle, but probably better blanks around. The 6110 (i think that was the model :-[) would suit I think. I built mine up for over head and didnt like it, but as a spinning rod, I think it would have made a much better stickI recently had a PPS440 (again I cant recall the # exactly) extended and built up for my wife (read me ;D) from Rob Wilson at South Oz Rods this is a great stick, lighter, and better balanced than my mag bream. I actually prefer it to the mag.

Okay just had a look on the shimano site for you, doesnt look they make the backbone's anymore but have a "eclipse" in the range, I have no idea what they are like but they come in 8' and 2-4kg, here is a link http://www.shimanofish.com.au/publish/content/global_fish/en/au/index/products/rods/Spinning/eclipse.htmlAlso they make a catana in the same length and rating. Just depends how much coin you want to spendCheers

I had a catana a 602 2-4 kg think it was about 6ft. Not a good rod at all. Just felt wrong and on about the fourth trip with the rod it snapped wislt casting a small plastic. Replaced it with a texalium and vey happy. Wouldnt recommend the catana range but they are a good price. Would recommend looking at the live fibre range not sure if theres a 8ft 2-5kg range though.

For the money they seem like good rods Thats why i bought one but. When mine snapped i was very disappointed as it broke with no reason. It may have had a knock in transpot weakening it somewhere but i couldn't go there again so i upgraded to a texalium and the difference was huge. I'm not saying don't buy one its something that didn't feel right for me and i only had one bad experience. Go into your tackle store with your reel and try it on a few rods and see what the guys there say.

The mag bream is made of magraphite, which I beleive is a mix of 'glass and graphite (please correct me if I am wrong), mine cops a heap of abuse and still performs well. You can get them made shorter is ya wish as they suit trimming pretty well.

Ah, the light weight beach/rock rod. I too have been searching for one of these rare beasts for a very long time: something that will do for YFW at Minda and Southport or for bream at Hallett Cove. Recently Shakespere have taken to describing the Ugly Stik Gold 10ft. 1-5Kg., their "Blackfish Special", as also being an ultra-light beach/rocks rod. So to that end I ordered one from the Anglers Choice. I picked it up on Friday. Looking out the window the sea is a bit rough at the moment but when it calms down and the water clears a bit I will give the new beastie a try and let you know how it went. The cost wasn't too heavy on the pocket: $80. Other than that, after long web searches, the only other alternatives were either the Shakespeare Agility 10ft. 6in., 1-4Kg. (possibly a bit light for me) or a custom-built rod.Cheers,Andrew.

Hava a look at the Stix range, there may be something there you like. It may be hard to find somethining that casts further at the lighter class as most rods at 2-5kg will bottom out casting say 20g slices for salmon. Just have a look at the lure weight on the rod and make sure it's suitable. Idearly you want to pick a rod to suit what you are casting and I think you will struggle to find something that will cast 1g and 30g well. If your surf fishing using plastics it's a different story as the weights are much lighter but generally most people fish 40g+.My personal opinion, buy 2 rods, one that does the light stuff really well and one that does the surf stuff really well. Use the same real on each filled with 10-12lb braid (6lb and 12lb if you have 2 spools). You can get a good bream style stick for under $150 and about the same for a light 9ft graphite surf rod that will outcast most 12ft glass rods.

• 2 weeks later...

lol ;D Yeah was never a fan of the colour scheme on the new ones and heard of a few breaking :-\. They shouldve stayed with the old colour scheme nice rods for the money ;D.i guess theres noting wrong wiv the blue ones though 8) i i no id buy one over any other rod mentioned here..........as long as ya look after it of course ;)

shouldnt be too much for postage aye

You might be very surprised!Another member here ordered some gear from the sale catalogue, and spotter was kind enough to also bring the gear down on a frequent trip to Adelaide. A convenient pick-up point was organised and delivery cost was sweet bugger all!