nudge bar problem

the new ( to me) truck, has a nudge bar fitted, but tis really low, and REALLY close to the front of the car...not much use for anything really cept mounting the spotlights...i have a couple of rods i fish the rocks with.... both snyderglas', a 2 piece and a 1 piece.brothers all have one pieces, and transporting them has always been a problem... over the years, ive had the rod carriers that lock onto the gutter rail on the car, but these days...not many cars HAVE gutter rails...used to stick the rods out the side window, but the drumming noise and cold air coming in gets to ya after a while.so i had a look at the nudgebar again.had a brainwave, and went and bought 2 x 90 degree exhaust elbows.... TIG welded them into a U bend, then cut and shaped to fit the top of nudge bar.then a round disc with a welded nut on the back of it, was welded inside the cut outs.i can now mark, and drill the top of the nudge bar(stainless) fit crush tubes to stop from over tightening, and bolt them up...rod carriers will go onto the new tube,AWAY from the front of the car, and i can still open the bonnet with them on.total cost was 30 bucks for the elbows, and a couple of hours fabrication.the only forseeable problem MAY be trying to get the bolts into the top rung of the nudgebar from below.... aint a lot of room under there to get the right angle. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

ive just started to hear stuff like this on a 4wd forum im on as well.... hmmm... dont know about anywhere else, but in whyalla just about EVERY 4wd has the holders....no joke....i plan on removing these after each use...are they illegal to even put on when being used?

Nice job on the rod holder. Fairly sure that you can get pinged though. Might depend on the mood of the cops at the time. As you said most 4wds here seem to have em. Maybe they are lenient on it here but it is a safety issue in most states of Oz, somethin about bein sliced and diced by the rod holder ( must be after your legs are broken by the bull bar and head has gone through the windscreen :laugh: )

gidday allDont know about SA but NSW anything that protrudes past the front of the Nudge/bull/roo/or anything else you call it bar is illegal even driving lights etc,but if you raise the rod holder up and back so it is no further than the front of the nudge bar tube it should be ok.Like others have said on 4x4s you slill see all sorts of stuff sticking out the frontcheers peelipeeli 14

they all fitted now...and i MIGHT be lucky and they look like they are behind the nudge bar...JUST...but ive been offered an alloy roo bar off of a nissan patrol... will have a measure to see if it will fit or not... i could always start cutting and re welding it so it does fit... but will check it all out first.the rod holder will be taken off after each use i reckon.... im not one for tempting fate....

believe me...when it comes to cops, IM THE NICEST BLOKE YOU WILL EVER MEET...when i had my corvette, i got pulled over many times....at least 9 times im sure....was ALWAYS NICE...most times they just wanted to look at the car, and i even took photos of the cops sitting IN the car for them...even opening the bonnet so one car nut cop could check out the engine...that was my good deed.....one time when we had a few corvettes out for a cruise, i couldnt help myself.... i was the lead, and on a nice hill with a stop sign, somehow, both tyres broke traction and the others behind me disapeared in a mystery fog that blew in out of nowhere....top of the hill? yep... COP CAR.... what happened? NOTHING...I GOT A THUMBS UP from the bloke sitting in the car.phew.... took it home and stashed it away for a while.....anyway...here is the finished job....the rod sits a bit high...made a slight error of judgement...had it sitting lower, but the bonnet JUST touched it when i tried to open it.will try out this roo bar for size, but if it doesnt fit, i will lay the addidtion i made down a bit so the holder can be layed down a bit more.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Neat as. If all the authorities are worried about is accessories bein in front of the bar then you're on a winner. Top job.

one time when we had a few corvettes out for a cruise, i couldnt help myself.... i was the lead, and on a nice hill with a stop sign, somehow, both tyres broke traction and the others behind me disapeared in a mystery fog that blew in out of nowhere....top of the hill? yep... COP CAR.... what happened? NOTHING...I GOT A THUMBS UP from the bloke sitting in the car.

That doesnt happen very often. Although I did get the opportunity to drag (street race) a cop car once, with them being the instigator. An older cop driving and another older cop as passenger with 2 young coppers in the back. Every other time I was pulled up they were always trying to find reason to defect me. 2 low 2 loud etc. Bit hard when the car is built to the letter of the law though. :cheer: :cheer:

my old vette....1974 worked 400ci(6.6lt) HEAVY on juice... check a beachie was 10 bucks...NO KIDDING.took it to pt niel one time...2 1/2 tanks of juice there and back.entered it in 3 car shows....2nd 70-75 car, and the local car show it picked up a 1st for best 70's car...against 4 other vettes...Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Mmmmm V8.Gonna cry in my beer now. I miss mine so much. Worst thing is I got no piccies of me old van, dont even think I have any of the torana I later threw the same motor into. Took a video of that once around some industrial streets after hours but the sound didnt work on the video camera, and the sound was the best bit. Was just like bathurst had moved to the gold coast. :woohoo: :woohoo:P.S Nice vette

vb4me wrote:

Mmmmm V8.Gonna cry in my beer now. I miss mine so much. Worst thing is I got no piccies of me old van, dont even think I have any of the torana I later threw the same motor into. Took a video of that once around some industrial streets after hours but the sound didnt work on the video camera, and the sound was the best bit. Was just like bathurst had moved to the gold coast. :woohoo: :woohoo:

Mmm You know what they say about guys with Big Motors.. :laugh::laugh::P;) ( Really Runs and Hides ) Jokes!!! ;)
Big Ian wrote:

vb4me and Sandy whiting, one has to wonder as you both live under the same roof, if you are indeed the same person?Just wondering what the go is?

Hook line and sinker.. ;) No were not the same person, he is more arrogant than me :P;) yes Vb4me is my OH..Wondered how long you guys would take to figure that out.. ;) He mentioned the board to me, said it was great, so I joined, its hard being a part of a mans world these days.. ;) Hope Im still welcome.. :)

Undertaker WroteSandyWhiting wrote:Big Ian wrote:vb4me and Sandy whiting, one has to wonder as you both live under the same roof, if you are indeed the same person?Just wondering what the go is?Hook line and sinker.. No were not the same person, he is more arrogant than me yes Vb4me is my OH..Wondered how long you guys would take to figure that out..He mentioned the board to me, said it was great, so I joined, its hard being a part of a mans world these days..Hope Im still welcome..Oh well.....I suppose that's why I'm an undertaker and not a psychologist / doctor / profiler........at least I always have the final word Ranger WrotePosted ImageAnd she don't need no nudge bar!undertaker WroteShe looks like a cross between Arnie and Warwick Capper.You are one lucky chap Ranger........Does "she" prefer to "pitch" or "catch" ? Big Ian WroteSandyWhiting wrote:Wondered how long you guys would take to figure that out..Hope Im still welcome..I've known from the first day you signed up Sandy!Just wasn't clear on the details.Yes your still more than welcome hereRanger did your Mrs have a race and sex change while she was away? Ranger Wroteundertaker wrote:You are one lucky chap Ranger........Does "she" prefer to "pitch" or "catch" ?Who cares, coz I'm certainly not gonna argue wiv her..GULP! Sandywhiting WroteLMAO ranger...WOW!!Wouldn't wanna meet her in a dark alleyThanks Ian...I love the board..Iv learnt alot in the time Iv joined ..Now To Out Fish The OH

took the bar i made off, redrilled the nudge bar, so now the rod holder sits better and will get the rods closer to the roof...AND as a bonus...i can now open the bonnet with everything still attached..will test it in the morning at 5am when me and eldest bro heading rocks for snapper.then it will be taken off so i dont kebab anyone.not going to worry about fitting the roo bar i got given to me....not that hard to make some brackets up to attach it, but i dont like the idea of having to take off the front bumper,which has the headlight washers in it, will also mean i will have to cut the roo bar, so i can fit the indicators...