Biggest snapper

Some of my best captures to date.These are old pictures taken long before the use of digital cameras so please excuse the quality.Firstly, a 15kg LB Snapper taken at the start of my weeks holidays hence the frozen state as this pic was taken after I got back to Adelaide. size=480http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/7KcvN9ap__15kg_Wallaroo_Snapper.JPG[/img]

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd never caught a snapper until this weekend. Went out with my uncle and caught 3. My first ever snapper went a whopping 100cm - could not believe it. Going to be hard to wipe the smile off my face f

finally broke the 30lb and mtr mark this year at the stanvac barges (a while ago) we ended up with 6 fish over a mtr that day...

May not be my biggest red but it was certainly my biggest on light tackle, not bad for a Wednesday night after works effort.went 9450mm and a bit over 9.2kgCaught onRod: daiwa sol 2-4kg Reel: quantum

Posted Images

Last one. This fish was taken almost one year to the day of my previous best it went 16kg on a dodgey old set of brass spring scales and is my largest snapper to date. I almost didnt get this fish as I arrived to the spot late and saw another angler get his second as I was walking out to the spot. But I managed this one at the end of the day towards last light.I'll recount the story. The weather had been good for days leading up to this particular day with strong SW winds turning the water to a colour reminesent of coffee. This particular spot can be a problem in large seas and high tides so some care and planning needs to be taken to fish it. It was early afternoon and the tide was nearing its peak so I made the drive down to see if the water was too high to fish as I was planning on hitting the spot later that afternoon. As I came into the area we park the cars I could see that there was already a car there so my attention was turned to the rock to see how many people were already on it. Two people are really the maximum this spot will fish because its small. I sat there in the car watching for a few minutes when I noticed this angler get up to his rod and strike. I wasnt sure if I was watching an angler trying to free his line from a snag or one fighting a fish. I watched for a little longer until I was sure it was no snag. I still wasnt sure what it was, but snapper was definately on my mind. As I said I hadnt planned to start fishing for a few hours yet so nothing was ready and I had only just taken the bait out to thaw. No matter, I quickly drove back to the shack, collected my gear and headed back to the spot. I reackon, I've never walked the distance to this spot as quickly. Sweat was pouring off me. As I came out from behind the hill I sa my destination and the other angler on the rock. I readied my gear and started the trek across the shallows to the ledge. The water was high, probably higher than I would have attempted on my own, but I knew the reddies were there and as I drew closer to the ledge I could see what looked like a good fish in a small pool inside one of the rocks. I was getting excited. I was wet to the bone as the waders I was wereing resembled swiss cheese and this made moving around and getting onto the ledge difficult, but I made it. Sitting down to empty my waders, I heard the alvey of my colleague sing out with that tune. The angler got up waited for the fish to come back and feeling its weight struck. I couldnt get my gear together fast enough. Fumbling and cursing all the time trying to keep my cool so as not to bugger things up. It wasnt long before that fish was landed, we fished heavy line on these stones usually a minumum of 10kg line, some even heavier, and I thought my time would come. Baiting the tommy fillet I cast out and waited, waited , waited and waited. Nothing. Then my colleague had another run and hook up. This fish was smaller and brought to the waiting gaff much more easily than the last. This was at a time when we had just been handed down new bag limits on snapper and my colleague now had three reds, two over 60cm and one under. Neither of us was sure about the new rules so with this he left. He hadnt done to badly though as both of the larger fish were in the 9-11kg bracket. With this I thought mine wouldnt be too far away now.Wrong, I waited, and waited and waited again for zip. I couldnt believe my bad luck. I was the only one here now and hoping / praying that the fish would make another visit. Another group arrived a few hours later to try their luck also. I was now on the larger of the two rocks which was good for me and they occupied the smaller of the two. There ws only two of them so it wasnt too bad there. Things were very quiet and the day was fast approaching its end. My mind was wondering and I wasnt paying much attention when one of my new colleagues let out a loud "WHOA look at that" almost immediately, the alvey started singing. I picked up the rod as the run had stopped to find line wrapped around the handles {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif I quickly got this fixed hoping that the fish would come back. Come back it did. I waited till the loose line I had in the water was almost gone and then stuck coming up tight to my adversary. The fight was a ripper an when I had finally got the thing to the gaff I was buggered and sweating. It was an absolute beast and I was one happy chappy. I had to make two trips back to the car for this fish, one with the gear and the other with the fish, both were long walks this time around, but it dint mater to me as I was over the moon 8) size=287http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/EbsfxRcZ__16kg_Wallaroo_Snapper.JPG[/img]

the 20kg snapper that you may have heard of may have been this one.initially weighed at 19kg, we did a scales check with local butcher shop & it converted to a fraction over 20kg.(checked on 3 sets of scales)112cm long & fat from head to tail. we also got anothet in the mid 16kg bracket same day which was a nobber & a fraction longer 20mins earlier & lost another boatside in a 4 way hookupcaught by Stuart Sluggett from Mildura on Fuzzells Fishing Adventures out deep from Arno Bay.CheersBigAshps not trick photography here, Big fish being held by a Big Man.Posted Image

hell of a fish mate....seen it on tv last night getting landed.....must have been feeding up on pellets from the fish farm..... well done to the angler.its a pity that on another forum from new zealand that they bagging the fish and saying its a fake.....and also bagging australia, as they do.....news for the new zoolanders....." ive seen your snapper efforts on video.....getting excited about an "massive" 9kg fish isnt really that great.....you want a snapper? come to whyalla...a 9kg is cut up for berley"http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/fo ... PID=407250

• 3 weeks later...

my biggest yet. went 14.1 kilo caught about a month ago. using gar on threee kilo braid. took about ten mins went under ancor rope twice. {SMILIES_PATH}/smiley.gif [file name=jD0Z45oK__14.1snapper size=52177]http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/jD0Z45oK__14.1snapper[/file] [file name=uoU4SBmE__14.1_snappy size=40133]http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/uoU4SBmE__14.1_snappy[/file]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...