hey all just a quickie..are abu 7000c3i's any good for the surf??want something that will have a good crack at something big if by chance it wants to have a crack at my line.reason being i can get one for $150 at my local.if not can you suggest something else in similar price range?does not have to be a overhead, egg beaters are fine.thanks fellas!

I have to disagree with a lot of the other posts. I feel that overheads are the best reels off the beach and for fighting big fish. They will cast much further in the hands of someone who knows how to use them and are much better at picking up line on tough fish. Yes it sucks if you drop it in the sand and they're a bit tougher to use in the dark until you get used to it, but if you're halfway decent at casting one in the day you shouldn't have much trouble. As far as those newer Abus (the ones that end with an "i" ) I have heard that they are not nearly as good as the older ones, but I have never used one myself.

I agree with you plankton, overheads are good in the surf as in case ya hook up a shark or a ray it pays to have to decent line capacity. Plus in some places like the murray mouth, line capacity is important as in strong currants the fish can spool ya with a spinning reel so the overheads really pay in places with currents.

Guest undertaker
benny wrote:

I agree with you plankton, overheads are good in the surf as in case ya hook up a shark or a ray it pays to have to decent line capacity. Plus in some places like the murray mouth, line capacity is important as in strong currants the fish can spool ya with a spinning reel so the overheads really pay in places with currents.

Thats why you use a reel like a Penn SpinFisher 9500ss that is loaded with 450m of 50lb braid for "serious" surf fishing.........7000's going to get spooled before that :P 7000's are great reels,don't get me wrong,I've had several B)
plankton wrote:

I have to disagree with a lot of the other posts. I feel that overheads are the best reels off the beach and for fighting big fish. They will cast much further in the hands of someone who knows how to use them and are much better at picking up line on tough fish. Yes it sucks if you drop it in the sand and they're a bit tougher to use in the dark until you get used to it, but if you're halfway decent at casting one in the day you shouldn't have much trouble. As far as those newer Abus (the ones that end with an "i" ) I have heard that they are not nearly as good as the older ones, but I have never used one myself.

you aint seen me cast an alvey then have you...ive also got an abu7000, the alvey PISSES on it for casting.and from the beach? thats what they were built for.if they fall over, wash em IN the surf, and carry on.doesnt need gears... one turn i reckon will be more line retrieved than an abu
rocknev wrote:

you aint seen me cast an alvey then have you...ive also got an abu7000, the alvey PISSES on it for casting.and from the beach? thats what they were built for.if they fall over, wash em IN the surf, and carry on.doesnt need gears... one turn i reckon will be more line retrieved than an abu

I've never used an Alvey but I have heard that they are great for surf fishing. I like the fact that there are so few moving parts and, like you say, it can just be dunked in the water for a clean. Is it easy to learn to cast one? I may have to borrow one sometime and give it a go.

The 7000 are a great reel,but in my opinion you should see if you can source out a Swedish one ,a whole new ball game from the newer ones that are now made in china.And for 25 dollars get the drag upgrade as brenton suggests.I use eggys,Alveys and OH, depending on what takes my fancy at the time and love them all,they all have their merits.In the overheads I have an ABU 6500 and a Penn 525 mag Xtra[have to get them from either UK or US] which is purely designed for surf fishing,and basic in its exterior design,as to minimise sand and water entry,but an absolute superb piece of kit in every aspect in the way of drag performance ,casting ,and line retrieval.Would only be a handful of people that own one here in SA.Cheers B)

Cal's post made me think, with the Aussie dollar really strong against the US dollar right now it's a great time to buy gear from the states. Having moved here from the US, I was really shocked a the high price of certain fishing gear, especially reels and braid. That being said, my favourite beach overheads are the Daiwa Sealine X series. They're excellent casters and the drags are great. I've got the 50 size on my big beach rod and I run300 yards of 40 lb mono on it, and I want to get the 30 size to replace the Penn 777 Enforcer I've got (the forerunner to the Kimberleys, made right along side the newer Abus at the Omoto factory). The SL-X30 will hold 300 yards of 20 lb test and is a much better reel than the 7000 and you can get one for $120 USD. On the news last night I think the AUD was getting around 0.87 USD, I usually like to support local shops, but with such a favorable exchange rate I'll probably have to order one from the US, plus I'm not sure if the even sell that model in Australia, the Daiwa site only shows the SL-X50.

plankton wrote:

rocknev wrote:

I've never used an Alvey but I have heard that they are great for surf fishing. I like the fact that there are so few moving parts and, like you say, it can just be dunked in the water for a clean. Is it easy to learn to cast one? I may have to borrow one sometime and give it a go.
didnt take me long to get the hang of it....i went to a school oval, tide sinker to the mainline...and threw the hell out of it.i love my alvey...its me reel of choice.winding in can be a pain sometimes is its well out there, but you get used to it.you need a special rod for an alvey, but its one of the most comfortable to use , as its down low in your groin...no tired arms relling in at shoulder hight like most surf rods with the really long butt.the ratchet is LOUD to put it blutly.many times ive took mates out with their egg beaters, and you just wouldnt know they had a fish on if you didnt see the rod bend.