HIDDEN AGENDAS

Gday blokes,I placed a thread on another fishing website about the ever increasing blatant agendas by many on the site including some moderators. There is to me a distinct group that are all about self promotion. When someone outside THEIR group promotes an outsider they are shutdown and virtually gang raped by this core group. I'll give an exampleThreads have arisen asking advice on good tackle stores, I have provided my opinion, sharing my experiences and saying that Ray n annes have always been been up there, next day my post had been removed without any explanation. Leaving only the threads and posts that promoted their core group.This has happened to many times on a number of threads.I asked the question whether it is a public forum or a paid fishing commercial website. One of the moderators lets call him "Fanny " commented that we havent deleted this one have we?Ten minutes later my thread was gone, again without explanation. Is it on ? Can they do this on a public forum ?If someone pays for an add so be it, you get your add but as members dont we have the right to voice our oppinions? I thought that was the purpose of the site ?

i would say you can voice your oppinions in any way you like as long as its not promoting your own buisiness for personel gain if you are just helping another member get what they need at the right price i wouldnt think it would be an isue..but it never hurts to promote our sponsors stores if they have the same product at the same good price..

It seems to me that no matter how civilized we like to think we are the "pack" or "herd" mentality always appliesSeems like some people are just laws unto themselves, get a bit of "power" behind them and off they go.Ive been abused by a modertaor on another site, and contrary to the sites own rules, and the Mod has simply denied it :huh: I wonder why they lose so many members Highfly wrote:

One of the moderators lets call him "Fanny " commented that we havent deleted this one have we?

Fanny ? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Highfly, what happens on other websites is of little consequence to us, and we can't really comment on how staff of other websites choose to regulate their forums. All I can suggest is that if you are not happy with their methods, you formally take it up with them.What we can comment on, is how things are done here at Strikehook!We try to allow freedom of speech and we attempt to limit interference from staff wherever possible, but we do have a set of guidelines to follow when using the site. One of our guidelines directly relates to advertising.

2. Under no circumstance may a commercial entity use Strike & Hook as a place to advertise without prior approval from management. For more information please click here

Here at Strikehook we would try to determine whether your offered advice was merely an honest attempt by an angler (with no affiliation to the store) to help a fellow angler with genuine advice, or whether it was a blatant attempt at free advertising.If you are genuinely attempting to help a fellow angler by offering honest advice, we really don't mind if you mention another store, manufacturer, item or service provider if they offer something our sponsors do not.However, if you were plugging a non-sponsor store you had some affiliation with, naturally we would not allow this, as it's a blatant attempt to promote someone who is in direct competition with our sponsor stores.Of course our site sponsors help pay the bills and keep the site operating, so naturally we show loyalty, promote our sponsors and encourage members to deal with sponsor stores.In the example you have provided. If you believe Ray and Annes offer exemplary value and service, and you provided this information to honestly and genuinely help another fisherman with their enquiries in the local area, we would have no problem with you mentioning this in reply, even if we DID prefer that you promoted a site sponsor instead.If however you worked for the store, or perhaps you were sponsored by the store, then we would most certainly have a problem with your promotion of their store here, your post would be deleted and you would be sent a written explanation and warning.We make every attempt to support and show loyalty to our sponsor stores, and we would hope that our members would also support these sponsors, as the sponsors are the one's who help pay the bills and provide this site for us all.Don't support or be loyal to the sponsor stores, then the bills don't get paid, the site closes down, and you all go somewhere else to talk fishing, where the rules may not be as lenient!We DO understand that you lot are fishermen, and you DO want to talk fishing equipment and tackle, so we try to allow the freedom for you to say what you please wherever possible, and reach a happy medium.We look at each item individually and judge each on it's own merit or lack thereof.I think it's all give and take: Sponsors help us, so we help sponsors. If members are honest we allow leeway, but if members are dishonest we shut things down. I would ASK that when providing advice on the forums, that each member consider carefully the advice they are giving out, and always attempt to support sponsor stores over non-sponsoring competitors in the area.I hope this has helped to answer your question, and that you are satisfied with the methods we employ here at Strikehook.PS: I'll chat to Aarron, to see what we can do about also employing a moderator named "Fanny" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I hope this doesn't follow you around the net Highfly.Because if its the site I don't visit any more I'll tell you out in the open.It followed me to another forum (nothing to do with fishing) where the head honcho had a crack at me over the other fishing forum( a couple of weeks back ) .Mind you I had totally forgotten about that other site .fishing maybe quiet but not surfing the net :) Tightlines matePSMods I hope that was ok to post that .

Mickyj wrote:

I hope this doesn't follow you around the net Highfly.Because if its the site I don't visit any more I'll tell you out in the open.It followed me to another forum (nothing to do with fishing) where the head honcho had a crack at me over the other fishing forum( a couple of weeks back ) .Mind you I had totally forgotten about that other site .fishing maybe quiet but not surfing the net :) Tightlines matePSMods I hope that was ok to post that .

Mickeyj we don't want to promote bagging other people or other sites, as we don't really care what is done on other related websites. Our only concern (apart from the fishing of course) is what happens here at strikehook and the conduct of our members here at strikehook.Having said that, if you believe someone from any website (including this one) is stalking, defaming or harassing you, by using electronic media or any other means, keep in mind there are laws to prevent that, and you would be well within your rights to report it.
Ranger wrote:

Mickyj wrote:

Mickeyj we don't want to promote bagging other people or other sites, as we don't really care what is done on other related websites. Our only concern (apart from the fishing of course) is what happens here at strikehook and the conduct of our members here at strikehook.Having said that, if you believe someone from any website is stalking or harassing you, by using electronic media or any other means, keep in mind there are laws to prevent that, and you would be well within your rights to report it.
Nah mate cant be bothered .I think he needed to say what he did and it was only a snide remark(it was amongst a rather heated discussion that got deleted) and not on the forum I think Highfly is talking about.Personally I think no one involved with my problem got or gets my thinking .Hopefully this year knee and weather permitting I'll get some pictures of fish to prove them wrong!! Sometimes thinking outside the box leads one to trouble :)
Mickyj wrote:

Ranger wrote:

Mickyj wrote:

Mickeyj we don't want to promote bagging other people or other sites, as we don't really care what is done on other related websites. Our only concern (apart from the fishing of course) is what happens here at strikehook and the conduct of our members here at strikehook.Having said that, if you believe someone from any website is stalking or harassing you, by using electronic media or any other means, keep in mind there are laws to prevent that, and you would be well within your rights to report it.
Nah mate cant be bothered .I think he needed to say what he did and it was only a snide remark(it was amongst a rather heated discussion that got deleted) and not on the forum I think Highfly is talking about.Personally I think no one involved with my problem got or gets my thinking .Hopefully this year knee and weather permitting I'll get some pictures of fish to prove them wrong!! Sometimes thinking outside the box leads one to trouble :)
And I hope this doesn't start up my little conflict again!!

This one specific thread some bloke asked what tackle stores can we as members recommend. I offered the abovementioned and gave a brief rundown of my experiences. I do not work for them, I do not get any benefits whats so ever from them. I dont even buy my tackle from them. In the past looking for two decent outfits for a mate we went to a number of stores. Negotiated everyone down on price and got our best price from a then Got One store on Tapley Hill Rd. We went to Ray and annes and the price he had on the ticket was better than any price we where able to negotiate at the other stores. We returned to the got one store on Tap. Hill Rd and told the bloke ( someone I considered a mate at the time). We are happy to buy it from you if you match the price R&A had on the ticket. He said " I'd rather leave it on the shelf than sell it to you at that price" This is a bloke I considered a mate and visited his shop at least once a week. This is how I formed my oppinion on the store. On the other site in responding to the blokes question on Tackle stores I didnt even go into this detail I just said there prices are great. Next day my two lines where deleted and the stores others mentioned left behind. It would appear the tackle store question wasnt real their mates put it up so they could self promote themselves. Is this a public forum or a commercial. Of late their bias has gotten so bad its beyond a joke and I believe possibly illegal. This has happened to me on a number of occasions and I usually let it go. Sorry guys just venting. :):):) Ive got it out of my system I can let it go now. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I can see both sides of the picture here. On one hand its important to promote the sponsors that help the site and pay for the right to advertise their businesses. If they are handing over cash to promote their shop then surely everyone can see why they might get slightly annoyed when someone steps up and uses these pages in a backdoor way free of charge.However this must only apply as Ranger has mentioned if the plugging is done by someone directly involved with the company.If a member is constantly telling all that Joe Blows Tackle Shop is fantastic and so cheap on a regular basis then I would suggest its time for the mods to act and remove these plugs but if in general helpful information another shop is mentioned then I feel this is completely fine and no need for comment.Its then up to sponsors to perhaps come on and match or better or use their right to promote their business in the thread. Also this should be done in a civilized manner to avoid further confrontation as they should also post under the same rules as the rest of us.To maintain a level well informed site all of the above need to be adhered to in my opinion. Some sites have seemed to fall into the ridiculous situation where they cause more problems for themselves and create very awkward situations and bad feeling by ruling with such iron fists. Common sense needs to be applied.I shop around and visit most stores this side of town at some stage and buy from all of them when I find what Im looking for and at a price Im prepared to pay.Sponsors once again in my opinion need to be active and its up to them to use these pages for their own promotions. They have an area for this and should use it REGULARLY to justify the money they pay.Sponsorship should not just be an excuse to stop their competitors names from being mentioned in threads. Something once again other sites so called sponsors seem to be doing.So come on sponsors keep those specials coming get us all interested in handing over our hard earned bucks and get us into your stores. Once we come through your doors youve got us errrr do I dare say hook line and sinker :P If we find the experience a pleasure then Im sure we will all come back again and again.Lets face if all the Tackle Shops in Adelaide wanted to be paying sponsors on this site wouldnt it be better than allowing just one shop to hold a monoply and stop anyone else from being mentioned FULL STOP.These are my thoughts on the subject anyway.cheerssnapps

Mick013 wrote:

Highfly wrote:

from a then Got One store on Tapley Hill Rd.

Good post snaps, i agree completely. Essentially people decide by the dollar, so if a sposor can lure me in with the best price ill shop there ALWAYS... Until then R&A have my business.Just my oppinion.
I bought my last reel from R & A no worries a thumbs up from me.But have found while i'm not buying much its coming from an online store in Coffs Harbour last thing I bought was on my doorstep 11am next morning .

Spot On Snapps ;) (no pun intended)Perhaps instead of complaining about the mention of other stockists / suppliers & stores, they could use this forum & the thoughts of some of it members to ask "What are they doing that we arent?"Like most things, there is good & bad with everything. Have had some good experiences with site sponsors and also some bad ones. Would like to help support the sponsors with my patronage where possible, but find it hard to so when promises arent delivered or are misrepresented.

Ranger wrote:

Mick013 wrote:

Essentially people decide by the dollar, so if a sposor can lure me in with the best price ill shop there ALWAYS...

Would you be happy if a sponsor agreed to match any genuine price you can get elsewhere?
For sure i would. Sadly however, since ABT closed down the closest one to me would be tackle and tucker (I live near pt adelaide). i did go in there a couple times when i was fishing at st kilda and i must say the guy who owns it (sorry dont know his name) was the most hepful tackleshop owner ive ever met.Ive learnt so much from this site and the people on it, id be happy to support anyone who supports the site.
Mick013 wrote:

Ranger wrote:

Mick013 wrote:

Essentially people decide by the dollar, so if a sposor can lure me in with the best price ill shop there ALWAYS...

Would you be happy if a sponsor agreed to match any genuine price you can get elsewhere?
For sure i would. Sadly however, since ABT closed down the closest one to me would be tackle and tucker (I live near pt adelaide). i did go in there a couple times when i was fishing at st kilda and i must say the guy who owns it (sorry dont know his name) was the most hepful tackleshop owner ive ever met.Ive learnt so much from this site and the people on it, id be happy to support anyone who supports the site.
I live past Port Adelaide mate there are two in the Port area .but that is by the by :)