Biggest Yellow Fin Whiting

G"day Des, I use to have my photo in the shop at St Kilda, from many years ago of a 47cm fish I caught at the breakwater there.It was the only fish i caught, and the guy in the shop took a pic and put it on the "brag board".It was pure a#se as at the time I was using whitebait going for salmon trout {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif

Hi Cal,That would have been a ripper mate! Fluke or no fluke. Caught on whitebait is no surpprise. I have on a few occasions come across whitebait in the stomach contents of the large yellow fin. I might in fact give it a try sometime & report back here. Thanks for the feedback.CheersDes

I used to fish the St Kilda break water a bit also and my PB is from there and went 43cm. There used to be an old guy that always fished out there with heavy line, a stiff old rod and penn reel for cranking them straight in. He was a gun and the best fish I saw him catch was 48cm and was so fat that it would have definately cracked the 1kg mark.Drawn

Hi DrawnThis "old guy" at St Kilda, do you know what bait and rig he would use for the yellow fin whiting? I am a bit of a yellow fin addict and am looking to target the larger specimens. They are great fighters, more so in shallow water and very light gear makes it great sport. When you finally land them they are great tasting too. Thanks for the info.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I got a 52cm YFW in 2007 at the ABT grand Final in Lake McQuarie, It took a rebel pop-r lure in about 3 feet of water. No pics cause the bream were on, I did put it in the well though for the rest of the day to show other interstate anglers who are unaware of such beasts...